Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Aussies are wonderful

Wikiposts

Aussies are wonderful

Old Oct 26th 2008, 9:00 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Aussies are wonderful

I decided to try the train for the airport from Sydney to Melbourne I left myself plenty to miss as I'm a bit disabled I spoke to the guard told him where I needed to get off and he said he would be there to take my suitcase off
I arrive at wolli creek no guard, I try to get off by myself and get my foot arm and walking stick out when the train doors shut and the train moves off I manage to pull my body in through the rubber but my stick is caught outside I'm terrified.
I am very upset the people in the carriage help me get my stick in and ask me what I was doing the next few train stations have no lift but 2 kind men help me off 3 stations down carry my suitcase over the steps to the platform and help me over them
One man puts my suitcase on the train GETS ON THE TRAIN WITH ME and travels back to Wolli creek where he helps me off and goes to catch a train back to his destination!
What fantastically kind people I have advertised in the paper for their names but they haven't come forward.
I find many Aussies have the same kind of sheer kindness and consideration

However I won't be using the train again for long journeys that really scared me
Old Oct 26th 2008, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

shabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Aussies are wonderful

How awful for you!
I have found that the people over here will go out of their way to help you though.
You should put in a compaint
x
Old Oct 26th 2008, 9:29 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats quite a story! It does restore faith in human nature, doesnt it?

Only yesterday there was a disabled man in Target sitting down trying to try on slippers and a young school girl knocked over his walking stick.. her Mum apologised and the girl picked it up and it started a convero between them... the chap said that he was having trouble finding a slipper that fitted him, so the mum told him to sit himself there and she'll go off and get some for him to try on!

The chap was so over the moon ! Makes you remember how easy certain tasks are for able bodied people and its great that she used it to help someone who was struggling!

Em x
Old Oct 26th 2008, 11:09 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher
I decided to try the train for the airport from Sydney to Melbourne I left myself plenty to miss as I'm a bit disabled I spoke to the guard told him where I needed to get off and he said he would be there to take my suitcase off
I arrive at wolli creek no guard, I try to get off by myself and get my foot arm and walking stick out when the train doors shut and the train moves off I manage to pull my body in through the rubber but my stick is caught outside I'm terrified.
I am very upset the people in the carriage help me get my stick in and ask me what I was doing the next few train stations have no lift but 2 kind men help me off 3 stations down carry my suitcase over the steps to the platform and help me over them
One man puts my suitcase on the train GETS ON THE TRAIN WITH ME and travels back to Wolli creek where he helps me off and goes to catch a train back to his destination!
What fantastically kind people I have advertised in the paper for their names but they haven't come forward.
I find many Aussies have the same kind of sheer kindness and consideration

However I won't be using the train again for long journeys that really scared me
Oh Ash, that must've been very scary for you

How lovely of that man to get the train back with you, what a really really kind thing to do. That's made my heart warm that has.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 11:17 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shabee
How awful for you!
I have found that the people over here will go out of their way to help you though.
You should put in a compaint
x
I thought they were really lovely!
I have complaied

Originally Posted by emelems
Thats quite a story! It does restore faith in human nature, doesnt it?

Only yesterday there was a disabled man in Target sitting down trying to try on slippers and a young school girl knocked over his walking stick.. her Mum apologised and the girl picked it up and it started a convero between them... the chap said that he was having trouble finding a slipper that fitted him, so the mum told him to sit himself there and she'll go off and get some for him to try on!

The chap was so over the moon ! Makes you remember how easy certain tasks are for able bodied people and its great that she used it to help someone who was struggling!

Em x
Oh that's nice
people can be so kind

Originally Posted by Clippy
Oh Ash, that must've been very scary for you

How lovely of that man to get the train back with you, what a really really kind thing to do. That's made my heart warm that has.
I wish they had come forward so I could say thanks properly it was all a bit of a rush then It was so nice It made me cry I turned up at the airport blubbing
Old Oct 26th 2008, 11:19 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

I wish they had come forward so I could say thanks properly it was all a bit of a rush then It was so nice It made me cry I turned up at the airport blubbing
I would have been the same! Oh what a shame they didn't come forward, they must've not seen the ad.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 11:36 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

...I find many Aussies have the same kind of sheer kindness and consideration...
We've found that too. The Geek flattened the battery on our courtesy car, it wouldn't start in a shopping mall car park at lunchtime and no less than 4 people came across to see if they could help, offer jump leads, etc., when they probably should have been heading back to work. After the MEMEME mentality of Asia he was gobsmacked.

Incidents like this make it all the more confusing to me why drivers can be such arses and blast their horns if you aren't already half way across the junction by the time the light turns green. (One of my pet gripes.)
Old Oct 26th 2008, 12:00 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

Awww Ash, that sounds awful, glad your ok.
Theyre are some lovely people here - sounds like you had some crackers looking out for you xxxxx
Old Oct 26th 2008, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Seasider
We've found that too. The Geek flattened the battery on our courtesy car, it wouldn't start in a shopping mall car park at lunchtime and no less than 4 people came across to see if they could help, offer jump leads, etc., when they probably should have been heading back to work. After the MEMEME mentality of Asia he was gobsmacked.

Incidents like this make it all the more confusing to me why drivers can be such arses and blast their horns if you aren't already half way across the junction by the time the light turns green. (One of my pet gripes.)
Yeah I know what you mean about Asia

I have had a fair few push past me to get stuff and knock me over my OH gets so mad when they can see I have a walking stick!

I'm afraid my OH is starting to pick up this awful habit too you wait stay here long enough..........
Old Oct 26th 2008, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

Blimey Kim, how awful! Glad you are OK.

If you need a lift to the airport outside work time in the future, let me know...

x
Old Oct 26th 2008, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by medwaymark
Blimey Kim, how awful! Glad you are OK.

If you need a lift to the airport outside work time in the future, let me know...

x
aww thanks Mark
I was trying to be independant!!
I wanted to see if I could do it I gave myself ages to do it but now I know I need to take a taxi !!
Old Oct 26th 2008, 1:53 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I feel I should add, when I had a bad fall in Singapore, people were lovely. I don't think it hurt that I fell near a pre-school and all the assistants were on their way back from lunch, but still - they rang my husband, my doctor's surgery, got me some ice for my wrist, helped the nurse get me into a taxi...even said they'd pray for me.

I know Rudi on here has a very different tale to tell, about the time her husband fell in the underpass whilst carrying a small child, and I'm afraid this was initially in my mind as I sat on the ground in agony in the midday sun. Somebody even tried to nick his handphone while he was down Drivers don't even get out of the way for ambulances there. We were told people are afraid of being sued if they get involved and something goes wrong. What a world we live in.

asher, you put me to shame. I must be a big brave girl soon and get on a train to Cronulla.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Seasider
asher, you put me to shame. I must be a big brave girl soon and get on a train to Cronulla.
Hey, Cronulla isn't that bad you know
Old Oct 26th 2008, 4:19 pm
Auntie Fa

I've been lazy, Mark - if it's not on the North Shore line, I don't go.

Mostly attributable to the shock to my system of moving here in Winter, but these days I've no excuse. Did venture down as far as Bundeena the other weekend, but that was in the car.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yeah, must admit we go in the car....only use public transport if I have to go to Sydney

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.