Aussies are selfish

Old Mar 9th 2008, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Aussies are selfish

Right. Controversial I know, but my biggest gripe about Australians is that they couldn't give a damn about what other people want, need or think.

I have tons of examples, but here is my current one.

We have two young kids, one is almost 1, the other is 2 and a bit. We got them to bed by 7pm one night, and the next door neighbor decided to cut his grass right outside the 2 year olds window in the dark at 7pm. It woke her up.

So Mrs JTL went upstairs to deal with Beth, I went out to deal with the neighbor. He was not a happy chappy to be told he couldn't cut his grass in the dark outside my daughters window at 7:15pm.

1 month later. 8pm, both kids asleep, all good. Horrendous noise of a muscle car starts up, both kids wake, Mrs JTL runs upstairs to deal with them, I go out to see what the hell that noise is. Its the same flipping neighbor. With his grown up kid, and his friends, and we have an argument, and they cant see the problem of revving a motorbike, really really loud motorbike, right outside out childrens bedrooms.

Depressing thing is, he is our neighbourhood watch representative

But the thing is, thats just a sample of how uncaring Australians are in life. I'm constantly shocked by how self centred many of them are.

(I know thats a massive generalisation, and I'm sure some aussies would be a bit embarrassed to know that revving their f*ing motorbike woke up two kids):curse:

JTL

</IMG>
Old Mar 9th 2008, 1:17 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussies are selfish

When we were in Darwin, there was a dude who would rev his bike outside the front of the building (essentially under our window) at about 6 each morning. It's different when you have babies though and the neighbours should be more considerate.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 1:20 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

It is a massive generalisation.

You might as well say that all English people are selfish too.

There are some people who's kids have grown up who just aren't in the 'zone' any more and sometimes it's good to remind them... for sure.
And then there are of course, selfish people, whether they're Aussie, or English, or Mesopotanian....

But I know plenty of Aussie people who wouldn't dream of cutting the grass at such an hour, or letting their kids rev their bikes....
So, I think it's your neighbours, not the whole nation.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 1:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
It is a massive generalisation.

You might as well say that all English people are selfish too.

There are some people who's kids have grown up who just aren't in the 'zone' any more and sometimes it's good to remind them... for sure.
And then there are of course, selfish people, whether they're Aussie, or English, or Mesopotanian....

But I know plenty of Aussie people who wouldn't dream of cutting the grass at such an hour, or letting their kids rev their bikes....
So, I think it's your neighbours, not the whole nation.
As I said I've tons of examples

A house over the back have a huge shed that their teenage kids use for band pracrice. When I say its loud I mean it's LOUD

We had friends over one weekend, and this band practice nonsense started up,so loud we couldn't hear each other speak. So with a bit of research, I found out the house number and phone number, and called them up and asked them to stop because we had guests.

Unbelievably I got abuse from the mother saying, would I rather they were out hooning and taking drugs . Uhhhhmmm are they the only options for your kids? Anyway, it didn't go well, they thought it was their right to terrorise the entire neighbourhood with the pathetic rendetions of 'summer of 69', while we were trying to have a quiet afternoon on the patio with our guests and our kids.

Come back Bryan Adams, all is forgiven

JTL
Old Mar 9th 2008, 1:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I guess what I'm really trying to say is, that I'm shocked here when I point out selfish behaviour, and I get abuse back. Like it is their right to to what the hell they want.

They won't admit it is selfish, though it quite blantantly is. I never got that in Europe. I'd get an apology, usually accompanied by a "so sorry about that".

JTL
Old Mar 9th 2008, 1:59 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

A couple of bad neighbours does not a nation of selfish people make;

I could quote numerous examples from UK too.

When I was younger I was one of those loud music playing people - yes I would've turned it down had I been asked, but at the same time, you can't really dictate what people do in their own homes (okay well you can call noise patrol but you won't get many fans).

Maybe the guy next door only gets home at 7 and thats the only chance he gets. I wouldn't get upset unless between the hours of 9pm - 8am - darkness really shouldn't make a difference - loads in the UK mow their lawn after the heat of the day has gone in summer (when we have summer) and considering that it doesn't get dark until 10pm some nights then surely by the same philosophy you wouldn't complain as it's light?

I know it sucks for your kids, but 8pm is not an unreasonable time of night to make noise in my opinion. Yes I too would be annoyed but I wouldn't say anything, unless it became a really really common habit.

Not trying to say you are wrong, but I am sorry to say that I wouldn't consider any of the times of noise unreasonable. Yes loud noise when it's not made by you is annoying, but we have to be neighbourly sometimes and not complain.

Having said all that, it was probably a bit unfair or your neighbours to react that way but I would probably be a bit put out if I was singing at the top of my lungs on an early evening and was asked to keep it down (as I do sing badly when the house is empty!) although if I was mowing the lawn it would probably be a good excuse not to do it!!
Old Mar 9th 2008, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wheeler-Jones
A couple of bad neighbours does not a nation of selfish people make;

I could quote numerous examples from UK too.

When I was younger I was one of those loud music playing people - yes I would've turned it down had I been asked, but at the same time, you can't really dictate what people do in their own homes (okay well you can call noise patrol but you won't get many fans).

Maybe the guy next door only gets home at 7 and thats the only chance he gets. I wouldn't get upset unless between the hours of 9pm - 8am - darkness really shouldn't make a difference - loads in the UK mow their lawn after the heat of the day has gone in summer (when we have summer) and considering that it doesn't get dark until 10pm some nights then surely by the same philosophy you wouldn't complain as it's light?

I know it sucks for your kids, but 8pm is not an unreasonable time of night to make noise in my opinion. Yes I too would be annoyed but I wouldn't say anything, unless it became a really really common habit.

Not trying to say you are wrong, but I am sorry to say that I wouldn't consider any of the times of noise unreasonable. Yes loud noise when it's not made by you is annoying, but we have to be neighbourly sometimes and not complain.

Having said all that, it was probably a bit unfair or your neighbours to react that way but I would probably be a bit put out if I was singing at the top of my lungs on an early evening and was asked to keep it down (as I do sing badly when the house is empty!) although if I was mowing the lawn it would probably be a good excuse not to do it!!
I have to say I don't think it is unreasonable to make noise at 7pm, or 8pm even if it is dark.

Unless you live in the middle of nowhere you have to expect, and allow, your neighbours to live their lives which does entail making some noise at these times.

Wild parties in the early hours of the morning, yes go and complain, but starting a motorbike at 8pm- seriously?
Old Mar 9th 2008, 2:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

As I've said, I have tons of examples, its not just my current neighbours.

People not giving up seats on trains to pregnant women? Think that is bad?

How about a woman who could not be bothered to move her foot so that a heavily pregnant woman (Mrs JTL) could push her pram (with our 10 month old baby in it) past her on a train. I had to physically lift the pram over her foot while she shouted abuse about how much trouble is was to move her FOOT. And no one helped! And she shouted abuse at us as we moved down the carriage. For what Asking her to move her foot so the pram could fit through.

Tell ya' they're loads more selfish self-centred bastards in Australia than in the UK.

JTL
Old Mar 9th 2008, 2:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by hereshoping
I have to say I don't think it is unreasonable to make noise at 7pm, or 8pm even if it is dark.

Unless you live in the middle of nowhere you have to expect, and allow, your neighbours to live their lives which does entail making some noise at these times.

Wild parties in the early hours of the morning, yes go and complain, but starting a motorbike at 8pm- seriously?

I see you're from Essex
Old Mar 9th 2008, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I see you're from Essex
well I live in essex at the moment, in no way am I from Essex...

What are you trying to say? Does the fact I live in Essex in some way negate the point I was making about tolerance of your neighbours living their lives?
Old Mar 9th 2008, 2:29 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

How about a woman who could not be bothered to move her foot so that a heavily pregnant woman (Mrs JTL) could push her pram (with our 10 month old baby in it) past her on a train. I had to physically lift the pram over her foot while she shouted abuse about how much trouble is was to move her FOOT. And no one helped! And she shouted abuse at us as we moved down the carriage. For what Asking her to move her foot so the pram could fit through.

Tell ya' they're loads more selfish self-centred bastards in Australia than in the UK.

JTL
Did you maybe live in a smaller village in the UK and now live in the city? That may have alot to do with it.

I live in London and I come across selfish actions ALL the time - such as the pregmant woman on trains etc - people on the tube here down look up so that they can avoid being the one to offer their seat. People racing ahead in the intersections to block me even though they can't go anywhere, where if they just waited there would be less of a jam!!

Builders working from 6am changing the windows to double glazing.

Scooters revving outside my window at 7am.

Same shite different country. I personally think 6-7 am is MUCH worse than 7-8pm (but I don't have kids )
Old Mar 9th 2008, 2:34 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Don't ever move to Singapore.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

Nah can't say i agree with you right now - having put up with years of abuse simply because I lived next door to a primary school and some folk saw fit to either park over my drive, on my drive, and block me in from going to collect my own kids on time from school and then verbally abuse me for asking them to move their vehicles from my property - nah. I've been called a cheap whore, slag,slut, whinging bitch etc just for asking poeple to let me out of my own drive

And please not lets get started on the problem,s from the 'family' pub opposite my house in a quiet english village when my 2 year old, let alone the rest of the house get woken at midnight on a sunday evening by selfish individuals who think its great to leave the pub and wake the whole neighbourhood. When i approached the manager about this after at least a year of this - to be told all sorts of unpleasant niceties about my own person.

Nah Oz is bliss thanks !
Old Mar 9th 2008, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of light

Right. Controversial I know, but my biggest gripe about Australians is that they couldn't give a damn about what other people want, need or think.

I have tons of examples, but here is my current one.

We have two young kids, one is almost 1, the other is 2 and a bit. We got them to bed by 7pm one night, and the next door neighbor decided to cut his grass right outside the 2 year olds window in the dark at 7pm. It woke her up.

So Mrs JTL went upstairs to deal with Beth, I went out to deal with the neighbor. He was not a happy chappy to be told he couldn't cut his grass in the dark outside my daughters window at 7:15pm.

1 month later. 8pm, both kids asleep, all good. Horrendous noise of a muscle car starts up, both kids wake, Mrs JTL runs upstairs to deal with them, I go out to see what the hell that noise is. Its the same flipping neighbor. With his grown up kid, and his friends, and we have an argument, and they cant see the problem of revving a motorbike, really really loud motorbike, right outside out childrens bedrooms.

Depressing thing is, he is our neighbourhood watch representative

But the thing is, thats just a sample of how uncaring Australians are in life. I'm constantly shocked by how self centred many of them are.

(I know thats a massive generalisation, and I'm sure some aussies would be a bit embarrassed to know that revving their f*ing motorbike woke up two kids):curse:

JTL

</IMG>
As I said I've tons of examples

A house over the back have a huge shed that their teenage kids use for band pracrice. When I say its loud I mean it's LOUD

We had friends over one weekend, and this band practice nonsense started up,so loud we couldn't hear each other speak. So with a bit of research, I found out the house number and phone number, and called them up and asked them to stop because we had guests.

Unbelievably I got abuse from the mother saying, would I rather they were out hooning and taking drugs . Uhhhhmmm are they the only options for your kids? Anyway, it didn't go well, they thought it was their right to terrorise the entire neighbourhood with the pathetic rendetions of 'summer of 69', while we were trying to have a quiet afternoon on the patio with our guests and our kids.

Come back Bryan Adams, all is forgiven

JTL

JTL
Hi JTL,

Certainly, the train incident was selfish, but can guarantee you that things like that have occurred on trains while I've been on them here in the UK.

I get the impression that you are a 'quiet' person anyway, taking away the fact you have young children. Musical things don't bother me and definitely not on a Saturday afternoon. In fact, ahem, I'd have probably have probably gone over and asked if I could join them. We live on a main road here and as long as there is nothing abusive going on, I really couldn't care less. However, I don't have children, so am not in your position.

The times you are saying though (ok, maybe not 6am with children) generally wouldn't bother me and if I had children I couldn't see a reason for going over, they aren't antisocial times (IMO).

I know a man who is very much into his peace and quiet in a huge way...he lives outside of the village (yes village) I used to live in and when we had a couple of events (that in no way would have affected him) he would go and stay somewhere very quiet. He winces when people speak loudly (try to be good about this). He just didn't want to know, but as a result lived somewhere that would be out of the way of others.

I am guilty of mowing in the past late at night but when you work full time, have to commute an hour + each way and rent in an area that has lots of rain (ok, prob not applicable where you are ) then you tend to grab the opportunity with both hands. (Well, me anyway )

I played a musical instrument and told my neighbour that if she ever wanted me to stop, just to let me know what times were bad for her. She was a B&%$£ with parking but actually was very good when I was playing at 7pm/8pm at night.

How have you found your neighbours/ get on with them aside from this?
Old Mar 9th 2008, 2:51 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

I see you're from Essex
Count yourself lucky ...in the UK I used to hear my neighbours shagging !! I would have much prefered the sound of a lawn mower I made sure that wouldnt happen again because now there is distance between us and the neighbours.

Noise is a common suburban complaint ... but really I dont think you should be so harsh on the neighbour for cutting his grass, it was still early and its not like its every evening is it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.