British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Aussie newsreaders 'World Record!' (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/aussie-newsreaders-world-record-421853/)

arkon Jan 26th 2007 6:07 pm

Aussie newsreaders 'World Record!'

Not sure anymore what forum to post things like this to, but I thought this lot would appreciate it the most.

Australia day and the early evening news. The news reporter was reporting on all the 'wacky' things that get done during the day and said 'nowhere in the world does the kind of wacky things we do here'. He then went on to tell of a 'massive' prey in involving 10,000 praying people and his comment was:- 'It just must be a world record!'. My first thoughts were I think the Cathlics in rome might just trump it, and if not I'm sure the millions that visit mecca every year might just surpass the Aussie world record.

As for nowhere else in the world doing such wacky things, all I can say it's probably true when the rest of the world only exists for a few hundred km's around the Australian coastline.

While I'm on a rant, there was an Australian day PR advert running on the history channel called 'icon towns' and it chundered on and on listing all the virtues of Australia and it's towns. It took me a while to get my breath back from all the shouting I did at the telly, Everything they saw as a virtue I saw as either, lame, lazy, boring or just plain wrong.

End of rant. Sorry to the rest of the world on here reading this, you don't exist so please don't get upset.

Pollyana Jan 26th 2007 6:36 pm

Re: Aussie newsreaders 'World Record!'

Originally Posted by arkon (Post 4331188)
Not sure anymore what forum to post things like this to, but I thought this lot would appreciate it the most.

However as its got nowt to do with MBTTUK, I've bumped you to the Barbie, sorry mate!

there was an Australian day PR advert running on the history channel called 'icon towns' and it chundered on and on listing all the virtues of Australia and it's towns. It took me a while to get my breath back from all the shouting I did at the telly, Everything they saw as a virtue I saw as either, lame, lazy, boring or just plain wrong.

I can't watch that ad, it has wound me up so much!

iPom Jan 26th 2007 7:22 pm

What's this thread about then?

:confused: :unsure: :blink:

arkon Jan 26th 2007 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 4331221)
I can't watch that ad, it has wound me up so much!

I know what you mean, Take the bit where he walks into a typical pub for instance. He says things like great atmosphere full of charm etc. He walked into a pub that had one person in it besides himself and that was the barman! The whole advert is like that. Might have a look see if it's on the web.

arkon Jan 26th 2007 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by iPom (Post 4331270)
What's this thread about then?

:confused: :unsure: :blink:

Good question. I was just back in from 4 hours on the tractor in 38 degree heat and I think I was a bit frazzled. Basically I was highlighting the fact that even the news readers on telly had an incredibly insular view and outlook. I mean you just must be incredibly thick if you think that 10,000 people praying together is a world record or even close to it. You could only think it a possibility if your world view, didn't include the rest of the world.

iPom Jan 26th 2007 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by arkon (Post 4331281)
Good question. I was just back in from 4 hours on the tractor in 38 degree heat and I think I was a bit frazzled. Basically I was highlighting the fact that even the news readers on telly had an incredibly insular view and outlook. I mean you just must be incredibly thick if you think that 10,000 people praying together is a world record or even close to it. You could only think it a possibility if your world view, didn't include the rest of the world.

I guess so. I don't really watch the news or the rest of the TV here, which I guess is insular in itself. I get my news via the internet.

I guess newsreaders get paid to reflect a certain view... that of their network or owner - Murdoch? I don't know what channel you watch.

Wherever you are it's hard to get a proper report of the news without any slant whatsoever... but yes, there's something going in in some minds in the media which makes you wonder ... :-/ But then that's a contradiction in terms, 'something going on in minds in the media' isn't it?

I realise I've said 'I guess' several times, so I'll just go and stop being so wishy washy. I guess I'll try a few G+T's and that'll sort me out into a firebrand again and I'll come back and argue more effectively. ;)

Stop watching tv Arkon, chuck, it's dulling your neurons. ;)

arkon Jan 26th 2007 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by iPom (Post 4331296)
I guess so. I don't really watch the news or the rest of the TV here, which I guess is insular in itself. I get my news via the internet.

I guess newsreaders get paid to reflect a certain view... that of their network or owner - Murdoch? I don't know what channel you watch.

Wherever you are it's hard to get a proper report of the news without any slant whatsoever... but yes, there's something going in in some minds in the media which makes you wonder ... :-/ But then that's a contradiction in terms, 'something going on in minds in the media' isn't it?

I realise I've said 'I guess' several times, so I'll just go and stop being so wishy washy. I guess I'll try a few G+T's and that'll sort me out into a firebrand again and I'll come back and argue more effectively. ;)

Stop watching tv Arkon, chuck, it's dulling your neurons. ;)

Unfortunately it isn't the TV dulling my neurons, more my enviroment.:ohmy:

moneypenny20 Jan 26th 2007 8:56 pm

I've not seen this ad, sorry Arkon but I've been out and about enjoying myself. Did you find a link for it?

BadgeIsBack Jan 26th 2007 9:05 pm

Or it might have been gushing, tabloid, TV which you should know by now to ignore.

Anyone with a brain doesn't watch this sort of TV. They selectively choose from the programming.

I watch a few programmes a week - just like in the UK.

thebears Jan 26th 2007 10:29 pm

Australia day and the early evening news. The news reporter was reporting on all the 'wacky' things that get done during the day and said 'nowhere in the world does the kind of wacky things we do here'. He then went on to tell of a 'massive' prey in involving 10,000 praying people and his comment was:- 'It just must be a world record!'. My first thoughts were I think the Cathlics in rome might just trump it, and if not I'm sure the millions that visit mecca every year might just surpass the Aussie world record.

As for nowhere else in the world doing such wacky things, all I can say it's probably true when the rest of the world only exists for a few hundred km's around the Australian coastline.

While I'm on a rant, there was an Australian day PR advert running on the history channel called 'icon towns' and it chundered on and on listing all the virtues of Australia and it's towns. It took me a while to get my breath back from all the shouting I did at the telly, Everything they saw as a virtue I saw as either, lame, lazy, boring or just plain wrong.

End of rant. Sorry to the rest of the world on here reading this, you don't exist so please don't get upset.

Just grin and smile Arkon;) only thing I have got to say is

CNN:sneaky:

arkon Jan 26th 2007 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 4331421)
I've not seen this ad, sorry Arkon but I've been out and about enjoying myself. Did you find a link for it?

No, only links to the iconic towns show guide.

arkon Jan 26th 2007 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by thebears (Post 4331589)
Just grin and smile Arkon;) only thing I have got to say is

CNN:sneaky:

I quite like CNN, only because I used to spend a lot of time abroad in my previous life and many a time the only english speaking channel in my room would be CNN.

What I would say about the TV presenters here is it is all more like a sixth form class doing the shows. All very excitable and naive.

St.Georges Girl Jan 26th 2007 11:03 pm

You've just broken my very fragile heart Arkon. Shame on you.http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/8...myheartzd7.gif

Womat Jan 26th 2007 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by arkon (Post 4331281)

Hi, I am an Australian who just recently stumbled across this forum and I've been wandering around the site reading quite a few of the threads. It's been interesting and enlightening reading the members' experiences and opinions.

I don't believe I would be in the minority of Australians who think remarks along the lines of the news reader are just plain insulting to the viewing audience, but we aren't the only country in the world that employs idiot writers for mouthpieces on the TV. I've heard similar remarks made by media of other countries but I don't believe their citizens swallow it hook, line and sinker just as we don't.

As for Scott McGregor on Icon Towns I can't grab the remote control fast enough, he'd be an acquired taste for a few.

I realise this forum is for British expats so I'll duck away quietly if my input is not wanted.

arkon Jan 26th 2007 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by Womat (Post 4331742)
Hi, I am an Australian who just recently stumbled across this forum and I've been wandering around the site reading quite a few of the threads. It's been interesting and enlightening reading the members' experiences and opinions.

I don't believe I would be in the minority of Australians who think remarks along the lines of the news reader are just plain insulting to the viewing audience, but we aren't the only country in the world that employs idiot writers for mouthpieces on the TV. I've heard similar remarks made by media of other countries but I don't believe their citizens swallow it hook, line and sinker just as we don't.

As for Scott McGregor on Icon Towns I can't grab the remote control fast enough, he'd be an acquired taste for a few.

I realise this forum is for British expats so I'll duck away quietly if my input is not wanted.

It's not the writers that are the problem, it's when the readers ad-lib and make up some jovial banter that gives it all away for me. I don't doubt other countries have the same problem, my example was of this country. This was only the latest most recent comment I've heard and thought, Jeez they are just so thick.

There was also the comment that only in Australia do you get all these wacky things going on. WTF, I think the UK does more than it's fair share of wacky events, most too bizzare to make it onto the news though.