Reload this Page >

Aussie expressions which really get on my goat ... ADULTS ONLY

Aussie expressions which really get on my goat ... ADULTS ONLY

Old Apr 28th 2007, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

teenagepomme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Aussie expressions which really get on my goat ... ADULTS ONLY

It's so annoying!
and how they say 'aye' after everything!talk properly!

Originally Posted by bridie
The only one that bothers me a bit is when they add "but" to the end of the sentence, not in the middle of it, or just adding it on the end for the sake of it.

So instead of:

"The sun is out but isnt it warm in here?"

it's

"The sun is out and it's warm in here but"

or just

"It's warm in here but"

Old Apr 28th 2007, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting how 'you' is turned into a plural word

'How are yous today?'

'Where've yous been?'

I also find the 'Yeah, no' or 'no, yeah' fascinating - seems to begin all responses no matter what the context.

Old Apr 28th 2007, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Fenton has a spectacular aura aboutFenton has a spectacular aura aboutFenton has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by kitty4
Interesting how 'you' is turned into a plural word

'How are yous today?'

'Where've yous been?'

Have to say turning you into a plural is very N.Irish/Irish
Old Apr 28th 2007, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

dottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Fenton
Have to say turning you into a plural is very N.Irish/Irish
It happens in England too.
Old Apr 28th 2007, 9:59 pm
fin
heading home

fin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nice

Originally Posted by teenagepomme
It's so annoying!
I don't think it's a case of talking properly, everywhere has their little sayings etc.

If I say something Aussie-ish I don't think it's fair to tell me to talk properly as to me, it is properly
Old Apr 28th 2007, 11:07 pm
Caroline

Caroline B is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
"Look,...."
Before everything!!! I thought people were being really rude to me when I first heard this. What's worse is that no only have I become used to it but am often tempted to use it..

One expression I really like (not sure it's Australian) is the use of 'budgie smugglers' for men's swimming pants.
Old Apr 29th 2007, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kristyhans
I don't think it's a case of talking properly, everywhere has their little sayings etc.

If I say something Aussie-ish I don't think it's fair to tell me to talk properly as to me, it is properly
LOL~...too right...our country..our language~~!!!
Old Apr 29th 2007, 12:53 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by shears
Or maybe they're leaving the word "face" off the end of their sentences - just to be polite ...
hahahahahahahaha! very good.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Vegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by teenagepomme
It's so annoying!
TP,

Sorry, next time we'll talk properly, yeah?

Old Apr 30th 2007, 9:55 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
What I find quite worrying is that I have only been to OZ once, over a year ago, and due to all the research I do on the country and a general fascination with anything Australian prior to our move in September...............I am already coming out with Aussie phrases at work etc.....VERY WORRYING!

'No Worries' is all too common these days, as is, 'you'll be right'! God knows what I'll be like after 6 months in the country!
I'd find that more than worrying too if I were you!
Old Apr 30th 2007, 11:02 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

My husband is very set in his ways and I always have to laugh when I hear him say ever so properly "How are you going today?" I tried to tell him it's "Howyagown" all one word with no question mark.
When I first heard this expression used I answered that probably I would be going by bus since I didn't have a car yet. The woman who said it to me in the first place must have thought I was an escaped lunatic.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 1:15 pm
Oxford - SEQ August 07

Urno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really nice

Originally Posted by alicecat
Another one which is an Americanism but everyone is starting to say is 'my bad' I hate it because it is said in such a way as 'well my mistake but I don't care, let's move on.' I much prefer 'oh I'm sorry, my mistake'
AAAARRRRGGHHHH!!

I was smugly trawling through this thread, thinking how over-sensitive everyone is, when you go and mention "my bad"!!

I chuffin' hate that. I think it irks me from a grammatical perspective ("My bad what? Mistake? Cat? Attitude? Education?").

Whatever it is, it just sounds WRONG WRONG WRONG
Old Apr 30th 2007, 1:52 pm
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

I know some people find it annoying that Aussies love to shorten their words, and preferably add an 'o' to the end of them. I find it quite endearing though!

Examples I've heard from my OH....

Servo (service station)
Ambo (Ambulances)
Salvos (Salvation Army)
Bottle-o (bottle shops)
Freo (Freemantle)
Wello (Wellington Point)
Then there is the ridiculous Unco (uncoordinated) which I could hardly believe when he said it!

And he's a Damo (Damian).
Old Apr 30th 2007, 2:04 pm
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and Arvo (afternoon)
Old Apr 30th 2007, 9:07 pm
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scubaemma
Oh, and Arvo (afternoon)

Sarvo from thiS ARVO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.