Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Aussie/Brit Dictionary?

Wikiposts

Aussie/Brit Dictionary?

Old May 2nd 2007, 11:37 pm

oddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really nice
Default Aussie/Brit Dictionary?

Don't know if this is the right thread for this post but I wanted to know if there was an Aussie/Brit dictionary out there?

Also would like to know what peoples experience is with the language (not swearing), for Aussies and expats alike. Do you think the saying "Divided by a common language" is true, although I think it was originally intended for USA/UK speak?

For instance we lived in Florida for three years and our friends could never get over the fact that we used words like "Pop to the loo" or "Hoover the carpet". Having said that we came back to the UK and still use Trash instead of rubbish!

Just wondered if anyone has started to "pick up" aussie or british expressions and words. Do you think you do it to "fit in" or just so people understand?

Love to hear anyone's take on this

Sarah
Old May 2nd 2007, 11:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie/Brit Dictionary?

Originally Posted by saraho
Don't know if this is the right thread for this post but I wanted to know if there was an Aussie/Brit dictionary out there?

Also would like to know what peoples experience is with the language (not swearing), for Aussies and expats alike. Do you think the saying "Divided by a common language" is true, although I think it was originally intended for USA/UK speak?

For instance we lived in Florida for three years and our friends could never get over the fact that we used words like "Pop to the loo" or "Hoover the carpet". Having said that we came back to the UK and still use Trash instead of rubbish!

Just wondered if anyone has started to "pick up" aussie or british expressions and words. Do you think you do it to "fit in" or just so people understand?

Love to hear anyone's take on this

Sarah
Hi Sarah,

I got bought a book from my work called Australian - English / English to Australian. You can buy it online, it only costs £1.99 http://absonbooks.co.uk/titles.shtml

I've just picked words up, mainly from the kids who come home with new words nearly every day. I say 'no worries' and 'good thanks' a lot
Old May 2nd 2007, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of

Here's some basics http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html
I've only been here 3 months and like wendy have noticed I have started saying 'no worries' and 'good thanks'.

Leigh
Old May 3rd 2007, 12:05 am

oddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really nice

Originally Posted by leigh&ivan
Here's some basics http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html
I've only been here 3 months and like wendy have noticed I have started saying 'no worries' and 'good thanks'.

Leigh
I have also started saying "No Worries" and i'm not even in Oz ...Yet! Must be this forum