Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Aussie adverts ... aaaaggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Wikiposts

Aussie adverts ... aaaaggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie adverts ... aaaaggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Au contraire Rodney, even the good ones are good ...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=eH3GH7Pn_eA
Nah, rubbish! (The ad was crap too)
Old Jan 25th 2011, 1:45 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by unfair dinkum
My advice?
Give up on tv altogether. You'll save yourself a whole lot of grief that way. No adds, no Aussie Aussie Aussie, no news brought to you by a crew of cheesy faced tit-heads too 'unco' to be tradies or work at the checkout in coles, no moronic biased sports 'commentary'.
In fact, you could pretend you're living in an entirely different country.
Try it, it works
Yes I have been doing this for some time now.

I downloaded Expat Shield and just watch UK TV on the laptop.

In my old TV days I used to mute out the screaming ads as they do my head in!!!

For those who have not been here too many years I have to say the ads are much better than they used to be, can you imagine what it was like way back when?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rD8_nVgxGo

Last edited by Beedubya; Jan 25th 2011 at 1:57 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Here's another bonza ad.
It should be compulsory viewing for all on Australia Day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA1h9h7-_Z4
Old Jan 25th 2011, 3:07 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

The most quality ad I've ever seen has to be for stud cattle somewhere in the Northern Territory. A powerpoint unmoving slide filled the screen with a clip art of a bull with a man's voice over advertising its 'rooting' services. Tempted as I was, when I checked the map it turns out it was a good 1500 miles away somewhere near Alice Springs. A little like advertising a goat in Kazakhstan to an audience in Potters Bar.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 3:09 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merseygirl
Here's another bonza ad.

You beaut Merseygirl I remember than one well, even found I knew all the words LOL.

Here's another little ripper!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZdT1g5WAk4
Old Jan 25th 2011, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Aussie ads work (somehow!) because you remember them and hey, we are discussing them here!

How many times did you ever sing the jingle when going past a store in the UK? And I know I'm not the only one...!!

I wonder if it's because there are less ads, less stores but they are repeated so many times they infiltrate the brain?

I've enjoyed watching the Gruen Transfer recently seeing the goings on behind the ads. One I really liked when we first got here was the one for Tooheys Dry when the 50's guy with the quiff had all the pods growing, that was weird but good.

The really annoying ones are the advertorials on the morning show....Glen and his flipping abductor, steam mop, doing the Zumba et al!
Old Jan 25th 2011, 5:41 pm
your fair weather friend!

unfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Merseygirl
Here's another bonza ad.

I don't mind those old vb ads. They do sum up the ideal Australian male very well: working class, hard yakka; even the fella ponced up at the wedding looked desperate to change into stubbies and thongs
Old Jan 25th 2011, 5:59 pm
your fair weather friend!

unfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to behold

This one sums up Australia beautifully:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox2TF...e_gdata_player
Old Jan 25th 2011, 6:06 pm
Home Sweet Home

This one sums up Australia beautifully:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox2TF...e_gdata_player
though they should have had a stubbie in the other hand......
Old Jan 25th 2011, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mind those old vb ads. They do sum up the ideal Australian male very well: working class, hard yakka; even the fella ponced up at the wedding looked desperate to change into stubbies and thongs
I saw the VB ad back in 1995 when I first came to Australia and I couldn't believe what I was watching, I thought is was so naff it made me cringe

It still makes me cringe but I also find it funny now cos it's so Australian and like you say it pretty much sums up the Aussie male. And yes the guy at the wedding looks pretty desperate to be in his stubbie and thongs
Old Jan 26th 2011, 8:00 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

I don't even turn the TV on.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 8:41 am
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Yes I have been doing this for some time now.

I downloaded Expat Shield and just watch UK TV on the laptop.

In my old TV days I used to mute out the screaming ads as they do my head in!!!

For those who have not been here too many years I have to say the ads are much better than they used to be, can you imagine what it was like way back when?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rD8_nVgxGo
"'For those who have not been here too many years I have to say the ads are much better than they used to be, can you imagine what it was like way back when?'"

I was just thinking the same thing! Reading the responses made me think how far Aus advertising has come in the last decade! When we arrived in Perth 11 years ago the tv ads consisted of some guy who owned a shed/pipe/pet food business, dressed in dungarees, shouting

BUY MY SHEDS/PIPES/PET FOOD!!

It's obviously come on in leaps and bounds since then
Old Jan 26th 2011, 11:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lucy Loose Nut
I'm sorry but I am losing the will to live. The adverts on TV over here are driving me insane especially the ads for DIY, computer stores, roofing etc because they just shout as loud as they can at you but the worst BY FAR!!!!!!! are the Harvey Norman ones!!! They literally scream at you every minute of every day and the volume seems a thousand decibels higher than even a dog could take . I'm surprised the whole of Australia haven't switched off in protest. I've honestly never seen anything like it before. Is there somewhere you can write to and complain? What do other people think?

Other than that I love Oz, am glad I'm here and the people are lovely

Wow sight and sound with the aussie doing a american accent

Small business and tradies who use their (butt ugly) annoying kids to advertise Dads goods.

RE agents with no picture of the house just a picture of them in a) yellow jacket, B) cowboy hat C) glamour shot.

Local motel owner, who has life size glamour shot of self on roof of motel, she looks like some old tart off corrie street, I thought it was a brothel but nope its a family motel.

Oh yeah and why do pay stations, foxtel and austar have ad breaks nearly as long as commercial TV, isnt that why you pay, no ads.

Last edited by jad n rich; Jan 26th 2011 at 11:50 am.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 12:25 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Oh yeah and why do pay stations, foxtel and austar have ad breaks nearly as long as commercial TV, isnt that why you pay, no ads.
Its a f&^king fantastic business model though isnt it? Charge people money for advertising space to pay for all the old repeated content you shovel out briefly inbetween aderts and also charge the sucker customers $100 a month to watch them.

I swear we live in a country full of monkeys or Foxel would surely be a dead business by now? Instead it seems to thrive for reasons that are completely beyond my comprehension.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 12:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain

I swear we live in a country full of monkeys or Foxel would surely be a dead business by now? Instead it seems to thrive for reasons that are completely beyond my comprehension.

I blame the plasma TV bonus. Every sucker in the country bought at least 3 52 inch screens with tax money, then they realised there was nothing actually worth watching, so they signed up for a 3 year plan with au$tar etc.

Still nowt worth watching IMO, but every house seems dominated by several giant TV's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.