Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Aus to UK shoe on the other foot

Aus to UK shoe on the other foot

Old Mar 4th 2017, 6:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Aus to UK shoe on the other foot

My eldest child has just turned 18 and decided to go off travelling for a couple of months. We had an hilarious video chat last night after her first few days in the UK since she was 8. These are the observations of an 18 year old who has only lived in Queensland, WA and The UAE.

Apparently the UK is so cold and wet that it's unnatural. People don't bat an eye that it's only 10 degrees and she's struggling to survive.

The postman has to come to every front door and put letters in a slot and then they drop to the floor. What a waste of time and effort for all involved - much easier to ride your motorbike past a house and throw something in the letterbox without even stopping. Though it does make it feel like a Harry Potter movie.

Houses aren't real houses, they're one house cut into small pieces to make a number of houses. Backyards are tiny but despite the tiny house and garden - they are very pretty.

Everyone knows everyone's business. They know who has driven down their street and whether they're strangers entering their neighbourhood. The neigbours even phone to see whether their dog walker walked past with the dog to check they've done their job.

Everyone just goes to the pub which is really boring and there's nothing else to do.

The Uber driver thinks he's in an episode of Neigbours with you in his cab. Everyone asks what's happening in Neighbours and are mortified when you tell them you've never watched it.

And lastly, you've gotta work out the conversion rate before you tip the Uber driver 9 pounds (she'd just spent some time in Dubai where durhams are worth bugger all).

She was off to visit a Great Aunt in Chelmsley Wood, Birmingham for the day so I bet there will be some great stories tonight.😃
Old Mar 4th 2017, 7:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aus to UK shoe on the other foot

Originally Posted by Kim67
My eldest child has just turned 18 and decided to go off travelling for a couple of months. We had an hilarious video chat last night after her first few days in the UK since she was 8. These are the observations of an 18 year old who has only lived in Queensland, WA and The UAE.

Apparently the UK is so cold and wet that it's unnatural. People don't bat an eye that it's only 10 degrees and she's struggling to survive.

The postman has to come to every front door and put letters in a slot and then they drop to the floor. What a waste of time and effort for all involved - much easier to ride your motorbike past a house and throw something in the letterbox without even stopping. Though it does make it feel like a Harry Potter movie.

Houses aren't real houses, they're one house cut into small pieces to make a number of houses. Backyards are tiny but despite the tiny house and garden - they are very pretty.

Everyone knows everyone's business. They know who has driven down their street and whether they're strangers entering their neighbourhood. The neigbours even phone to see whether their dog walker walked past with the dog to check they've done their job.

Everyone just goes to the pub which is really boring and there's nothing else to do.

The Uber driver thinks he's in an episode of Neigbours with you in his cab. Everyone asks what's happening in Neighbours and are mortified when you tell them you've never watched it.

And lastly, you've gotta work out the conversion rate before you tip the Uber driver 9 pounds (she'd just spent some time in Dubai where durhams are worth bugger all).

She was off to visit a Great Aunt in Chelmsley Wood, Birmingham for the day so I bet there will be some great stories tonight.😃
How about the washing machine in the kitchen.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
How about the washing machine in the kitchen.
Haha I did ask her about that but she doesn't know what one looks like.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 7:38 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

What a great read Kim, very entertaining! I especially laughed at tipping the Uber driver £9, best tip that driver ever had

I can vouch for cab drivers thinking they're in an episode of an Oz soap, except in Liverpool it's Home and Away they all talk about. And we all live right on the beach. Apparantly

I loved that the postie drops your mail through the slot. Then we replaced the front door with a leadlight one made of hard wood - scouse didn't want to spoil the look of it so put a old fashioned style letterbox in the inside of one of the front wall pillars. I'll never forget answering the door to the poor postie the next day - he was standing there with a handful of letters looking puzzled and bereft.

Looking forward to hearing your daughter's take on her visit to her Great Aunt!
Old Mar 4th 2017, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
What a great read Kim, very entertaining! I especially laughed at tipping the Uber driver £9, best tip that driver ever had

I can vouch for cab drivers thinking they're in an episode of an Oz soap, except in Liverpool it's Home and Away they all talk about. And we all live right on the beach. Apparantly

I loved that the postie drops your mail through the slot. Then we replaced the front door with a leadlight one made of hard wood - scouse didn't want to spoil the look of it so put a old fashioned style letterbox in the inside of one of the front wall pillars. I'll never forget answering the door to the poor postie the next day - he was standing there with a handful of letters looking puzzled and bereft.

Yep he said he'd not only carry her luggage, he'd carry her to the door too.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 7:54 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse

Having just had to fork out $180 for a post office box I would LOVE to have a slot in my door to get the mail posted through!!
Mailboxes at our unit are small and insecure and the landlord will not change them for something better, as a result a lot of the mail that comes here gets stolen before it can be claimed by the residents. Only way round it a P O Box at a crazy price.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Having just had to fork out $180 for a post office box I would LOVE to have a slot in my door to get the mail posted through!!
Mailboxes at our unit are small and insecure and the landlord will not change them for something better, as a result a lot of the mail that comes here gets stolen before it can be claimed by the residents. Only way round it a P O Box at a crazy price.
That's no good. Can you not put a lock on it?
Old Mar 4th 2017, 7:57 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

What a pain in the arse
Old Mar 4th 2017, 8:15 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

That's no good. Can you not put a lock on it?
Theres no way of doing it, the stupid boxes are small and metal and the only way to get the ail in or out of them is to lift the top of each one. So if it locked, the postman can't get the mail in. And anything A5 size or larger doesn't fit, so just gets left in the flowerbed - with predictable results when it rains

When I first moved here there was a lovely old Austrian guy here, used to tellme tells of castle he had back home (yeah right ) - he used to collect everyone's mail from the boxes and store it for them after he caught local kids pinching stuff. Unfortunately he is now in a castle in the sky and the mail is vanishing again!
Old Mar 5th 2017, 4:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I recall UK letter boxes also shred A3 size items nor take parcels...you can barely get the Sunday Times in! The best thing you can hope for is a house with enough privacy :they leave it on the door step, or its collect like in many countries..units or flats are always an issue for mail.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 5:52 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

keep it coming.
I've subscribed as so refreshing to see something through fresh eyes.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 11:00 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I recall UK letter boxes also shred A3 size items nor take parcels...you can barely get the Sunday Times in! The best thing you can hope for is a house with enough privacy :they leave it on the door step, or its collect like in many countries..units or flats are always an issue for mail.
Our postie knocks on the door and hand delivers anything that won't fit through the letter slot.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 7:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BEVS

keep it coming.
I've subscribed as so refreshing to see something through fresh eyes.
I will hit you up with the next instalment when we manage to coordinate time zones again.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 7:41 pm
Home and Happy

I will hit you up with the next instalment when we manage to coordinate time zones again.
Hope she is enjoying most of it at least! Must be weird for you, being without her
Old Mar 5th 2017, 8:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hope she is enjoying most of it at least! Must be weird for you, being without her
She is having fun I think. She was a bit home sick for the first week. Dubai wasn't the childhood playground she remembered and she was missing her boyfriend and the other two kids, but since she's got to England and staying worth family she's much better. She arrives home on my 50th so that'll be a happy ending to a miserable day hehe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.