Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Aus Post.... Here come the changes !!

Aus Post.... Here come the changes !!

Old Jun 9th 2014, 12:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Aus Post.... Here come the changes !!

Having a vested interest in this, it's going to be interesting what happens over the next few years.

900 jobs in the "bullsheet castles" as we collequially call them, to go first.

The cynic in me says maybe it's because most of those employees are on contract and they dont have to get a redundancy package under current legislation.

The 2-3 day delivery part is interesting. I couldn't work out how they would do that at first, but it seems they will throw off the rounds as per usual and only deliver 2 of the 4 stems they each throw off per day.

I'd say we night sorters have shift changes coming up within the next 12 to 18 months..... Might lose our 1 of our 5 weeks holidays and have our 30 pct penalty rates cut in half... not sure though, There would likely be industrial action if they try that on. Apparently we'll be about the last people touched... you never know though eh ?.. So for the first time in 20 years my working life is going to be different in the foreseeable future.

Interesting times. I really want to stay at least another 3 years, 5 - 6 would be brilliant, having said that though. Wheres me package

Obviously things do have to change with the times. It's amusing that they can't privatise AP because of the national party and country voters..... Well not for quite a while.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jun 9th 2014 at 12:39 am.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 6:54 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aus Post.... Here come the changes !!

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Having a vested interest in this, it's going to be interesting what happens over the next few years.

900 jobs in the "bullsheet castles" as we collequially call them, to go first.

The cynic in me says maybe it's because most of those employees are on contract and they dont have to get a redundancy package under current legislation.

The 2-3 day delivery part is interesting. I couldn't work out how they would do that at first, but it seems they will throw off the rounds as per usual and only deliver 2 of the 4 stems they each throw off per day.

I'd say we night sorters have shift changes coming up within the next 12 to 18 months..... Might lose our 1 of our 5 weeks holidays and have our 30 pct penalty rates cut in half... not sure though, There would likely be industrial action if they try that on. Apparently we'll be about the last people touched... you never know though eh ?.. So for the first time in 20 years my working life is going to be different in the foreseeable future.

Interesting times. I really want to stay at least another 3 years, 5 - 6 would be brilliant, having said that though. Wheres me package

Obviously things do have to change with the times. It's amusing that they can't privatise AP because of the national party and country voters..... Well not for quite a while.

Would you take voluntary if it were offered?

S
Old Jun 10th 2014, 7:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Would you take voluntary if it were offered?

S
Not yet... I'm sure they will be offered all the way through to the end, which I reckon is about 5-8 years away... but who knows for sure. It's just management positions thus far AFAIK.

If they muck around with the shifts and hours too much I could be tempted.

Not sure where I would get work afterwards though as a 59 year old... I'd have to try personal contacts within the CFMEU or other people I know within the tramways or railways or even via the health system. I seriously doubt I'd get one from a ordinary advertised position.

I need to work until the youngest is financially and emotionally independant I reckon... He is 16 now. 3 bloody Myki fines he's accrued this year, which at the end of the day is partly parental responsibility. Things like that happen slightly more often than they should in our household. That resulted in us not letting him go on a overseas trip with the school... He is still going on a local one though. So Kids are dictating our working needs at present really.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 7:31 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I have no problem with Auspost cutting their service by 40% (2 days) as long as they cut the workforce by 40% to match (nothing personal btw)

So 13000 out of 32000 employees

That'll wipe out their losses
Old Jun 10th 2014, 7:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

They aren't losing money though.... They are not adding the small parcels that the posties deliver to the equation, (which is about 30 pct of their workload) for some unknown reason.

As a whole Aus post makes a profit, and they are deliberately making to mail or letter side of things look bad, by not adding the figures/finance from the quota of parcels that the posties deliver. They are treating it (mail/Parcels) as two seperate divisions.

Something dodgy is happening.

I'd love to see how a parcel company would go, if they managed to get the parcel contract if they suddenly got all the small parcels. They would have to stop the van at every 2 or 3rd household. So assuming they wouldnt be able to handle that, Will Aus post suddenly make huge profits again, because of these small parcels..... once they sell of the supposedly profitable parcel division - minus the small parcels.

They're fixing the books I reckon.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jun 10th 2014 at 7:51 am.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

They aren't losing money though.... They are not adding the small parcels that the posties deliver to the equation, (which is about 30 pct of their workload) for some unknown reason.

As a whole Aus post makes a profit, and they are deliberately making to mail or letter side of things look bad, by not adding the figures/finance from the quota of parcels that the posties deliver. They are treating it as two seperate divisions.

Something dodgy is happening.

I'd love to see how a parcel company would go, if they managed to get the parcel contract if they suddenly got all the small parcels. They would have to stop the van at every 2 or 3rd household. So assuming they wouldnt be able to handle that, will Aus post suddenly make huge profits again, because of these small parcels..... once they sell of the supposedly profitable parcel division - minus the small parcels.

They're fixing the books I reckon.
To me it seems quite logical that postal services will diminish as the email replaces the letter. As to being profitable, well it is easy to be profitable when you can charge what you want without worrying about competition.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
To me it seems quite logical that postal services will diminish as the email replaces the letter. As to being profitable, well it is easy to be profitable when you can charge what you want without worrying about competition.

Letters would be about 25-35 pct of the mail that Posties deliver, the rest is things like Plastic mail, (Thats Magazines and journals) householders (thats junk mail) and small parcels, which are increasing at a quantam rate, faster than traditional mail is decreasing for sure. Their runs are far heavier weight wise at least, than they were 10 years ago.

So I'm not convinced in the Email argument.

I guess you can tell by looking exactly at what you get in your own mail box each day..... Although there are some real net shopping addicts out there that may skew what you get in your own personal mail.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jun 10th 2014 at 8:07 am.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

I think they lose a lot of business by not airmailling anything with a battery.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
I think they lose a lot of business by not airmailling anything with a battery.
Heh... you should hear the place at Xmas time, with all the musical xmas cards going off. So some/lots of battery operated goods are getting through.

We often find Vibrators in the mail, which causes a laugh when we set them off and put one in a newbies hands.... Through the packaging of course.

BTW just heard Joan Doyle on 3AW (who actually came from our center, so we've worked together) the Victorian Union president and spkesperson, saying they are going to in the first instance amalgamate Star Trak (which is aus post wholly owned) and Aus Post parcels and get rid of duplication that way, and the rest will come from head office in Bourke St.

We'll have shift penalty cuts to fight off I would imagine.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jun 10th 2014 at 8:20 am.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I would suspect internet shopping may cover the postcard and love letter loss.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Heh... you should hear the place at Xmas time, with all the musical xmas cards going off. So some/lots of battery operated goods are getting through.

We often find Vibrators in the mail, which causes a laugh when we set them off and put one in a newbies hands.... Through the packaging of course.

BTW just heard Joan Doyle on 3AW (who actually came from our center, so we've worked together) the Victorian Union president and spkesperson, saying they are going to in the first instance amalgamate Star Trak (which is aus post wholly owned) and Aus Post parcels and get rid of duplication that way, and the rest will come from head office in Bourke St.

We'll have shift penalty cuts to fight off I would imagine.

You 'find' vibrators in the mail.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
You 'find' vibrators in the mail.

Yehp fairly easy to tell the contents of certain packages.....especially when you handle 10, 000's
Old Jun 10th 2014, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yehp fairly easy to tell the contents of certain packages.....especially when you handle 10, 000's
There's a joke in there
Old Jun 10th 2014, 10:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I'm guessing in every sorting centre there is a smut merchant who can identify material from a hundred paces away...presumably though, Ozzie, this traffic has diminished to a trickle....
Old Jun 11th 2014, 2:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I'm guessing in every sorting centre there is a smut merchant who can identify material from a hundred paces away...presumably though, Ozzie, this traffic has diminished to a trickle....
The most suspicious parcels are those smelling strongly of perfume, deoderant, or other pleasant smell like coffee, reason being the contents shouldn't permeate and it's a potential covering agent.

Certain parcels are more closely scrutinsed than others, just because of the feel and origin Badge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.