Reload this Page >

Aus/NZ equivalent brands

Aus/NZ equivalent brands

Old Jun 7th 2019, 11:41 am
Just Joined

fozymoss is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Aus/NZ equivalent brands

Hi All
I'm updating a workbook at the moment where we refer to household brands in the UK and what they are known for. For example - Audi - luxury, sportiness, 4 rings, high performance

I've also got M&S and Cadbury in the list and I need to replace them with some Australian or NZ brands - they don't need to be the equivalent of M&S or Cadburys but do need to be something easily recognizable by all parts of society where most people would easily be able to describe the brand in a few words.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
cheers
Sue
Old Jun 7th 2019, 1:47 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aus/NZ equivalent brands

Originally Posted by fozymoss
Hi All
I'm updating a workbook at the moment where we refer to household brands in the UK and what they are known for. For example - Audi - luxury, sportiness, 4 rings, high performance

I've also got M&S and Cadbury in the list and I need to replace them with some Australian or NZ brands - they don't need to be the equivalent of M&S or Cadburys but do need to be something easily recognizable by all parts of society where most people would easily be able to describe the brand in a few words.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
cheers
Sue
Cadburys is a major chocolate company in Australia as they are back home, Any Aussie will recognise the name.

There is no equivalent of M & S, they are unique!
Old Jun 7th 2019, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Cadburys is a major chocolate company in Australia as they are back home, Any Aussie will recognise the name.

There is no equivalent of M & S, they are unique!
Thanks Pollyanna
Great that I can still use Cadburys! I don't necessarily need an equivalent of M&S just any other brand that the majority of people would recognise - in the UK I might also use for example Nike, Tesco, McDonalds, Hovis, Amazon, BBC,
cheers for your reply
Sue
Old Jun 7th 2019, 3:19 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Pollyanna
Great that I can still use Cadburys! I don't necessarily need an equivalent of M&S just any other brand that the majority of people would recognise - in the UK I might also use for example Nike, Tesco, McDonalds, Hovis, Amazon, BBC,
cheers for your reply
Sue
Most people here will be familiar with the BBC - Aus has the ABC, Nike are multi-national, Amazon Australia aren't worth sneezing at but many of us try to use other branches of Amazon where possible. Macdonalds are everywhere. Tesco & Hovis - bit trickier, might struggle with the non-Brits

Is this a kind of guide for new immigrants or just something for your own pre-migration research. Seems a bit confused with some mega-international brands, and other less well nown ones
Old Jun 7th 2019, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Pollyanna
The work I'm doing is updating a women's development workbook which accompanies a course (Springboard).

We already have an existing Australia/New Zealand version and I've introduced new material into the updated UK version which now needs to be "Australianised" for the new Australia/New Zealand version. So that's why I want to replace UK brands with Australian brands if the UK brands are not recognised there. I thought that the British Expats forum would be a good cross-over to ask the question.

The section on brands is just an illustrative introduction to brands before we move on to establishing and maintaining your own "personal brand".

Thanks for your help.
cheers
Sue
Old Jun 7th 2019, 7:33 pm
Home and Happy

Thanks Pollyanna
The work I'm doing is updating a women's development workbook which accompanies a course (Springboard).

We already have an existing Australia/New Zealand version and I've introduced new material into the updated UK version which now needs to be "Australianised" for the new Australia/New Zealand version. So that's why I want to replace UK brands with Australian brands if the UK brands are not recognised there. I thought that the British Expats forum would be a good cross-over to ask the question.

The section on brands is just an illustrative introduction to brands before we move on to establishing and maintaining your own "personal brand".

Thanks for your help.
cheers
Sue
Ahhh I'm getting the idea a bit better now! We get posters who just ask for the "equivalent shop" in Aus and things like that, but I see now this is a bit different. Could be a slow day in the office so I'll have a think for you.
In the meantime, have a browse through the websites for Coles and Woolworths supermarkets - they should give you an idea of food brands
Old Jun 7th 2019, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Ahhh I'm getting the idea a bit better now! We get posters who just ask for the "equivalent shop" in Aus and things like that, but I see now this is a bit different. Could be a slow day in the office so I'll have a think for you.
In the meantime, have a browse through the websites for Coles and Woolworths supermarkets - they should give you an idea of food brands
Thanks for your help - I guess it’s a bit of a different request!
cheers
sue
Old Jun 7th 2019, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Whittakers chocolate in NZ - probably has superseded Cadburys since the new owners started messing with people's chocolate.
Watties (tomato Ketchup and such like) = Heinz in NZ (but never quite the same)
Best Foods (Mayo) = Hellmanns
Holden = Vauxhall
Marmite (NZ) is very different to Marmite (UK)
Vegemite = similar to Marmite
Arnotts Biscuits = equivalent of Crawfords or McVities in UK
Sanitarium (mostly breakfast cereal) - maybe not quite Kellogs
Fonterra - Mainland (Dairy) / Anchor Butter etc all the same
Breville is an Aussie brand sold all over
Janola - Bleach & Cleaning products like Domestos
Pascalls (Lollies and sweets) - like Maynards
RJs Licorice = similar to Bassets (maybe better actually)
Streets (ice cream) = Walls
Uncle Tobys (Porridge & Breakfast Cereals such as Cheerios = Nestle
Hungry Jacks = Burger KIng

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Jun 7th 2019 at 9:56 pm.