Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Is Aus more "ageist" than uk?

Is Aus more "ageist" than uk?

Old Dec 11th 2011, 5:35 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Question Is Aus more "ageist" than uk?

Was listening to a radio station and heard an advert saying if you are over 50 you can get a free seniors news letter

An *over 50* came on the radio and they sounded ancient, could almost see them droolIs 50 anywhere near old these days? Given the populations world wide are getting older and older, is 50 still old?

People seem to age here more is it cos they think anyone over 40 is a fosill? Does the culture here value youth over experience?

Is Aus ageist do you think?

Last edited by sonlymewalter; Dec 11th 2011 at 5:48 am.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 5:41 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Aus more "ageist" than uk?

I'd say 'senior' implied retirement age -65 or so. 50 isn't old. Must be some marketing bullshit.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 5:45 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

No.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 6:01 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
I'd say 'senior' implied retirement age -65 or so. 50 isn't old. Must be some marketing bullshit.
That's what I thought which is why it seemd strange them mentoning over 50 Besides, anyone retiring before 70 will be bloody lucky these days

In quite a few of the companies I've worked in we've discussed succession planning and almost all seem to focus on the 30 year olds as being their most prized possession and the over 40's as being passed it. It reminds me of UK in the 80's The UK woke up after Maggie's era and realised the aging population has a lot to offer, besides each western country has fewer kids to pay the pension funds and the older population having to now pay their own way means these people need to work longer. I think this realisation changed the mindset in the UK and they (industry leaders) realised there was a lot to gain from employing the *older* (over 40's) - and that's when the values changed and what was once deemed old was no longer the case

I reckon Aus is still catching up with this thinking especially due to the family dynamics changing (smaller families) and older generation now having to start sustaining itself.

This is not a dig at Aus - but cultural thinking is based on cultural mix and Aus still needs to wake up to the *older* generation not being as old as it once was. Listen out for those retirement village adverts, they also talk of over 50 people being welcome

I still can't believe anyone thinks 50 is classed as old enough to want to go to a retirement village
Old Dec 11th 2011, 6:04 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Was listening to a radio station and heard an advert saying if you are over 50 you can get a free seniors news letter

An *over 50* came on the radio and they sounded ancient, could almost see them droolIs 50 anywhere near old these days? Given the populations world wide are getting older and older, is 50 still old?

People seem to age here more is it cos they think anyone over 40 is a fosill? Does the culture here value youth over experience?

Is Aus ageist do you think?
Isn't the age for Saga discounts 50? Without checking, I'm fairly sure it is - wouldn't that be the same sort of thing?
Old Dec 11th 2011, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Isn't the age for Saga discounts 50? Without checking, I'm fairly sure it is - wouldn't that be the same sort of thing?
Not sure mate? Is that in UK as well?

Edit: Yep UK and Aus Saga is over 50. Wonder how many retirement villages they have in UK for over 50's?

Last edited by sonlymewalter; Dec 11th 2011 at 6:09 am.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 6:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Some people seem to think their Australian family members are old.

I think that's the family. Most of the aged people we know spend hours doing things, outdoors etc.

The only thing I know is that there are a lot of baby boomers out there lucky enough to be able to retire a lot earlier than subsequent generations will be able to hence lifestyle choices.

But 50 in a home is bizarre so they're are probably broadening their target to get a sale.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

I think that's the family. Most of the aged people we know spend hours doing things, outdoors etc.

The only thing I know is that there are a lot of baby boomers out there lucky enough to be able to retire a lot earlier than subsequent generations will be able to hence lifestyle choices.

But 50 in a home is bizarre so they're are probably broadening their target to get a sale.
Do you reckon? Almost all the 25+ I know of can't seem to get on the property ladder cos the cost of property is astronomical....

The advert wasn't about people in their 50's going in a home.....it was about anyone over 50 being described as a "senior" and retirement villages for people aged 50

This was my point, is being 50 old enough to be classed as a senior or to consider going into a retirement village
Old Dec 11th 2011, 6:59 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure mate? Is that in UK as well?

Edit: Yep UK and Aus Saga is over 50. Wonder how many retirement villages they have in UK for over 50's?
Funny this should come up, I was reading the local paper this week and saw an ad for an 'Over 50s retirement village' and remarked how close this was, relatively.

Then I got a thump from the OH as I had forgotten that, with luck and a following wind, she will reach 50 before me.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 7:04 am

Do you reckon? Almost all the 25+ I know of can't seem to get on the property ladder cos the cost of property is astronomical....

The advert wasn't about people in their 50's going in a home.....it was about anyone over 50 being described as a "senior" and retirement villages for people aged 50

This was my point, is being 50 old enough to be classed as a senior or to consider going into a retirement village
Old Dec 11th 2011, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Funny this should come up, I was reading the local paper this week and saw an ad for an 'Over 50s retirement village' and remarked how close this was, relatively.

Then I got a thump from the OH as I had forgotten that, with luck and a following wind, she will reach 50 before me.
maybe she can move in first and stock up with the incontinent pants

I can't imagine anyone in UK going for a retirement village home at 50 can you
Old Dec 11th 2011, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

No, they'll be pushing their great grandchildren Chardonnay and Reebok (both born in same year but not twins, and to different fathers) to the postie to cash in their giros, then back to their council house to catch Jeremy Kyle and see their best mates on there with fag in one hand and a glass of cider in the other. Both hands dripping with Elizabeth Duke jewellery and stained yellow from the tobacco...
Old Dec 11th 2011, 7:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
No, they'll be pushing their great grandchildren Chardonnay and Reebok (both born in same year but not twins, and to different fathers) to the postie to cash in their giros, then back to their council house to catch Jeremy Kyle and see their best mates on there with fag in one hand and a glass of cider in the other. Both hands dripping with Elizabeth Duke jewellery and stained yellow from the tobacco...
Does it have to be a council house?
Old Dec 11th 2011, 7:20 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

maybe she can move in first and stock up with the incontinent pants

Nope.

Maybe it's all the ploy to justify the ridiculous people you see in the ads for these places.

None of the them look like urine-stained old gimmers and a few, I suspect, would still be hitting the night clubs at the weekend.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Does it have to be a council house?
Not really, it would have to be as close to the nearest post office as possible though!

Originally Posted by DeadVim
None of the them look like urine-stained old gimmers and a few, I suspect, would still be hitting the night clubs at the weekend.
That takes me back to living in the UK. Not me personally but I was never quite sure if I was too young or too old in the nightclubs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.