Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Au Job reference - furious!

Au Job reference - furious!

Old Mar 11th 2009, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of
Default Au Job reference - furious!

Is this the norm here???

My employer who I have gone out of my way to help out as I am only contracted to work 10 hrs per week have blocked any staff members giving a reference for me.

I pretty much have a great job lined up subject to 2 references and medical on friday. The first reference got out ok, but the 1 man band HR team on a power trip overheard and it seems the other person i asked to give me a reference is no longer allowed - apparently due to company policy

I haven't worked anywhere else in oz to provide me with a reference .... am seriously pissed off.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 9:58 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Au Job reference - furious!

Originally Posted by homewardbound
Is this the norm here???

My employer who I have gone out of my way to help out as I am only contracted to work 10 hrs per week have blocked any staff members giving a reference for me.

I pretty much have a great job lined up subject to 2 references and medical on friday. The first reference got out ok, but the 1 man band HR team on a power trip overheard and it seems the other person i asked to give me a reference is no longer allowed - apparently due to company policy

I haven't worked anywhere else in oz to provide me with a reference .... am seriously pissed off.
Many companies have policies against giving references for employees/former employees.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 10:02 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Is this the norm here???

I've given heaps of my mates fake references before and everytime they got the job. Mainly because there are so many companies that have this policy, including my previous employers.
Let me know if Mr Broad Shoulders CEO needs to give a reference
Old Mar 11th 2009, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

Lol Broad shoulders.

I honestly cant believe it... Ive never come across this in the UK before.

What is the reasoning behind it?
Old Mar 11th 2009, 10:12 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Lol Broad shoulders.

To protect themselves against litigation most likely. Sad but true.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 10:17 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Lol Broad shoulders.

what sort of work are you in just out of interest?
Old Mar 11th 2009, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

the job im going to or the job im in now?
Old Mar 11th 2009, 10:21 am
I'm Old Gregg!

the job im going to or the job im in now?
either. just thought that if you let people on here know what line of work you are in they might be able to help with a Broad Shoulders style reference
Old Mar 11th 2009, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

currently a forum moderator for a cosmetics company also going out of my way to deal with all their damned customer complaints via email/phone and helping them out in their mail order dept.

Going to hopefully a 'government agency' that pays $20000 more! And i'll also be doing the forum job too as they cant find anyone suitable to do it.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 10:26 am
I'm Old Gregg!

currently a forum moderator for a cosmetics company also going out of my way to deal with all their damned customer complaints via email/phone and helping them out in their mail order dept.

Going to hopefully a 'government agency' that pays $20000 more! And i'll also be doing the forum job too as they cant find anyone suitable to do it.
hence why they are so hung up about references! bummer!
well let me know if you want me to help, I'm an amazing bullsh!t artist.

Have I told you about how I taught Jimi Hendrix how to play the guitar?
Old Mar 11th 2009, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
hence why they are so hung up about references! bummer!
Hmmm maybe they should have offered me a decent wage to go FT as Cusomer services manager rather than the insult they did offer.... oh well

I'd take you up on your offer BUT they want 'verbal references!'
Old Mar 11th 2009, 10:37 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

I can give you a verbal reference - I have lots of experience of your forum posting ability. . Well I manage one, does that count.

I am partners in an IT business (not in my signature ) - pm me if you would like any help.

V
Old Mar 11th 2009, 10:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Is this the norm here???

Are HR refusing to give you an "official" reference too? If so, that sounds off but telling staff not to give out references is extremely common and I don't think the HR person is on a power trip, just being aware of the risks of litigation. I am sure if you explained the situation to the new employer they would understand or perhaps you can ask for someone to provide a character reference instead.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 10:51 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Is this the norm here???
I've heard of this before here. Seems to be standard enough. Just one of those adjustments you get used to after being here a while. It's an example of a typical unexpected item (i.e something you would never have come across in the U.K. or Ireland) that can make the first few years here a bit 'difficult' as you transition.

The flip side is that as it is a common enough practice, the new mob will have to take that into account for the job you are interviewing for.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Well the good news is the Marketing manager gave me a glowing reference before 'powertrip' overheard and that is why i cant get the second reference... I hope it doesnt sound too dodgy to the agency requesting the references. LOL

The agency seemed very surprised that the 2nd reference couldnt be given.

Oh well will wait and see what the agency manager decides about my situation.

And yes it totally took me by surprise... oh well at least i know not to expect references in the future!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.