Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Arsonists - how would you punish them?

Arsonists - how would you punish them?

Old Dec 1st 2010, 11:19 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Arsonists - how would you punish them?

I felt sick when I saw on the news just how bad the fire is tonight, they said it is head towards Port Kennedy. Cops reckon it was started on purpose

Now what kind of person does that? Puts the lives of the emergency services at risk and everyone living in the area not to mention the environmental impact.

Personally I would be happy to hear of those that start fires like this, were found burned to death, or perhaps have enough severe burns that they require care for the rest of their natural life, no matter how young or old - they know exactly what they are doing.

How would you punish them?
Old Dec 1st 2010, 11:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arsonists - how would you punish them?

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I felt sick when I saw on the news just how bad the fire is tonight, they said it is head towards Port Kennedy. Cops reckon it was started on purpose
For info - anyone over that way

Bushfire alert for Karnup, Baldivis, Golden Bay and Secret Harbour, City of Rockingham

and
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...5&postcount=39
Old Dec 1st 2010, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Lordy. That is a hard one. I don't think I'd like to see them severely burned so they need care because that is then a drain on government funding/benefits etc.

Prison obviously but I'd probably be childish and want someone to torch their place while they looked on.

I think I'd still have to have belief that the justice system will do its job properly.

Are there bad bushfires then?
Old Dec 1st 2010, 11:25 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Those poor people.

Do you remember last summer Polly, you sent me those links as we had a fire down our way and I in my ignorance said to you 'Oh its 7km away, we will be fine' and you told me 7km is nothing in terms of fires if the wind is in the wrong direction.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Kingseat
Lordy. That is a hard one. I don't think I'd like to see them severely burned so they need care because that is then a drain on government funding/benefits etc.

Prison obviously but I'd probably be childish and want someone to torch their place while they looked on.

I think I'd still have to have belief that the justice system will do its job properly.

Yep really bad, FESA said it is now too late to leave, so do your best to defend your home/family and there is immediate threat to life. That must be so frightening.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 11:38 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Those poor people.

Do you remember last summer Polly, you sent me those links as we had a fire down our way and I in my ignorance said to you 'Oh its 7km away, we will be fine' and you told me 7km is nothing in terms of fires if the wind is in the wrong direction.
Thats right, 7km is nothing when you think fires can cross the Bass Strait with a couple of embers (for those who don't know, thats the stretch of water between Victoria and Tassie).
This one sounds like its moving fast. Hope everyone over there is OK
Old Dec 1st 2010, 12:22 pm
Chelle66

Chelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kingseat

I'd happily pay extra tax to see those b******s burn. They obviously didn't give a damn about the tragedy and heartache they were going to cause, so why should we give a damn about them? Childish? Possibly, but I don't have much faith in the justice system.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 12:27 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chelle66
I'd happily pay extra tax to see those b******s burn. They obviously didn't give a damn about the tragedy and heartache they were going to cause, so why should we give a damn about them? Childish? Possibly, but I don't have much faith in the justice system.
I agree to a degree. Sadly there is no thing as justice but the system we have I believe is the best we have. I would gladly pay more tax for longer sentences which I think these people deserve (and for a whole heap of other crimes here where sentencing seems ridiculously light)
Old Dec 1st 2010, 12:31 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

When I first read your thread title it made me smile because arsonist doesn't sound like a word to describe someone who starts fires but rather, as Jonathan Ross once put it, a horticulturist who favours a gradient. On that basis I'd line them up against a wall and laugh at them, maybe for several hours.

Then I read the content of the thread and I'd have to change my vote to lethal injection, as they simply don't deserve the attention.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 12:43 pm
Chelle66

Chelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really nice

My hubby just suggested sending them down for as long as it takes for the area they burnt, to recover and if someone bulldozes it and builds on it, well tough!
Old Dec 1st 2010, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Chelle66
My hubby just suggested sending them down for as long as it takes for the area they burnt, to recover and if someone bulldozes it and builds on it, well tough!
You see if its kids doing this then I would still happily see them burnt, I would happily pray for them to be caught in the very fire that they started with the emergency services unable to save them.

I believe in equality for men/women/children and I firmly think that people that do this, know exactly what they are doing and do so for attention, excitement etc. Yet if they were asked if they would like to be in the middle of the fire that they have started, they would say no, if they were asked if someone could burn their house down while they were in it to see if they could escape in good time, then the answer would be no.

That tells me they know what they are doing and the worst thing is, I have a feeling that these attacks are only just starting, thus putting a drain on our already dangerously low water supplies.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 1:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

You see if its kids doing this then I would still happily see them burnt, I would happily pray for them to be caught in the very fire that they started with the emergency services unable to save them.I believe in equality for men/women/children and I firmly think that people that do this, know exactly what they are doing and do so for attention, excitement etc. Yet if they were asked if they would like to be in the middle of the fire that they have started, they would say no, if they were asked if someone could burn their house down while they were in it to see if they could escape in good time, then the answer would be no.

That tells me they know what they are doing and the worst thing is, I have a feeling that these attacks are only just starting, thus putting a drain on our already dangerously low water supplies.

call me a bleeding heart liberal... but I'm thinking you're being a bit knee jerk reactionist there mate...

You may be talking about some one who is mentally ill... and surely the sick deserve our pity? Kids do things that are stupid... mostly with no real idea of the consequences...

During the heatwave in the uk of ?76 (or was it 74? can't remember).... I set fire to our garden using guncaps and a piece of toilet roll... I had NO IDEA that it would work... or that it would get out of control... or that our neighbours would loose their sheds... Luckily I lived in a country where an idiotic childish prank didn't cost lives... otherwise I'd have people beying for my blood also..

eds
xxx
Old Dec 1st 2010, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

Make them live in WA - punishment for the most heinous of crimes.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by eddie007
call me a bleeding heart liberal... but I'm thinking you're being a bit knee jerk reactionist there mate...

You may be talking about some one who is mentally ill... and surely the sick deserve our pity? Kids do things that are stupid... mostly with no real idea of the consequences...

During the heatwave in the uk of ?76 (or was it 74? can't remember).... I set fire to our garden using guncaps and a piece of toilet roll... I had NO IDEA that it would work... or that it would get out of control... or that our neighbours would loose their sheds... Luckily I lived in a country where an idiotic childish prank didn't cost lives... otherwise I'd have people beying for my blood also..

eds
xxx
Probably right there Eddie, it is a knee jerk reaction from me but you have to admit this Summer it seems particularly bad for firebugs and it makes me wonder why they are doing it, is it an organised group of people?

And I guess in the event of people losing their lives, what should be done to punish them? But I will admit to not feeling sorry if the person that started the fire couldnt escape as quickly as they thought they could.

We came close to evacuating last year and I have never been so scared.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Streaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond repute

Probably right there Eddie, it is a knee jerk reaction from me but you have to admit this Summer it seems particularly bad for firebugs and it makes me wonder why they are doing it, is it an organised group of people?

And I guess in the event of people losing their lives, what should be done to punish them? But I will admit to not feeling sorry if the person that started the fire couldnt escape as quickly as they thought they could.

We came close to evacuating last year and I have never been so scared.
just wrote a very long post but have deleted it cus dont wanna bore you all but in short I just read that all that panic last night was caused by some twat RELIGHTING the fire?????? WTF is that all about? thats not someone who doesn't really know what they are doing that is someone who is severely sick in the head, whether mentally or just plain evil whatever I hope they rot in hell!! and yes we were involved but more my d-i-l's horses which caused the most upset (but they are now fine)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.