Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Arriving in the olden days

Wikiposts

Arriving in the olden days

Old Mar 7th 2009, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice
Default Arriving in the olden days

With some justification, many think coming to Oz is harder than it was in the 10 pound days. But to get an insight it to what it was like in the days of sail, visit the James Craig at the Sydney Heritage Fleet wharf just beyond the National Maritime Museum at Darling Harbour.

There is a fair bit of activity on the Harbour in the coming week so now is the time to go.

http://www.shf.org.au/WhatsOn/WhatsOn.html
Old Mar 7th 2009, 11:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arriving in the olden days

Actually, in many respects it is much easier now. I can't imagine how brave & adventurous people needed to be in the 50's & 60's. Now we have the internet which allows us to research & network before we arrive & have a really good idea of what we are coming to. Also, not sure I would have coped with 6 weeks on a boat either
Old Mar 7th 2009, 11:21 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Just thinking about the fact that today when we leave, generally people can afford to visit whereas years ago when they said goodbye, it was usually for good never to see their family again

Really, we don't know how lucky we are today
Old Mar 7th 2009, 11:22 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Just thinking about the fact that today when we leave, generally people can afford to visit whereas years ago when they said goodbye, it was usually for good never to see their family again

My sister was a £10 migrant as a teacher.

She returned to the UK after a couple of years.

G
Old Mar 7th 2009, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
A view much reinforced when you see the accommodation on the James Craig. And we whinge about the discomforts of cattle class in a 747.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 11:37 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling

G
I spoke with a ten pound migrant and he mentioned that they had to stay for a period of time otherwise they had to find their own way back which was beyond the reach of most in other words, like it or lump it. That was emotionally difficult for those who hated it and wanted to go back "home".
Old Mar 7th 2009, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Banksia
A view much reinforced when you see the accommodation on the James Craig. And we whinge about the discomforts of cattle class in a 747.
I know, I'd rather pay as we do today and at least get here quickly and know what we're coming to. Also, most migrants at least have some money in their pocket and less stress.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling

G
And the lessons found were not used by the rest of your family (?)

No need to thank me!
Old Mar 7th 2009, 5:05 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
And the lessons found were not used by the rest of your family (?)
Certainly not lost on me

but if I can help out the colonials in any way.............
Old Mar 7th 2009, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Actually, in many respects it is much easier now. I can't imagine how brave & adventurous people needed to be in the 50's & 60's. Now we have the internet which allows us to research & network before we arrive & have a really good idea of what we are coming to. Also, not sure I would have coped with 6 weeks on a boat either
I agree, i dont know if I'd have had the courage to make the move if I knew I'd probably never see the rest of my family again.

cheap air travel (well, uk to aus at least!) and the internet certainly make it a lot easier these days
Old Mar 7th 2009, 11:10 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Actually, in many respects it is much easier now:
tell me how it would be any worse now than then?

My grandparents were ten pound poms. They left the UK in 1964 and flew into Essendon airport (GO BOMBERS!) they and their two youngest children (15 and 17) were placed into a hostel where they all shared a room for the next 2 years. The only way to contact home was to book a call through the international operator (which was expensive and unreliable) or write a letter that took weeks.

They all worked 7 days a week and they bought their first 3 bed home in Bayswater Melbourne after 2 years.

They moved around a bit and even lived by the sea in W/A for a few years. They are both buried with their parents back in Woodlands, Sth Yorkshire, but always cheered the Aussies in the cricket

Not bad for a miner bringing up 5 kids in a back to back 2 up 2 down in Yorkshire. They found their own piece of Utopia for sure

But sailing here...that would be grimness with a capital G!
Old Mar 7th 2009, 11:38 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't have thought anyone would think it was harder now. Not if they had any sense anyway. They had no concept of what they were coming to; they travelled here on the assumption that they would never see their families again; they arrived and were put in nissen huts/barracks etc etc etc. And that's without even considering the lack of internet or SKYPE.

It's a relative piece of cake these days.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 11:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=hevs;7356653]tell me how it would be any worse now than then?

OK, in every respect!!!!
Old Mar 7th 2009, 11:58 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hevs
that would be grimness with a capital G!
Grayling?
Old Mar 8th 2009, 12:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kporte
Grayling?