British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   ANZAC Day - Dress Code (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/anzac-day-dress-code-795087/)

ROMFT_WO2RN Apr 24th 2013 11:23 pm

ANZAC Day - Dress Code

Just attended my first ANZAC day ceremony down under with the kids Scout group. Nice and simple ceremony with a few old timers there.

One observation though is that they're a scruffy shower :confused: Whilst I had gone into full Remembrance mode and got up early enough for a standard sh!t, shower n shave on suit and off we go it would appear that this isn't the "aussie way"? Lots of tracksuits, trainers, woolly hats (left on during the ceremony) and unshaven blokes?

Is this normal for Oz or just my local area? In short do I need to shackle my inner WO and just accept the local custom?

Genuinely interested and not just having a whinge ;)

DeadVim Apr 24th 2013 11:35 pm

Re: ANZAC Day - Dress Code

Going by dress standards for weddings and the like around here I'd say it was fairly common.

It's just the "Aussie Way". Be thankful that there isn't a parade of Southern Starred budgie smuggler clad blokes riding XXXX floats. :blink:

eddie007 Apr 25th 2013 12:11 am

Don't fret about the state of suited and bootedness ......Anzac Day is so very well supported.

Rather a dozen people rock up in pjs and uggs to remember than just one knob in a whistle

DeadVim Apr 25th 2013 12:27 am

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 10677125)
Don't fret about the state of suited and bootedness ......Anzac Day is so very well supported.

Rather a dozen people rock up in pjs and uggs to remember than just one knob in a whistle

Wise words. :amen:

Bernieboy Apr 25th 2013 12:28 am

Come to Bastille day with me in Paris n see it done proper,i'll even get you into the 'free' mess ;)

sonlymewalter Apr 25th 2013 12:50 am

Amen sista:amen::thumbup:

ROMFT its the Aussie way mate - anything goes - its not important what's on the outside its what's on the inside that matters. Aussies generally leave the formal judgmental stuff to the Poms who have a stick up their arse - you'll get used to it mate;)

ROMFT_WO2RN Apr 25th 2013 12:52 am

Plenty of people there :thumbup:

don't think speedo's and vets with medals is a look I'll be going for anytime soon though :D

Originally Posted by Bernieboy (Post 10677136)
Come to Bastille day with me in Paris n see it done proper,i'll even get you into the 'free' mess ;)

Will I have to eat cheese and surrender though :sneaky: :scarper:

ROMFT_WO2RN Apr 25th 2013 12:53 am

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter (Post 10677154)
Amen sista:amen::thumbup:

ROMFT its the Aussie way mate - anything goes - its not important what's on the outside its what's on the inside that matters. Aussies generally leave the formal judgmental stuff to the Poms who have a stick up their arse - you'll get used to it mate;)

:lol:it's not a stick it's a jackstaff :p

sonlymewalter Apr 25th 2013 1:18 am

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN (Post 10677160)
:lol:it's not a stick it's a jackstaff :p

Lol....to the uninitiated its a bloody stick mate:p:lol:

next year I dare ya to wear ya uniform and flipflops. You can leave the stick at home:lol:

moneypenny20 Apr 25th 2013 1:54 am

If they're prepared to get up and go to a dawn service they can wear what the **** they want imo. Me and the daughters went to the Mother's funeral the other week wearing jeans. We had nothing 'suitable' for a funeral in a freezing climate, had gone a bloody long way to be there and decided being there was 100% more important than what we were wearing.

carolinephillips Apr 25th 2013 3:01 am

On a slightly different note, OH and I have to go to DD's valedictory dinner, and on the invite it says to dress for "after 5". Now, normally I'm in pj's and fluffy robe as I go to bed ridiculously early, but I'm sure that isn't what is required. Just what am I supposed to wear????:confused:

ROMFT_WO2RN Apr 25th 2013 3:05 am

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter (Post 10677189)
Lol....to the uninitiated its a bloody stick mate:p:lol:

next year I dare ya to wear ya uniform and flipflops. You can leave the stick at home:lol:

No more uniform, damn civvy now. Flipflops are only to be worn to and from the shower onboard,

Might have to go for medals as a nipple ring though ;)

eddie007 Apr 25th 2013 3:09 am

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN (Post 10677231)
No more uniform, damn civvy now. Flipflops are only to be worn to and from the shower onboard,

So not only are you demobbed, but you are debagged too.... :(

sonlymewalter Apr 25th 2013 3:09 am

Originally Posted by carolinephillips (Post 10677228)
On a slightly different note, OH and I have to go to DD's valedictory dinner, and on the invite it says to dress for "after 5". Now, normally I'm in pj's and fluffy robe as I go to bed ridiculously early, but I'm sure that isn't what is required. Just what am I supposed to wear????:confused:

Trackie dacs and tshit until about 9pm - then strip naked when its normally bedtime:D

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN (Post 10677231)

You've been here months - whats taken you so long:D

ROMFT_WO2RN Apr 25th 2013 3:14 am

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter (Post 10677233)
Trackie dacs and tshit until about 9pm - then strip naked when its normally bedtime:D

You've been here months - whats taken you so long:D

They're bloody heavy, might start with the miniatures and no I don't mean spirits :p