ANZAC Day.

Old Apr 21st 2011, 6:39 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute
Default ANZAC Day.

Its ANZAC day this weekend.

I guess a lot of recent arrivals won’t understand it, or care about it. I didn’t when I arrived.

I was lucky, in that I caught the end of the better years. In the mid 80s to mid 90s there were WW1 diggers around, some fit enough to even march. There were hundreds of thousands of WW2 diggers, who were still working in those days. They would fill the Sydney bars with songs and stories.

The bands were either military ones, or bands comprising of former military members. They were good too.

Time marches on, and not that many WW2 diggers make it these days. I saw one die on George Street a few years ago. The reaper caught up with him, but at least he was surrounded by mates when he went.

I stopped going to the march a few years ago when it became more like a fancy dress parade. Schoolkids who have split grandads medal sets. Ex Cadets acting like they came back from the landing itself. MacDonald’s marching girls band.

I still go to the dawn service, a small bottle of whisky in my coat pocket. I think the ANZACs would forgive me taking a swig afterwards. Nice atmosphere in Martin Place. Dotted around the city similar dawn services take place. Sydney university hold a nice one in the Quad.

Does anyone have plans to attend, or is it just a public holiday these days?
Old Apr 21st 2011, 6:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ANZAC Day.

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool

I guess a lot of recent arrivals won’t understand it, or care about it. I didn’t when I arrived.

I was lucky, in that I caught the end of the better years. In the mid 80s to mid 90s there were WW1 diggers around, some fit enough to even march. There were hundreds of thousands of WW2 diggers, who were still working in those days. They would fill the Sydney bars with songs and stories.

The bands were either military ones, or bands comprising of former military members. They were good too.

Time marches on, and not that many WW2 diggers make it these days. I saw one die on George Street a few years ago. The reaper caught up with him, but at least he was surrounded by mates when he went.

I stopped going to the march a few years ago when it became more like a fancy dress parade. Schoolkids who have split grandads medal sets. Ex Cadets acting like they came back from the landing itself. MacDonald’s marching girls band.

I still go to the dawn service, a small bottle of whisky in my coat pocket. I think the ANZACs would forgive me taking a swig afterwards. Nice atmosphere in Martin Place. Dotted around the city similar dawn services take place. Sydney university hold a nice one in the Quad.

I probably wont be attending, but I've been here long enough to have mixed with the old Diggers and hear a lot of the stories first hand.

I found their views on the Americans from that time very interesting.... almost to a man. Certainly very different to how they viewed the British Tommys.... Got along very well with the UK soldiers by all accounts.

Anzac day is a great occasion they do celebrate it well here.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 6:47 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool

The local RSL run one at my fishing club so I will be going down on Monday morning. RAAF flypast and a $5 brekkie. It is always a lovely thing to attend.

My kids school do a lovely ceremony, I am glad they are teaching the youngsters what it is all about, even if they way they celebrate these days is slightly different to years ago. Better than just ignoring it.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

don544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond repute

always take my 2 girls to the dawn service in kings park, Perth, to show our respect.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

The kids are supposed to be singing in the school choir for the local service, so I suppose we'll have to go.

Last year we watched the sun rise over the Gulf in Dubai with a couple of hundred Aussies and Kiwis to the news of the NZ Helicopter crash - was really sad.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 8:13 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

We do the dawn service with the kids every year. We get no trouble from the kids they understand why we do it. We sell ANZAC badges every year (and Poppies) for the local RSL.

Don't forget those that fought in Vietnam as well. A lot of them had little choice. Remember Vietnam was the first time Aus introduced the draft.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 12:09 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to the Dawn Service where I live, I will be recording it and the parade for my Dad and making a DVD for him as he would have wanted to go had he been able to stay.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlYynHmE8b0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxkMafUfszs

Last edited by CelticRover; Apr 21st 2011 at 3:04 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

BigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Kim67
The kids are supposed to be singing in the school choir for the local service, so I suppose we'll have to go.

sounds like you dont wanna go
Old Apr 21st 2011, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I probably wont be attending, but I've been here long enough to have mixed with the old Diggers and hear a lot of the stories first hand.

I found their views on the Americans from that time very interesting.... almost to a man. Certainly very different to how they viewed the British Tommys.... Got along very well with the UK soldiers by all accounts.

Anzac day is a great occasion they do celebrate it well here.

Share with us.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigH68
sounds like you dont wanna go
It might be a bit of a struggle this year - friends over from Perth for easter and my birthday the next day so we may have had a couple of big nights.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 11:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CelticRover
Share with us.
Leaving injured Australian soldiers for dead up in Papua New Guinea even though they would treat their own and had the capacity to treat more.

Smashing all of their equipment when they left their bases here... The very large smashed water pumps really upset the locals here. Huts... Vehicles...Kitchen Equipment... Supposedly smashed more out of spite and arrogance rather than policy.

Find anyone that was actually there and they will tell you similar stories.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

ColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud of

Leaving injured Australian soldiers for dead up in Papua New Guinea even though they would treat their own and had the capacity to treat more.

Smashing all of their equipment when they left their bases here... The very large smashed water pumps really upset the locals here. Huts... Vehicles...Kitchen Equipment... Supposedly smashed more out of spite and arrogance rather than policy.

I'm planning on walking down to the Dawn service at the Australian War Memorial. The F/A-18 flypast always gives me the goosebumps..
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

What year approximately?
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 2:32 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

OH is secretary of the local RSL. We'll be attending twice. Once in the morning in town and once in the afternoon in another smaller town where OH will be the guest speaker.

I'm just the driver.

Sad thing, all the WW1 guys are gone now and it won't be long before the WW2 people are all gone as well. Vietnam vets weren't given a good time of it when they got back. Hopefully things will improve for them in the coming years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.