Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anyone tried Hello Fresh, etc?

Anyone tried Hello Fresh, etc?

Old May 24th 2019, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone tried Hello Fresh, etc?

Now I'm having to cook for myself, I can of course go shopping but I've been wondering about those "everything sorted and delivered to your door" services.

Hello Fresh for example, all their meals are for two at least. Could I simply halve everything and make a delivery last two weeks? Even with the regular weekly price of $69.95, that means only $35/week if I cook for one. Even less as the price is currently showing as $34.95 for a week's food for two.

Thoughts on other similar services?
Old May 24th 2019, 12:51 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone tried Hello Fresh, etc?

Originally Posted by Lucas_Dad View Post
Now I'm having to cook for myself, I can of course go shopping but I've been wondering about those "everything sorted and delivered to your door" services.

Hello Fresh for example, all their meals are for two at least. Could I simply halve everything and make a delivery last two weeks? Even with the regular weekly price of $69.95, that means only $35/week if I cook for one. Even less as the price is currently showing as $34.95 for a week's food for two.

Two of my sisters have recently started using Hello Fresh. Overall they're pleased with the quality of the ingredients and the variety of different meals they can make. Only two negatives I've heard from them is that the portions are quite small, and on one occasion the 'fresh' beans were - er - not. Apparently they were refunded for this though plus given a credit.

It's good that you're giving some thought to your meals, eating healthily is a huge part of feeling good and staying well.
Old May 24th 2019, 2:13 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I signed up for a week's trial for $10 (which for various reasons ended up being refunded). It's okay. It's WAY overpriced when compared to buying the stuff yourself but the quality is good. I found the portion sizes to be okay, but it's not like cooking something from scratch, where you can usually have enough for a 2nd helping. The recipes are nice (in fact I'm still using them) and easy to follow. For someone like me who likes to cook, it's a bit of a waste but they are selling convenience and time over cost.

Old May 24th 2019, 2:16 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu View Post
I signed up for a week's trial for $10 (which for various reasons ended up being refunded). It's okay. It's WAY overpriced when compared to buying the stuff yourself but the quality is good. I found the portion sizes to be okay, but it's not like cooking something from scratch, where you can usually have enough for a 2nd helping. The recipes are nice (in fact I'm still using them) and easy to follow. For someone like me who likes to cook, it's a bit of a waste but they are selling convenience and time over cost.

Good advice
Old May 25th 2019, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers y'all.

I do need of course to start eating again ... but that ok. I've lost appetite before and it always comes back. And that beer belly REALLY needed to start shifting..
Old May 25th 2019, 1:13 pm
Concierge

Cheers y'all.

I do need of course to start eating again ... but that ok. I've lost appetite before and it always comes back. And that beer belly REALLY needed to start shifting..
Yes, you do need to start eating again. Your body (including the old brain box) can't possibly stay healthy without nutrients.

Even if you don't particularly feel like eating, you still need to. Luckily the weather's getting cooler now, you can knock up a lovely pot of soup with tons of veggies in and a bit of protein, that's a lovely meal to nourish yourself with. Especially with a hunk of crusty bread.

Eating well and no alcohol will take care of the beer belly
Old Nov 30th 2019, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

PittwaterPrincess is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello there

I was thinking about using a similar food delivery service, as I was exhausted when I got home from work, and did not feel like shopping or cooking.

Looked at a few, but it really worked out to be too expensive overall.

I started instead to have a smoothie for dinner every night in summer.

Some fresh fruit, some coconut water, and a scoop of protein powder.

Takes less than five minutes to make. A few seconds to wash up. Has good nutrition. Sleeping better without a heavy meal digesting.

And best of all, reduced my beer belly..........

You could replace one or two meals with a smoothie quite easily.

Yesterday I had a blueberry smoothie for breakfast, main lunch (chicken risotto) and a banana smoothie for dinner

If you feel a bit peckish afterwards (which you might in the first few weeks as you body adjusts) - then just have some fruit or nut & dried fruit trail mix

Anyway just a suggestion for your predicament
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for revitalising this thread too!

I went back and read my original post. "Now I have to cook for myself". That sounds a bit pathetic. I always cooked for my family. I should have written "Now I have to cook only for myself"...

Me and my boys love smoothies. My stock recipe is to get frozen mango from Woolies ($4/bag), which I can stretch to 4 big jugs. I usually do a handful of that, a banana, half a cup of Formé Zero yoghurt, whiz it up, then add milk to thin it down as required. Yum. Sometimes crush in a Berri mango icy pole, or just a handful of ice to chill it down further. When I've run out of yoghurt I'll whiz in a Bulla Frozen Yoghurt paddle pop. Always stock up on those when they're on special.

I do need to be careful with the biccies though. That pack of 57c choc wafers has no nutritional value whatsoever, but I can easily knock off a packet in two days.... sometimes less... just as well my wife(ex) did me a favour by taking the car and I have to cycle everywhere

All that said, as much as I do enjoy cooking, I have resorted to microwave meals quite a lot. Sure a Woolies chicken curry isn't the height of healthy, but they're only $3 so extremely kind to the wallet, and a big bag of Woolies fresh snap-frozen veg is only $1.50. I add a bowl of that in to the curry. Job done. And I can fart in bed as much as I like now A $7 Steggles chicken roasted for a Sunday dinner for me and my boys lasts me a good 3-4 days too

I agree about the cost of those other services. Once you look past the introductory offers and the smiley "my life has been transformed" adverts, they're not especially cheap. But they save time and effort for lots of people, and that's fine. As my counsellor said to me today - a phrase I'd never heard before - different stroked for different folks!
Old Dec 4th 2019, 12:30 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

As my counsellor said to me today - a phrase I'd never heard before - different stroked for different folks!

It's good that you're getting into the hang of things, on a nutritional front. How is everything else going?
Old Dec 10th 2019, 1:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dreamy View Post

It's good that you're getting into the hang of things, on a nutritional front. How is everything else going?
Haha I was watching that programme in the GP surgery recently. Been years since I last saw it. I was quite happy for once for the GP to be running late.

I'm doing really well, thanks for asking. The 'situation' is still pants, but the most important thing - my health - is vastly improved. I've even been meditating daily, thanks in part to a Dr Michael Mosley documentary:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/art...ry-mindfulness

Wife(ex) is still refusing a great many things, and wants to force the sale of the house. Custody of our sons is yet to be formalised, mutual visit/access not formalised, yet she's hung up on money and the house. Totally messed up priorities. Court date is Feb for the house. I'm hoping a judge will look at it and rule "look, get the kids sorted out first, then worry about the house, yeah?!" I have a very supportive GP, a counsellor I've built a really good relationship with, and friends and family looking out for me. And I feel fit again - 95kg in May, 78kg now.

And Arsenal won a match for a change