Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Is anyone a theatre goer?

Wikiposts

Is anyone a theatre goer?

Old May 4th 2012, 1:06 pm
Excessively Diverted

Luthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is anyone a theatre goer?

I enjoy live theatre, all genres. Anyone else?

Saw The Wild Duck at the Malthouse recently and can recommend it
http://www.malthousetheatre.com.au/s...the-wild-duck/
Ewen Leslie is brilliant. His Richard III last year was wonderful. I'd be happy to watch him put out his rubbish bins

Saw Importance of being Ernest at the MTC early this year with Geoffrey rush as lady bracknall .

Looking at tickets for war horse at the end of the year. Anyone seen it in the UK? Looking at tickets between Xmas and new year for the whole family.
Couldnt get to the John Cleese show recently as clashed with work. Plan to see lord of the rings screened with the Melbourne symphony orchestra playing the score. See how close I can get to the orchestra pit, close my eyes and feel the sound.
Old May 4th 2012, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is anyone a theatre goer?

Originally Posted by Luthien

Ewen Leslie is brilliant. His Richard III last year was wonderful. I'd be happy to watch him put out his rubbish bins

Saw Importance of being Ernest at the MTC early this year with Geoffrey rush as lady bracknall .

Looking at tickets for war horse at the end of the year. Anyone seen it in the UK? Looking at tickets between Xmas and new year for the whole family.
Couldnt get to the John Cleese show recently as clashed with work. Plan to see lord of the rings screened with the Melbourne symphony orchestra playing the score. See how close I can get to the orchestra pit, close my eyes and feel the sound.
Not much time for that at the mo....but we've been to MSO and a few concerts given by choirs. Only cos my mate was singin' and I wanted to see if he was any good...
Old May 4th 2012, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Yes we've been to a few nights at the MSO and the ABC's Iwaki theatre at Southbank. Daughter plays in the Melbourne Youth Strings and the Percy Granger Orchestra, Hence the trips to the Iwaki. She is probably heading for the MSO as a Viola player.

Really enjoy the MSO's concerts at the Melbourne Town Hall... it's a great venue.

Last Live theatre we went to was quite a while ago., The Producers at the Princess theatre. Oh and the Wizard of OZ at the Regent Theatre. Really sorry we missed the Jersey Boys.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 4th 2012 at 3:08 pm.
Old May 4th 2012, 4:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

The John Cleese show was mostly a prolonged rant about his ex wives and knocking the other Pythons.
Old May 4th 2012, 6:16 pm
Excessively Diverted

Luthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
The John Cleese show was mostly a prolonged rant about his ex wives and knocking the other Pythons.
I heard him interviewed on ABC radio and he wasn't particularly likable. Not sure if it was a bad day...benefit of the doubt I guess.

On the other hand I love Miriam Margoyles, such a character . Wished I had seen her Dicken's women show. I think she has a home in the Blue Mountains
Old May 4th 2012, 6:22 pm
Excessively Diverted

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Yes we've been to a few nights at the MSO and the ABC's Iwaki theatre at Southbank. Daughter plays in the Melbourne Youth Strings and the Percy Granger Orchestra, Hence the trips to the Iwaki. She is probably heading for the MSO as a Viola player.

Really enjoy the MSO's concerts at the Melbourne Town Hall... it's a great venue.

Last Live theatre we went to was quite a while ago., The Producers at the Princess theatre. Oh and the Wizard of OZ at the Regent Theatre. Really sorry we missed the Jersey Boys.
Clever daughter . I'm looking forward to the re-opening of Hamer Hall at Southbank at the end of June. The acoustics are supposed to be much improved.
Old May 4th 2012, 6:26 pm
Excessively Diverted

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Not much time for that at the mo....but we've been to MSO and a few concerts given by choirs. Only cos my mate was singin' and I wanted to see if he was any good...
We were housebound while our kids were younger but now the eldest is 19, youngest 14 and we have more opportunity to venture out. Hope your mate made it worth your while
Old May 4th 2012, 6:38 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Friends of mine saw him here and Perth and were very disappointed.
Old May 4th 2012, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

We go fairly regularly with OH's work. Have tickets for Barry Humphries farewell tour which I am looking forward to. Saw BH do a monologue a couple of years ago to music which I really enjoyed
Old May 4th 2012, 9:12 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Luthien

If you look closely you may spot a musician doing a crossword or reading a book.French horn section are usually good for this unless it's Wagner and they have lot's to do.It can be very off putting when your're on stage giving it your all and you spot someone in the pit doing soduku.
Old May 4th 2012, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

We saw John Cleese on the GC and really enjoyed it - nothing to call a rant at all. As expected, though, Ross Noble was much more entertaining a few weeks ago and we've got tickets for Yes PM and Stephen K Amos this month.

One of the best we've seen here was Brenda Blethyn in an Alan Bennett monologue.
Old May 5th 2012, 12:34 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lesleys
We saw John Cleese on the GC and really enjoyed it.
Agreed

We saw him in Brisbane and thought he was really good.

I think a lot of people just don't understand subtle humour
Old May 5th 2012, 10:49 am
Excessively Diverted

Only saw 2 shows at the Comedy Festival this year. Jeff Green (for the first time) and the Pyjama Men (from the US).

Here's an old (2005) Jeff green

Old May 5th 2012, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

NigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond repute

We like live theatre but scared to go out at night now.
Old May 5th 2012, 10:56 am
Excessively Diverted

Originally Posted by ukecadet
If you look closely you may spot a musician doing a crossword or reading a book.French horn section are usually good for this unless it's Wagner and they have lot's to do.It can be very off putting when your're on stage giving it your all and you spot someone in the pit doing soduku.
I'll be sure to look now thanks
I saw a clip of Howard Shore conducting a similar performance in the US a few years go. I remember the look on his face as the music ended. It must be amazing to be in the middle of the orchestra pit amongst that wave of sound

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.