British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Anyone Skied Mount Mawson in Tassie ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/anyone-skied-mount-mawson-tassie-793194/)

twhurl Apr 7th 2013 12:10 pm

Anyone Skied Mount Mawson in Tassie ?

How does it compare to Baw Baw etc in Vic?
Val D'isere?
Whistler ?

Beoz Apr 9th 2013 1:59 am

Re: Anyone Skied Mount Mawson in Tassie ?

Originally Posted by twhurl (Post 10644669)
How does it compare to Baw Baw etc in Vic?
Val D'isere?
Whistler ?

Just speculating ..... I've been to Falls Creek, Buller, Perisher and Thedders and I'd rather stick a hot knife in my eye than ever ski in Australia again ...... it may extend to Mount Mawson but as I've never heard of the place but I suspect not.

twhurl Apr 9th 2013 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 10648067)
Just speculating ..... I've been to Falls Creek, Buller, Perisher and Thedders and I'd rather stick a hot knife in my eye than ever ski in Australia again ...... it may extend to Mount Mawson but as I've never heard of the place but I suspect not.

Really ? Why ? Bad conditions ? Our kids are begging us they've never seen snow, except a few flakes in England as babies, so we just need to get them on a snowboard and give them a slide.

Beoz Apr 9th 2013 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by twhurl (Post 10649183)
Really ? Why ? Bad conditions ? Our kids are begging us they've never seen snow, except a few flakes in England as babies, so we just need to get them on a snowboard and give them a slide.

Right. If its for the kids then take them. They won't be disappointed but if you want to compare to nth America or Europe then don't even try. Not sure about mawson but with the other resorts, best take out a small loan before going with the family.

Budawang Apr 10th 2013 6:48 pm

Ive skied in Europe and NA. Backcountry / cross country skiing is the way to go in Oz although I also do a day or two of downhill at Perisher or Thredbo each year. Make sure the conditions are good and you will have fun, but it is expensive and there's not a lot of advanced terrain. Best skiing I had was at Mt Hotham. I think Mawson is very basic and it wouldn't compare with any major resort.

twhurl Apr 11th 2013 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Budawang (Post 10652038)
Ive skied in Europe and NA. Backcountry / cross country skiing is the way to go in Oz although I also do a day or two of downhill at Perisher or Thredbo each year. Make sure the conditions are good and you will have fun, but it is expensive and there's not a lot of advanced terrain. Best skiing I had was at Mt Hotham. I think Mawson is very basic and it wouldn't compare with any major resort.

Yeah. It looks pretty basic but it will suit the kids. Best fun I had skiing in Canada was we found an old country ski hill with a t-bar tow one Sunday afternoon. Our biggest fear is that there wont be snow

NickyC Apr 12th 2013 3:36 am

Are you going to Tasmania anyway? If so, it will be probably be fine for a day or afternoon's fun in some snow. I've never been to Mt Mawson but it looks like it's a club ski area which means it's probably run by volunteers with minimal facilities and equipment.

If you were going to Tasmania just to ski there, I'd suggest there are better, more reliable places in other states. Mt Selwyn in NSW is a good ski area for families - particularly little kids - and not as expensive as the better-known resorts.

twhurl Apr 13th 2013 9:44 am

Originally Posted by NickyC (Post 10654672)
Are you going to Tasmania anyway? If so, it will be probably be fine for a day or afternoon's fun in some snow. I've never been to Mt Mawson but it looks like it's a club ski area which means it's probably run by volunteers with minimal facilities and equipment.

If you were going to Tasmania just to ski there, I'd suggest there are better, more reliable places in other states. Mt Selwyn in NSW is a good ski area for families - particularly little kids - and not as expensive as the better-known resorts.

Yes Ben Lomond looks more like it