Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anyone read "that" article in New Idea about Harry?

Anyone read "that" article in New Idea about Harry?

Old Feb 29th 2008, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

mungobrush is just really nicemungobrush is just really nicemungobrush is just really nicemungobrush is just really nicemungobrush is just really nicemungobrush is just really nicemungobrush is just really nicemungobrush is just really nicemungobrush is just really nicemungobrush is just really nicemungobrush is just really nice
Default Anyone read "that" article in New Idea about Harry?

I had a look on their web site and found this link - but the article seems to have been removed!

Doesn't seem like the kind of magazine to leak sensitive military secrets!

Prince Harry Goes to War in Afghanistan
Prince Harry has joined his regiment on a covert … story in this week's New Idea Do you think that Prince Harry should be allowed to go to war …
New Idea - Celebrity pictures - 14/02/2008
Old Feb 29th 2008, 10:19 pm
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone read "that" article in New Idea about Harry?

Originally Posted by mungobrush
I had a look on their web site and found this link - but the article seems to have been removed!

Doesn't seem like the kind of magazine to leak sensitive military secrets!

Prince Harry Goes to War in Afghanistan
Prince Harry has joined his regiment on a covert … story in this week's New Idea Do you think that Prince Harry should be allowed to go to war …
New Idea - Celebrity pictures - 14/02/2008
I for one am proud of him for going rather than being a pin up toy soldier as you'd excpect. but I fully understand why they have to pull him out now it's been leaked that he's there.
I think it really shows a human face to the royals
Old Feb 29th 2008, 10:29 pm
NO, we're GOING there....

gorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nice

Originally Posted by paul30
I for one am proud of him for going rather than being a pin up toy soldier as you'd excpect. but I fully understand why they have to pull him out now it's been leaked that he's there.
Agreed
Old Feb 29th 2008, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul30
Well said

They are pulling him out with good reason as you said, it puts his entire troop at major risk, nothing to do with him personally which a lot of the press will no doubt try and emphasise (ie they will put the emphasis on it being his personal safety rather than the battaliion he is attached to).

Personally I'm disgusted with the media for leaking it because of the risk it puts the guys under and fair bloody play to him for being so determined to not just be a toy soldier. He has earned my respect (and I'm sure that will mean everything to him ) for not accepting the easy option of "you can't be posted because of the risk" and being determined to be allowed to be a soldier.

Most people have no idea (and should honestly be thankful that they have no idea) of just how rough, grim, and thoroughly horrendous it is out in Afghanistan and Iraq.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

Evidently Harry is not happy about returning to Windsor Castle and England in particular.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...e_id=1770&ct=5
Old Feb 29th 2008, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunbather
Evidently Harry is not happy about returning to Windsor Castle and England in particular.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...e_id=1770&ct=5
When he can't even do his job do you blame him?
Old Feb 29th 2008, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's disgusting the media leaked this information. I loved the comment by New Idea about how they didnt know they werent supposed to leak it - muppets.

Good on him for doing it and hope he gets to serve again somewhere (this time kept a complete secret) if it's what he wants to do
Old Mar 1st 2008, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bridie
I think it's disgusting the media leaked this information. I loved the comment by New Idea about how they didnt know they werent supposed to leak it - muppets.

Good on him for doing it and hope he gets to serve again somewhere (this time kept a complete secret) if it's what he wants to do
Yeah, common sense obviously didn't come into it!
Old Mar 1st 2008, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

I too think it's disgusting that New Idea leaked this, but then I haven't bought any trashy mags since Princess Diana died as I was equally disgusted with the paparazzi at the time, so their behaviour doesn't surprise me.
What I did think was funny though was that it took another publication in Germany to publish the story before anyone took any notice as no-one believed the story when it was in New Idea. The story first came out in New Idea in Jan/Feb!
Old Mar 1st 2008, 11:01 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Anyone read "that" article in New Idea about Harry?

While they must surely have been aware of the embargo, New Idea was not actually issued with a blackout request, and was under no obligation to follow the British media in their acquiescence to the MoD gag.

Even if they had received such a request, they would not have been legally required to accept it.

It's a shame that Harry has been brought home, but I don't believe that he and his colleagues would have been in any more danger as a result of this revelation. They were already being shot at, after all.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
While they must surely have been aware of the embargo, New Idea was not actually issued with a blackout request, and was under no obligation to follow the British media in their acquiescence to the MoD gag.

Even if they had received such a request, they would not have been legally required to accept it.

It's a shame that Harry has been brought home, but I don't believe that he and his colleagues would have been in any more danger as a result of this revelation. They were already being shot at, after all.
They may not have bee legally bound to comply with the request, but IMO they were morally bound and as usual they chose to try and sell a few more mags for more $ rather than consider the implications.
Having Harry as a target would inevetably make his troop more attractive as targets - what a coop that would have been for the Taliban.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 10:09 pm

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

Jus wonderin...do you reckon the Taliban have a subscription to new idea magazine?
Old Mar 1st 2008, 10:21 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

There was no blackout request. This had been planned.

Harry was sent to fight with his troops as he had no choice. To not do so makes a mockery of his career. Harry also wanted to go. The Royal family & those in charge did not. What could they do without losing face?...

The Royal family & their entourage could hardly stop Harry going whilst at the same time condoning that regular soldiers go to war. They sent him to war for a token gesture of time and then got the press to leak the story. This meant it was taken out of their hands and they got the right result. Harry's back home & he's non the wiser...and nor are we...alledgedly

Ohhh.....and the mag that leaked the story...nope...they don't get into trouble either. No damages as they've done nothing wrong.
Simple strategy really innit

The MOD / MI5 are such clever chappies

Last edited by sonlymewalter; Mar 1st 2008 at 10:27 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by >Trigger<
Jus wonderin...do you reckon the Taliban have a subscription to new idea magazine?
lol
but it's not about the Taliban reading it, once it's out there and we're reading it, news will travel like wildfire.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
There was no blackout request. This had been planned.

Harry was sent to fight with his troops as he had no choice. To not do so makes a mockery of his career. Harry also wanted to go. The Royal family & those in charge did not. What could they do without losing face?...

The Royal family & their entourage could hardly stop Harry going whilst at the same time condoning that regular soldiers go to war. They sent him to war for a token gesture of time and then got the press to leak the story. This meant it was taken out of their hands and they got the right result. Harry's back home & he's non the wiser...and nor are we...alledgedly

Ohhh.....and the mag that leaked the story...nope...they don't get into trouble either. No damages as they've done nothing wrong.
Simple strategy really innit

The MOD / MI5 are such clever chappies
You make an excellent point/theory but I don't subscribe to it. Whatever the Royal families reasons for allowing Harry to go, I believe there was an embargo and probably a deal to give the media some "payback" to do exclusive stories once he was home.
However, I doubt any us will ever know the real story.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.