Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

anyone nursing in cairns?

anyone nursing in cairns?

Old Oct 8th 2008, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

simon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant future
Question anyone nursing in cairns?

Awaiting visa to work at Cairns Base Hospital, whats it like?
Old Oct 12th 2008, 2:37 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: anyone nursing in cairns?

Originally Posted by simon2cairns
Looked fine from the outside, haven't been inside.

Cairns would however be my second choice of a place to live in QLD, especially if you dive.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Big building by the sea, fringed with palm trees

WW
Old Oct 12th 2008, 6:57 am
Just Joined

tiernan will become famous soon enough

Don't want to be negative but apart from the views it is same s@:t different hospital. I have been here since Feb and so far not that impressed, came out as a new grad and feel like i have been dumped in at the deep end, this is just one area of a large hospital though so can't comment on other departments. On the plus side, absolutely love living in cairns and would never go back to UK.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 7:05 am
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tiernan
Don't want to be negative but apart from the views it is same s@:t different hospital. I have been here since Feb and so far not that impressed, came out as a new grad and feel like i have been dumped in at the deep end, this is just one area of a large hospital though so can't comment on other departments. On the plus side, absolutely love living in cairns and would never go back to UK.
I came as a new grad last year and have no complaints, I like my job and the people I work with. Guess a lot depends on the area you end up working in.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 7:39 am

Can you transfer to another ward within the hospital?

It's like emigrating the first place doesn't suit everyone.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

simon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant future

to be honest have a stressful job here in the UK in the community so dont realy mind the pay cut will hurt a bit but looking forward to the change!!!! just waiting for the visa!!!
Old Oct 12th 2008, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wannabauzzienurse
I came as a new grad last year and have no complaints, I like my job and the people I work with. Guess a lot depends on the area you end up working in.
so where should i avoid working???
Old Oct 12th 2008, 12:45 pm
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

so where should i avoid working???
Wherever tiernan is working by the sound of it!!! I work in theatres and like it, I know people in ICU, surgical ward, NICU, paediatric and they like it.....being in theatres we're a bit detached from the rest of the hospital so can't really comment on what it is like....I did meet someone who had started work in ED and seemed to be struggling a bit.
It's a public hospital and has all the challenges that public hospitals the world over suffer from but I think you will find, although the australian nurses will complain about staff numbers, that staff levels are better than in the NHS. Just come with an open mind and you'll be fine.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wannabauzzienurse
Wherever tiernan is working by the sound of it!!! I work in theatres and like it, I know people in ICU, surgical ward, NICU, paediatric and they like it.....being in theatres we're a bit detached from the rest of the hospital so can't really comment on what it is like....I did meet someone who had started work in ED and seemed to be struggling a bit.
It's a public hospital and has all the challenges that public hospitals the world over suffer from but I think you will find, although the australian nurses will complain about staff numbers, that staff levels are better than in the NHS. Just come with an open mind and you'll be fine.
to be honest just looking forward to not having to do stratigic bloody thinking all the time and writting policies!!! and having living in the sun! planning to work at the dolls house in the end or family planning
Old Oct 14th 2008, 11:09 pm
Just Joined

tiernan will become famous soon enough

Sorry I had a bad shift before my last post. I work on surgical, i do enjoy it and the nurses are great but i dont feel very supported, i was told there is a grad programme which doesn't actually exist, they dont take into account any gaps between UK and Oz nurse training. I didnt want to come across negative about the hospital but it does have its problems the same as any other. I do plan to move on after my grad year is up.

Last edited by tiernan; Oct 14th 2008 at 11:11 pm. Reason: wanted to add
Old Oct 15th 2008, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

Sorry I had a bad shift before my last post. I work on surgical, i do enjoy it and the nurses are great but i dont feel very supported, i was told there is a grad programme which doesn't actually exist, they dont take into account any gaps between UK and Oz nurse training. I didnt want to come across negative about the hospital but it does have its problems the same as any other. I do plan to move on after my grad year is up.
thats fine good and bad days!!!!
Old Oct 15th 2008, 8:31 am

to be honest have a stressful job here in the UK in the community so dont realy mind the pay cut will hurt a bit but looking forward to the change!!!! just waiting for the visa!!!
Community here a lot more chilled than the UK.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by annqldau
Very woried about visa at present!!! main concern but is community based from cairns base???
Old Oct 15th 2008, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by annqldau
is community based from cairns base???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.