Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anyone musical out there?

Anyone musical out there?

Old Feb 1st 2016, 7:51 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone musical out there?

Kind of a spin-off from Ozzieeagle's spare time thread, and one in Canada about music.....

i come from a musical family so got shoe-horned into playing various instruments as soon as i could reach the piano keys with varying degrees of success.
Loathed the piano, loathed the violin nearly as much, to the despair of my mother who taught both ( and indeed still has some students though she is 80!).
Loved the recorder and wanted to do flute or clarinet but was told my tendency to bronchitus meant I couldn't.......
When I went to secondary school my Dad said I had to learn an instrument at school so have ruled out wind instruments I said 'guitar' -which led to several nights of parental ranting about how he wasn't going to have me turning into some kind of hippy dropout with drug taking mates (this being 1975 ). Guitar was banned, forthwith.

So I thought I could call their bluff by choosing the cello -expensive, large, unweildy.... no, they bought me one AND made me take it one the school but every week for 4 years

I actually quite enjoyed it, played in the school orchestra for a while, cello is a lovely instrument to listen to, almost wish i still had it.

So who else learnt to play something - or is learning now? Any other stories?
Old Feb 1st 2016, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Wherever I drive to after work each evening I guess
Toe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone musical out there?

I play the fool regularly and my wife says I am accomplished at it too!
Old Feb 1st 2016, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Kind of a spin-off from Ozzieeagle's spare time thread, and one in Canada about music.....

i come from a musical family so got shoe-horned into playing various instruments as soon as i could reach the piano keys with varying degrees of success.
Loathed the piano, loathed the violin nearly as much, to the despair of my mother who taught both ( and indeed still has some students though she is 80!).
Loved the recorder and wanted to do flute or clarinet but was told my tendency to bronchitus meant I couldn't.......
When I went to secondary school my Dad said I had to learn an instrument at school so have ruled out wind instruments I said 'guitar' -which led to several nights of parental ranting about how he wasn't going to have me turning into some kind of hippy dropout with drug taking mates (this being 1975 ). Guitar was banned, forthwith.

So I thought I could call their bluff by choosing the cello -expensive, large, unweildy.... no, they bought me one AND made me take it one the school but every week for 4 years

I actually quite enjoyed it, played in the school orchestra for a while, cello is a lovely instrument to listen to, almost wish i still had it.

So who else learnt to play something - or is learning now? Any other stories?
Cello and violin, beautiful.

Check out the band Clean Bandit, a mix of Electronic and Classical music. Grace Chatto on Cello and Neil Amin Smith on violin. Ridiculously good looking too.

Son plays drums and his spell in state school they allocated instruments after you tried out for music, he got the trombone not cool.

Me, well there was three blind mice on the recorder..
Old Feb 1st 2016, 8:55 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toe Dipper
I play the fool regularly and my wife says I am accomplished at it too!
Old Feb 1st 2016, 8:56 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Cello and violin, beautiful.

Check out the band Clean Bandit, a mix of Electronic and Classical music. Grace Chatto on Cello and Neil Amin Smith on violin. Ridiculously good looking too.

Son plays drums and his spell in state school they allocated instruments after you tried out for music, he got the trombone not cool.

Me, well there was three blind mice on the recorder..
My cello was never amazing, just average, but streets ahead of my violin

I'll look out for Clean Bandit There's a group called Apocalyptica who make good use of the cello too

Had a boyfriend years ago who was an ace on the drums. he played in a band called Hammer, back in Sussex in the 1980s. AC/DC type of rock, but he also did session stuff, some of it with well-known bands like Sky.
Old Feb 1st 2016, 9:18 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Played all 4 tpyes of recorder at primary school. At grammar school I wanted to play the saxophone, but my dad said it was too sexual, so I played the clarinet. Dad wanted to hear me play Stranger on the Shore. I was able to play it after about 6 months

Still love saxophone music and would love to take it up, if I ever had the time/money.

I was all set to get an A in Music for my GCSE and my music teacher wanted to me do my music grades, but as it involved spending money, my dad said no. So, I decided against doing music for my GCSE, much to the angst of my music teacher, who was also the band/choir conductor both of which I was in. He refused to speak to me for the last 2 years of school, which made band practice and choir practice very interesting especially as I was lead clarinet and lead soprano
Old Feb 1st 2016, 10:02 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by rasen78
Played all 4 tpyes of recorder at primary school. At grammar school I wanted to play the saxophone, but my dad said it was too sexual, so I played the clarinet. Dad wanted to hear me play Stranger on the Shore. I was able to play it after about 6 months

Still love saxophone music and would love to take it up, if I ever had the time/money.

I was all set to get an A in Music for my GCSE and my music teacher wanted to me do my music grades, but as it involved spending money, my dad said no. So, I decided against doing music for my GCSE, much to the angst of my music teacher, who was also the band/choir conductor both of which I was in. He refused to speak to me for the last 2 years of school, which made band practice and choir practice very interesting especially as I was lead clarinet and lead soprano
Yeah i bet that made for some interesting practices!

I love the saxophone, listening to it sends shivers down my spine

i never reached the heights of grade 5 that they wanted for O Level music, but I did get a Grade 1 CSE (equivalent to an O level pass).

Bet your Dad was dead pleased when you managed Stranger on the Shore!
Old Feb 1st 2016, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

SoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond repute

Our back door neighbours children play the piano and cello and they're a pain in the arse.

Oh, I can play the flute, the didgeridoo and I occasionally massacre Cripple Creek on the 5-string bluegrass banjo.

Last edited by SoCalDon; Feb 1st 2016 at 10:06 am. Reason: Just saw the thread title
Old Feb 1st 2016, 10:05 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by SoCalDon
Our back door neighbours children play the piano and cello and they're a pain in the arse.

At least in my dreadful playing days we lived in a huge victorian vicarge with no neighbours
Old Feb 1st 2016, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Not very musical but I do sing with quite a large orchestra from time to time...keeps me off the streets...and I enjoy it.
Old Feb 1st 2016, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Play guitar. Currently have a 2006 PRS Hollowbody Artist and a Taylor 414 (non cutaway, non CE)
Old Feb 1st 2016, 7:58 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Learned the trumpet and recorder at primary school. My first attempt on the trumpet elicited a noise which was compared to 'the phantom raspberry blower of Old London Town'.

Really, really wanted an acoustic guitar and my parents bought one for Christmas when I was about 9 - my best friend (who lived next door) also received one and we had lessons together for a couple of years. I can still play a bit if pushed

At secondary school, I also dabbled in the clarinet, flute and keyboard but mostly played in a recorder group. I did Music O-level as an extra subject and you received extra credit if you obtained a grade 6 playing an instrument (or singing). I got up to a grade 5 in the recorder and then couldn't be bothered giving up my lunchtimes any more (I really know where my middle child gets it from)
Old Feb 1st 2016, 8:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

At school I learned the drums, guitar, piano, and sax and even built a little recording studio out of some microphones, cables and my parents stereo. I must of had grand visions of doing a Dave Grohl solo album.

These days its just the guitar which sits in the corner and gets a little run every now and again. I don't think I've picked up a sax in 20 years.
Old Feb 1st 2016, 9:17 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I've been playing guitar for over 20 years (with breaks ). Been through too many to list but currently settled on a Fender Strat and a Gordon Smith running through a Fender Mustang foot pedal into a Crate amp. The same two guitars I shipped to Oz in fact.

I also plonk away at the keyboard, we have just acquired a digital piano mainly for my daughter but I'm not averse to making all kinds of unholy noise with technology.

The PC runs a decent sound card and FL Studio which I've owned from the very early days, free lifetime upgrades.

My interests in music making date way back, Atari ST. anyone?
Old Feb 1st 2016, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

I used to sing in musicals and choirs and concert groups. Learned the violin in secondary school and got to grade3 by the age of 13, but gave it up as I hated the violin teacher who would hit you over the knuckles if you bowed incorrectly. My mother thinks she can play the violin, but her attempts at On Wings of Song sends all the neighbourhood cats into a frenzy as it is all played squeakily on the top string.

My mother's side of the family, however, has a lot of professional musicians, mainly strings/piano, and my daughter plays cello, piano and sings. She also composes in both English and Japanese, and loves doing rap. (not sure how musical that last one is!!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.