Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anyone missing London ?

Anyone missing London ?

Old Feb 17th 2007, 1:10 pm
Banned

chilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to all
Default Re: Anyone missing London ?

london is buzzing
has more history than all those you mentioned put together
shops as good as anywhere...
over rated... i dont think so..
Old Feb 17th 2007, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chilli
london is buzzing
Londons population also enjoys the highest wages of any region in the world.

If you are lucky enough to have a good job and own your own property, You probably cannot do better anywhere financially.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 3:46 pm
rjs
Forum Regular

rjs has a brilliant futurerjs has a brilliant futurerjs has a brilliant futurerjs has a brilliant futurerjs has a brilliant futurerjs has a brilliant future

We are getting ready to leave London at the moment ,everything you have said is true ,its a great city ,in my teens & twenties i had an amazing time here ,& in the summer there is tonnes to do with the kids,expensive & free,but people dont always speak to each other & it is busy ,there are positives & negatives with everything ,but you only get one life & its great to have the oppurtunity (sorry bad spelling)we have to live somewhere else & experience a new life ,i have my memories & am really looking forward to making new ones .Good luck to everybody making the move
robs & matt
Old Feb 19th 2007, 2:46 am
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

I miss London somewhat, and seeing that lovely rainy photo makes me want to burrow into a coat and scarf and sit damp in a pub somewhere, which reeks of old beer, enjoying a pint & a ciggie!

Of course, I am in Australia now, where at the moment it is blue and sunny, the pubs still reek of old beer but you have to sit outside if you want a ciggie, but then again, I quit when I arrived....so that joy has gone too!

Seriously though....I missed Perth when I was in London and London when I am in Perth Oh to be in Ealing again!
Old Feb 19th 2007, 6:42 am
Banned

Dom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud of

How in God's name could anybody miss that over priced, over crowded, polluted, chaotic sh!t hole?
Old Feb 19th 2007, 7:06 am
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dom the Pom
How in God's name could anybody miss that over priced, over crowded, polluted, chaotic sh!t hole?
It may be an over priced, over crowded, polluted, chaotic sh!t hole to you but it was my home for 7 years! As with every city, there was good and bad things about it but to many of us, it was home.

Old Feb 19th 2007, 9:01 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

My five year old son misses it. He has a scrapbook full of stuff collected on a few trips up to the smoke over the course of a couple of years. We've had to promise to take him up for a few days when we visit the UK either this year or next, depending on finances.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 9:46 am
Banned

Dom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ElshaUK
it was my home for 7 years! As with every city, there was good and bad things about it but to many of us, it was home.
....and it was mine for nearly as long.

Whilst it's nice to take the kids to see Buck Palace once a year, and watch the Mighty Arsenal Association Football Club, it's a great feeling to escape from the wretched place.

If you lived in the Artic for 7 years it would be home. But you'd hardly miss it solely for that reason.

p.s. and if the sun came out for more than four months of the year, it would have something.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 10:57 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Born and bred! ... and after being away from it for almost 11 months now, I have to be honest and say I miss it very little.

I drove a cab round London for the last 10 years and worked pretty much all of them from late night into the early hours. I see a side to London that I don't think many will / do see, and to be honest I'm just happy to be away.

Ok, I spent 36 years there so I DO have fond memories, but for me and my family it was another life.

We DO all plan to return at some stage to visit friends, but not to visit London I'm afraid.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

I visit London regularly, and it is great to visit and be around so many people where there are so many restaurants/pubs/bars/clubs and museums/galleries and shops/markets etc etc etc..... But boy is it nice to get home to the West Country and wash all the muck off! Back to a place where people say hello to each other and it is easy to cross the road and you can be out in the middle of nowhere within half an hours walk or 5 min in the car... and where I can afford to live off my wages rather than off continuous credit.
Great to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there unless I won the lottery... and even then I can think of other places I'd prefer to be!
Old Feb 19th 2007, 11:37 am
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Elvira
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
...Bus pass £3, most museums + art galleries = free, Proms = £4, standing tickets at the opera = £8, National Theatre Travelex tickets = £10, best parks in the world = free, beautiful buildings to look at everywhere = free.

Nooooooo, but there is still so much more to do with kids in London than in most places I've been too (and I have travelled far...) The big expenditure things - Tower, Madame Tussauds etc - are places one tends to visit once in a decade (if that!). But - nowadays at least - the museums and galleries are always free.

I remember taking my kids, when they were just 4 or 5, to the Natural History, Science, Imperial War, London etc Museums. We would go to one or the other almost every weekend, and they loved it. (This was in the days of the Conservatives , so we had to buy a yearly pass and/or go after 5 pm on a Sunday...)

At a very early age we started taking them to the National Art Gallery and the Tate, and they they loved that too. I remember my twins, aged maybe 5 or 6, looking spellbound at Van Gogh's Sunflowers and Stubb's Horse. They also liked the early Renaissance paintings - because of all the gold

And then there were all those wonderful walks in Richmond Park, feeding the ducks in Green Park, and so on. Or watching the jugglers and fire-eaters in Covent Garden. We never seemed to get bored, and I can't remember spending a lot of money on their entertainment.

Oh, and they still haven't been to Madam Tussaud's!
I would never, ever bring a child up in London. Great pace to visit though, awesome museums.

I thought Madame Tassauds was extremely overated for 24 pounds.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 1:01 pm
Banned

chilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to all

hard to compare london and a beach life as both have their attractions.
i come from london but only visit it now like a tourist..

ive seen really bad sides to it too, they are undeniable.
its good to visit but not so good to live in unless your loaded and can take full advantage..
Old Feb 19th 2007, 10:32 pm
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chilli
london is buzzing

London falls very short, culture wise, to places like Paris & Rome.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 11:25 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MD09
London in general is ok for a w/end visit. Although it's over-rated compared to international cities such as Paris, New York and Sydney.
London pisses all over Sydney as a city.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 11:43 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by MD09
London falls very short, culture wise, to places like Paris & Rome.
possibly m8

i dont do much culture meself
i like paris and rome and lisbon too..
just that london has a lot to offer too..just different..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.