Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anyone know a good proxy?

Anyone know a good proxy?

Old Mar 19th 2006, 6:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone know a good proxy?

Anyone know a good UK proxy for giving the impression to websites you are still in the UK, when actually you are in Oz.

Not that I'd ever use it to listen to Radio Five live football coverage or formula 1 or anything Just curious, the one I'm using at the moment keeps dropping bandwidth,

Cheers,
JTL

Last edited by JackTheLad; Mar 19th 2006 at 7:01 am.
Old Mar 19th 2006, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

lostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Anyone know a good proxy?

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Anyone know a good UK proxy for giving the impression to websites you are still in the UK, when actually you are in Oz.

Not that I'd ever use it to listen to Radio Five live football coverage or formula 1 or anything Just curious, the one I'm using at the moment keeps dropping bandwidth,

Cheers,
JTL
Do you really get blocked for these feeds if you're not in UK ?
Old Mar 19th 2006, 9:00 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers,
JTL
Try these:

84.18.197.26 8080
82.211.102.138 8080
213.105.176.8 80
213.105.176.5 80
80.229.80.132 80
213.105.176.6 80

Old Mar 19th 2006, 12:22 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Try these:

84.18.197.26 8080
82.211.102.138 8080
213.105.176.8 80
213.105.176.5 80
80.229.80.132 80
213.105.176.6 80

How does that work then?
Old Mar 19th 2006, 6:42 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
How does that work then?
Web proxies are a way of fooling the servers on which web-sites reside into thinking you're somewhere you aren't. It goes like this - when you connect to the Internet you get assigned an IP address, a unique four part locator, which can be used by servers to track you (amongst many other things). IP addresses can be tracked back to check the country of origin and they're used by some companies to restrict the information they make available on the web to people form specific geographic locations. In the case of this thread, the BBC won't let you view much of its streaming video and audio content unless your IP address shows you as being located in the UK. So the solution is to use a proxy - a kind of virtual stepping stone between you and the server in question so that when you connect, it thinks your somewhere you aren't. You can use the IP addresses I've listed above to fool the beeb into thinking you're in the UK by entering them in you browser's settings window as a proxy.
Old Mar 19th 2006, 7:17 pm
Tiny Member

tucs is on a distinguished road

Web proxies are a way of fooling the servers on which web-sites reside into thinking you're somewhere you aren't. It goes like this - when you connect to the Internet you get assigned an IP address, a unique four part locator, which can be used by servers to track you (amongst many other things). IP addresses can be tracked back to check the country of origin and they're used by some companies to restrict the information they make available on the web to people form specific geographic locations. In the case of this thread, the BBC won't let you view much of its streaming video and audio content unless your IP address shows you as being located in the UK. So the solution is to use a proxy - a kind of virtual stepping stone between you and the server in question so that when you connect, it thinks your somewhere you aren't. You can use the IP addresses I've listed above to fool the beeb into thinking you're in the UK by entering them in you browser's settings window as a proxy.

fair play to you, very well explained. thanks
Old Mar 19th 2006, 9:31 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tucs
fair play to you, very well explained. thanks
I still don't understand - where would you put your proxy and how
Old Mar 19th 2006, 10:50 pm
Australia's Doorman

If you're using Firefox (I'm not going to encourage the use of Internet Explorer since it's the spawn of satan's rectal under-carriage ), then go to Tools > Options > General > Connection Settings > Manual Proxy Configuration and enter one of the IP addresses I listed above in the HTTP Proxy box.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 12:26 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

(I'm not going to encourage the use of Internet Explorer since it's the spawn of satan's rectal under-carriage ), .
Thanks for that Hutch. Just spat water all over my keyboard
Old Mar 20th 2006, 3:38 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I should have explained myself a bit better. I understand the principle - just wondering how you do it in practice.

Given that I am a devil-worshipper (IE6) how do I do it?

One other concern - I have registered with Cricket Australia for Ashes tickets - I don't want THEM to think I am in the UK too or they might not let me have any tickets. So it needs to be an option to switch as needed.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 7:48 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

If you're using Firefox (I'm not going to encourage the use of Internet Explorer since it's the spawn of satan's rectal under-carriage ), then go to Tools > Options > General > Connection Settings > Manual Proxy Configuration and enter one of the IP addresses I listed above in the HTTP Proxy box.
I'm afraid that I am using the spawn of satans rectal under carriage and I really don't understand what the difference is. Only use a pc for home
Old Mar 20th 2006, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I should have explained myself a bit better. I understand the principle - just wondering how you do it in practice.

Given that I am a devil-worshipper (IE6) how do I do it?

One other concern - I have registered with Cricket Australia for Ashes tickets - I don't want THEM to think I am in the UK too or they might not let me have any tickets. So it needs to be an option to switch as needed.
Its easy for devil worshippers, there is a toggle switch on whether to use a proxy or not. Go to, tools->internet options, click on the connections tab, and then click on the 'Lan Settings' button. Then there is a proxy server area with a toggle button, fill in the details of your proxy, and then click the togglet on when you want 'em to believe you are in the UK or off when you are in Oz.

Alternatively, I have IE6, Firefox and Opera on this machine each configured with different proxies, I'm all over the place as far as these smart arsed websites are concerned. I'm Austin Powers, international man of mystery... (ort a sad geek with three browsers on his machine )

JTL
Old Mar 20th 2006, 9:08 am
A former regular of BE

Nearly there guys. I have some IP addresses above to use but what do I put in the "port" box?
Old Mar 20th 2006, 9:09 am
Australia's Doorman

Its easy for devil worshippers, there is a toggle switch on whether to use a proxy or not. Go to, tools->internet options, click on the connections tab, and then click on the 'Lan Settings' button. Then there is a proxy server area with a toggle button, fill in the details of your proxy, and then click the togglet on when you want 'em to believe you are in the UK or off when you are in Oz.

Alternatively, I have IE6, Firefox and Opera on this machine each configured with different proxies, I'm all over the place as far as these smart arsed websites are concerned. I'm Austin Powers, international man of mystery... (ort a sad geek with three browsers on his machine )

JTL
You and me both mate.

Regarding the Internet Explorer thing, Sme. The deal is this - Windows users use Internet Explorer because it's what comes with the machine, which is fair enough. The problem is that it's a great big sucking vacuum cleaner for nastiness and, if you're not patched up to the eyeballs, will sucumb to spyware or malware and festoon your display with pop-up adverts for knobs-lotions and Russian brides. Firefox is a free web browser which is superior in every possible way to Internet Explorer and will even import your bookmarks for you if you install it. It will keep you safe from nasty stuff online, block popups without needing an add-on toolbar and will run far more quickly and reliably than IE. That said, I hope that lots of people carry on using it, because I make a nice little side-living out of fixing computers shagged up by IE.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 9:10 am
Australia's Doorman

Nearly there guys. I have some IP addresses above to use but what do I put in the "port" box?
Either 80, or 8080, as per the bit at the end of the IP address above.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.