Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anyone Heard of Mersyndol?

Anyone Heard of Mersyndol?

Old Apr 25th 2007, 3:30 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Heard of Mersyndol?

Originally Posted by carmil
I have a doctors letter that I had done last year for going to USA listing all the drugs I have to take and why, so perhaps I should get a new one done and ask if doctor can list Syndol on it as well. Don't know how that would work as it's not actually a prescription drug. Unless doctor can prescribe it which would be more expensive but I buy a yearly pre-paid certificate for my medication anyway because I have to take so many different things. Think I'll make an appointment with my GP, see what she says.
Thanks for your help White Leopard and Shiels
Hey no problem, anytime..........C x
This is the thread where its mentioned about the dubai incident.............. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=427832

Originally Posted by herrchook
I tried taking Syndol when I was a student and getting bad migraines. Everytime I took one, it knocked me out - who needs sleeping pills?lol
They knock me out too, thats why i only take one at a time unless, the migraine is really bad and im at home and able to go to bed then i take two!!!

After a migraine i always wish i could take my brain out and give it a wash to help me feel better!!!! C x

Last edited by shiels; Apr 25th 2007 at 3:32 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 5:30 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by White Leopard
Can you seriously imagine in London, going to your GP for a migraine? I would be laughed out of the surgery and told to sod off to a chemist to get something.
Get yourself another GP! Seriously! There are numerous migraine medications on the market for which you need a prescription, i.e. you need a GP to take it seriously. They *do* exist - I have one.

Gina
Old Apr 25th 2007, 5:32 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

I have a doctors letter that I had done last year for going to USA listing all the drugs I have to take and why, so perhaps I should get a new one done and ask if doctor can list Syndol on it as well.
A "doctor's letter" will not help you if you want a stop-over in Dubai or Singapore. You actually need an import permit for any medicines containing codeine!

Gina
Old Apr 25th 2007, 5:35 pm
Banned

Here is one of the stories of the woman who spent 8 weeks in a Dubai jail (chained to a wall because they reckoned she was a problem prisoner) for having arrived with prescritpion medicine containing codeine.- Although her GP at home faxed a letter confirming he'd prescribed her the medication - it made no difference:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/s...es/4481621.stm

Gina
Old Apr 25th 2007, 5:37 pm
Banned

Here is one of the stories of the woman who spent 8 weeks in a Dubai jail (chained to a wall because they reckoned she was a problem prisoner) for having arrived with prescritpion medicine containing codeine.- Although her GP at home faxed a letter confirming he'd prescribed her the medication - it made no difference:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4526759.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/s...es/4481621.stm

Gina
Old Apr 25th 2007, 5:39 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Get yourself another GP! Seriously! There are numerous migraine medications on the market for which you need a prescription, i.e. you need a GP to take it seriously. They *do* exist - I have one.

Gina
Im not a frequent migraine sufferer but if I went to my GP when I did get one, I would seriously be laughed out of the surgery.

The other week when I had a chest infection, I was refused an appointment, given a telephone consultation to be told 'there is a nasty pollen about and you dont sound like you have a chest infection to me'

Prescribing me antibiotics and telling me 'not to take them unless absolutely necessary' I ignored his advice and took them as I know what a chest infection feels like.

I would love dearly to change my GP but there are only 3 in our catchment area that I am allowed to register with.

One is his bezzy mate and is no better according to what other people have told me and the other two have a strict appointment system where you can wait weeks for an appointment.

My blood test is next week - that is 'urgent'. If I want it sooner, I have to pay as I have done in the past.

I am afraid where I live, good health care is thin on the ground and if I could find a GP who was better, I would have done it ages ago.

Its something we all accept round here as we have no choice, other than to move, but why should we?
Old Apr 25th 2007, 5:45 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by White Leopard
I would love dearly to change my GP but there are only 3 in our catchment area that I am allowed to register with.

I am afraid where I live, good health care is thin on the ground and if I could find a GP who was better, I would have done it ages ago
That's awful. Sorry to read this, White Leopard. I had some awful GPs in the past, but got lucky with my present one.

Well, if you move to Oz, you'll get to choose your GP (unless you live rural, I guess), as they don't have catchment areas.

Gina
Old Apr 25th 2007, 6:00 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
That's awful. Sorry to read this, White Leopard. I had some awful GPs in the past, but got lucky with my present one.

Well, if you move to Oz, you'll get to choose your GP (unless you live rural, I guess), as they don't have catchment areas.

Gina
My husband hates him.

When he had flu last year and I mean serious flu, his temp was 39.9 degrees, I made him go to the doctor, he could barely walk so luckily doctors was 2 mins away.

He would only go in if I went in with him. My GP has a habit of drumming his fingers on the table - he does it all the time and he will always look at his watch.

Happens it was only 2 months or so since Mum had died (negligent GP a contributing factor) so I was in no mood to be fobbed off.

Seeing hubbys temperature, he diagnosed flu straight away and said if it doesnt come down, he will have to go into hospital.

But it was only due to the fact he knew about my Mum and our background that for once, he didnt look at his watch and fob us off.

You know when you have to go back for repeat prescriptions and sometimes you need a check up before them being prescribed?

Well I needed some more inhalers and as you cant book appointments, I had to call every day to try and see a doctor. 5 days later, no appointments and in the end I had to wait until the next week.

I just wish I could pay and get this blood test out of the way.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 7:42 pm
hairdresser, bristol X

emmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to behold

Hi there

Any of you tried Mersyndol? I suffer from migraines (no bl**dy wonder, 2 crazy kids and applying for a visa ) and after trying various prescription drugs which didn't work, finally found that Syndol (which can be bought over the counter in the UK) are great. Australian version of these is apparently called Mersyndol. Just wondered if anyone had tried these and if so, are they any good?

Don't want to be starting off my new life in Australia telling OH I have a headache at bedtime
have you every tried going to a chiropractor? May seem like a strange question but you would be surprised at what they can treat - i would def look into it - i was suffering from really bad head aches and my chiroprator done wonders for me.x
Old Apr 26th 2007, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

carmil will become famous soon enoughcarmil will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by emmalina
have you every tried going to a chiropractor? May seem like a strange question but you would be surprised at what they can treat - i would def look into it - i was suffering from really bad head aches and my chiroprator done wonders for me.x

Yes, have been to a chiropractor, and they, and the doctors reckon that my migraines are triggered by my main medical condition (as if migraine is not bad enough). Unfortunately, £700 later, the chiropractors couldn't help me. Followed this with osteopath, reike, accupuncture, ultrasound, reflexology and a variety of other treatments, all unsuccessful.

So glad that the chiropractor worked for you, and thank you for suggesting it, migraines are truly awful! My OH tells me if I was an animal they'd have put me out my misery by now

Think I will have to go back to my GP and see what they say about prescription medication. Apparently some of the better migraine medicines are not suitable for asthma sufferers, but will see what she says. Really do not want to be locked up in a foreign jail as a suspected drug dealer
Old Apr 26th 2007, 8:20 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

Any of you tried Mersyndol? I suffer from migraines (no bl**dy wonder, 2 crazy kids and applying for a visa ) and after trying various prescription drugs which didn't work, finally found that Syndol (which can be bought over the counter in the UK) are great. Australian version of these is apparently called Mersyndol. Just wondered if anyone had tried these and if so, are they any good?

Don't want to be starting off my new life in Australia telling OH I have a headache at bedtime
Hi Carmil, I take Mersyndol here and have no problems buying it over the counter at my local pharmacy. They even recommended the 'pharmacies own brand' as they were $9 cheaper. The night strength have a muscle relaxant in them called Doxylamine Succinate, that's the only difference and, the maximum you can buy is 20. The day strength you can purchase in a box of 48 which works out alot cheaper, especially if you have the pharmacies own brand.

PS. I also have Asthma and I haven't noticed that I am effected in any negative way by taking them.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Hi Carmil, I take Mersyndol here and have no problems buying it over the counter at my local pharmacy. They even recommended the 'pharmacies own brand' as they were $9 cheaper. The night strength have a muscle relaxant in them called Doxylamine Succinate, that's the only difference and, the maximum you can buy is 20. The day strength you can purchase in a box of 48 which works out alot cheaper, especially if you have the pharmacies own brand.

PS. I also have Asthma and I haven't noticed that I am effected in any negative way by taking them.

Thanks for that, sounds as if the night time strength of Mersyndol is the same as the Syndol we buy over here as they contain Doxylamine Succinate, although they only come in one strength over here so perhaps that's why a lot of people say they are too strong for them? Will be straight to the pharmacy for a box of Mersyndol when we arrive, and hope that I don't take a migraine in Dubaii
Old Apr 26th 2007, 8:45 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, sounds as if the night time strength of Mersyndol is the same as the Syndol we buy over here as they contain Doxylamine Succinate, although they only come in one strength over here so perhaps that's why a lot of people say they are too strong for them? Will be straight to the pharmacy for a box of Mersyndol when we arrive, and hope that I don't take a migraine in Dubaii
Can't you get daystrength in the UK? I thought you could. The 5.1mg of Doxylamine S is a muscle relaxant and also makes you sleep, but other than that, the paracetamol and codeine strengths are the same as the daytime tab's. I'd query whether you can at least take 2 tablets in your hand luggage with you when you transit through Dubai though.

Last edited by St.Georges Girl; Apr 26th 2007 at 8:48 am.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 1:26 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Mersyndol (both day & night strengths) is an over the counter medication, I'm not sure why anyone would be denied it unless they bought too much of it? Like St Georges Girl, I've never had a problem with getting it & you can easily get the cheaper brand of the Day strength ones (the only difference is that the day ones have no muscle relaxant Doxylamine succinate & the night ones do - thats the thing that makes you drowsy) to save some money.

There is also a prescription strength dose which is called Mersyndol Forte which has considerably more codiene in it than the standard form. It has Paracetamol 450mg* Codeine phosphate 30mg* Doxylamine succinate 5mg, now those ones you would get looked at funny if you asked for over the counter .
Old Apr 26th 2007, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

The syndol we can buy in the UK over the counter are 450mg Paracetamol,
10mg Codeine and 5mg Doxylamine Succinate, so sounds a bit like the night time strength Mersyndol.

Can't believe that of all the things to worry about moving to the other side of the world, that this is high on my priority list

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.