British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Anyone Heard of Mersyndol? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/anyone-heard-mersyndol-444690/)

carmil Apr 24th 2007 4:27 pm

Anyone Heard of Mersyndol?

Hi there

Any of you tried Mersyndol? I suffer from migraines (no bl**dy wonder, 2 crazy kids and applying for a visa ;) ) and after trying various prescription drugs which didn't work, finally found that Syndol (which can be bought over the counter in the UK) are great. Australian version of these is apparently called Mersyndol. Just wondered if anyone had tried these and if so, are they any good?

Don't want to be starting off my new life in Australia telling OH I have a headache at bedtime :lol: :rofl:

Cheetah7 Apr 24th 2007 6:00 pm

Re: Anyone Heard of Mersyndol?

Originally Posted by carmil (Post 4691144)
Hi there

Any of you tried Mersyndol? I suffer from migraines (no bl**dy wonder, 2 crazy kids and applying for a visa ;) ) and after trying various prescription drugs which didn't work, finally found that Syndol (which can be bought over the counter in the UK) are great. Australian version of these is apparently called Mersyndol. Just wondered if anyone had tried these and if so, are they any good?

Don't want to be starting off my new life in Australia telling OH I have a headache at bedtime :lol: :rofl:

Yes I have.

They have Day Strength and Night strength.

I had a bad migraine when I was in Oz, and the day strength tabs didnt touch it. When I went back and went for night strength, the pharmacist actually asked if I was on drugs and if I was 'that crook', I must go to the doctor to get my migraine checked out as 'Night Strength Mersyndol were extra strong stuff didnt I know?'

She wouldnt sell them to me and I had to go somewhere else. She was also horrified that we self medicate like this in the UK. I said my GP would be horrified if I went to him with a migraine (rarely get them though)

The Night strength are exactly the same as Syndol here. I cannot take anything stronger than this because of my asthma.

So when you do need to buy them in Australia, be prepared for a grilling.

:eek:

carmil Apr 24th 2007 6:32 pm

Thanks for that, good to know that I will be able to get something similar over there that actaully works. Likewise, also have asthma and there is so many medications that I can't take, but syndol really work for me. Hmm, just what you need when your brain feels like it's going to burst out of your head, to get a grilling at the pharmacy. :mad: Will go prepared. Thanks!!

Cheetah7 Apr 24th 2007 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by carmil (Post 4691791)
Thanks for that, good to know that I will be able to get something similar over there that actaully works. Likewise, also have asthma and there is so many medications that I can't take, but syndol really work for me. Hmm, just what you need when your brain feels like it's going to burst out of your head, to get a grilling at the pharmacy. :mad: Will go prepared. Thanks!!

I know, I felt like hitting my head against a wall.

She had a detailed discussion with the other pharmacist and they stared at me for a bit.

I wanted to cry my head hurt that much. Can you seriously imagine in London, going to your GP for a migraine? I would be laughed out of the surgery and told to sod off to a chemist to get something.

Syndol was the strongest thing I could take when I broke my leg. They prescribed tramadol and they are horrible.

asher Apr 24th 2007 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by White Leopard (Post 4692463)
I know, I felt like hitting my head against a wall.

She had a detailed discussion with the other pharmacist and they stared at me for a bit.

I wanted to cry my head hurt that much. Can you seriously imagine in London, going to your GP for a migraine? I would be laughed out of the surgery and told to sod off to a chemist to get something.

Syndol was the strongest thing I could take when I broke my leg. They prescribed tramadol and they are horrible.

Tramadol make me vomit like crazy!!:(

Cheetah7 Apr 24th 2007 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by asher (Post 4692500)
Tramadol make me vomit like crazy!!:(

They bring back memories.

When I broke my leg in Thailand, they gave them to me and I was hallucinating.

It was so funny, I told husband I could see a leopard on the mountains, convinced I was right.

Horrible drug and it really affected my asthma as well.

Syndol is the strongest I will go. I dont touch anti inflams either or asprin.

shiels Apr 24th 2007 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by carmil (Post 4691144)
Hi there

Hiya...
Im a migraine and asthma sufferer too!! I asked the question about 'Syndol' on the forum a while ago as they are the only tablets that help me too.

One reply told me about how codiene, which is in syndol tablets is banned in Dubai and i should consider this if i was thinking about a stopover there as a lady was once arrested and locked up for having it on her!! Scared the life out of me about going to Dubai let me tell you!! :ohmy:

C x

shiels Apr 24th 2007 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by White Leopard (Post 4691584)
Yes I have.

They have Day Strength and Night strength.

I had a bad migraine when I was in Oz, and the day strength tabs didnt touch it. When I went back and went for night strength, the pharmacist actually asked if I was on drugs and if I was 'that crook', I must go to the doctor to get my migraine checked out as 'Night Strength Mersyndol were extra strong stuff didnt I know?'

She wouldnt sell them to me and I had to go somewhere else. She was also horrified that we self medicate like this in the UK. I said my GP would be horrified if I went to him with a migraine (rarely get them though)

The Night strength are exactly the same as Syndol here. I cannot take anything stronger than this because of my asthma.
So when you do need to buy them in Australia, be prepared for a grilling.

:eek:

Can i ask how this affects your asthma? I thought it was just Ibuprofen/asprin that asthma sufferers need to be careful with. C x

Cheetah7 Apr 24th 2007 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by shiels (Post 4692722)
Can i ask how this affects your asthma? I thought it was just Ibuprofen/asprin that asthma sufferers need to be careful with. C x

When I took tramadol, I felt as though I couldnt breathe, as though my respiratory system was seriously depressed and it was a huge effort to even take a deep breath in.

Mersyndol are fine for me but Tramadol had serious effects on me, dropping my peak flow to below 200.

shiels Apr 24th 2007 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by White Leopard (Post 4692770)
When I took tramadol, I felt as though I couldnt breathe, as though my respiratory system was seriously depressed and it was a huge effort to even take a deep breath in.

Mersyndol are fine for me but Tramadol had serious effects on me, dropping my peak flow to below 200.

Cool i thought you meant affects of Syndol and was a little worried!!!

Maybe our migraines will get bit better when we get to Aus??? ;) C x

BTW like your profile!!! Direct and to the point!!!

Cheetah7 Apr 24th 2007 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by shiels (Post 4692788)
BTW like your profile!!! Direct and to the point!!!

Hopefully its a pervert deterrent.

Hold on, I think Im a pervert.:D

carmil Apr 25th 2007 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by White Leopard (Post 4692770)

I have to take high dosage of tramadol and strong muscle relaxants for a chronic medical condition, but they are no use for the migraines. Tramadol have very little effect on me at all, don't know whether it's years of using strong painkillers and I've built up a resistance to them. Obviously when I'm taking syndol, I'm not taking the other drugs :eek:

Got me worried about stopover in Dubaii, need to find out if it will be a problem travelling with any of the above drugs in my hand luggage. I don't go anywhere without supplies of all my medication. Don't fancy getting detained in a foreign airport :ohmy:

Cheetah7 Apr 25th 2007 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by carmil (Post 4695009)
I have to take high dosage of tramadol and strong muscle relaxants for a chronic medical condition, but they are no use for the migraines. Tramadol have very little effect on me at all, don't know whether it's years of using strong painkillers and I've built up a resistance to them. Obviously when I'm taking syndol, I'm not taking the other drugs :eek:

Got me worried about stopover in Dubaii, need to find out if it will be a problem travelling with any of the above drugs in my hand luggage. I don't go anywhere without supplies of all my medication. Don't fancy getting detained in a foreign airport :ohmy:

Codein is illegal in many countries and I think in UAE.

One lady had her urine tested randomly in UAE and they detected codeine which she had taken on leaving the UK.

She was arrested and detained.

I have taken syndol with me to Oz but my stopover in Japan was only for a few hours.

Whether or not there is a way around it or you need a doctors letter I dont know.:confused:

carmil Apr 25th 2007 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by White Leopard (Post 4695115)
Codein is illegal in many countries and I think in UAE.

One lady had her urine tested randomly in UAE and they detected codeine which she had taken on leaving the UK.

She was arrested and detained.

I have taken syndol with me to Oz but my stopover in Japan was only for a few hours.

Whether or not there is a way around it or you need a doctors letter I dont know.:confused:

I have a doctors letter that I had done last year for going to USA listing all the drugs I have to take and why, so perhaps I should get a new one done and ask if doctor can list Syndol on it as well. Don't know how that would work as it's not actually a prescription drug. Unless doctor can prescribe it which would be more expensive but I buy a yearly pre-paid certificate for my medication anyway because I have to take so many different things. Think I'll make an appointment with my GP, see what she says.
Thanks for your help White Leopard and Shiels :thumbsup:

herrchook Apr 25th 2007 2:54 pm

I tried taking Syndol when I was a student and getting bad migraines. Everytime I took one, it knocked me out - who needs sleeping pills?lol:D