Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anyone heading for Dapto??

Wikiposts

Anyone heading for Dapto??

Old Jan 21st 2008, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone heading for Dapto??

Originally Posted by vickys
Thanks Kaz, i'll let you know as soon as i find out anything. We got our PCC's through yesterday morning so they'll be scanned over to our agent tomrrow am. Fingers crossed
We got our case officer!!!!!!
Old Jan 21st 2008, 3:54 am
If all else fails...smile

smiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not too sure but is anyone out there heading for Dapto, Wollongong or anywhere close?? We've applied for our Visa last July and so far can't see anyone else heading where we are everyone seems to be heading for either Perth or Brissie. Anyone got any links to find out more about any schools in the area that aren't public schools??

Cheers in advance
Vicky
Hi Vicky....OH lived in Dapto, Woollangong, many years ago....til he was 15....it may have changed now, he loved it there...but as I say was a while ago....his Dad now lives in Mittagong, think that has some nice bits too...will see if I can find out about schools near the area, as he still has extended family who are all there with their kids....good luck anyway Ems x

congrats on the case officer
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by smiling4
Hi Vicky....OH lived in Dapto, Woollangong, many years ago....til he was 15....it may have changed now, he loved it there...but as I say was a while ago....his Dad now lives in Mittagong, think that has some nice bits too...will see if I can find out about schools near the area, as he still has extended family who are all there with their kids....good luck anyway Ems x

congrats on the case officer
That'd be fantastic Em's, its getting to feel more real now x
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 6:26 pm

smiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Vicky,

I spoke with OH - he said he loved it when he lived in Dapto and right on Lake Illawarra, however things have changed and it did have one of the highest unemployment rates or at least Woollangong did.....regarding schools, said they used to be good and went downhill a bit, which prob ties in with the unemployment, however he thinks that they might be doing or have done something about this to try and improve......
sorry it's not all good news, but hope it helps....even just a little....

Good Luck Ems x
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Vicky,

I spoke with OH - he said he loved it when he lived in Dapto and right on Lake Illawarra, however things have changed and it did have one of the highest unemployment rates or at least Woollangong did.....regarding schools, said they used to be good and went downhill a bit, which prob ties in with the unemployment, however he thinks that they might be doing or have done something about this to try and improve......
sorry it's not all good news, but hope it helps....even just a little....

Good Luck Ems x
Thanks Em's it has helped a lot, OH uncle has said that employment is quite difficult to get in the whole area and that when we first get there we might have to travel to gain work. OH is usually works mobile so it wouldn't be a massive problem and with Dapto being on the main route it might even be an advantage. I am getting really worried about the schools though, i want the best that i can afford for my daughter and will move heven and earth to get it for her, will be buying our house with the school location and reputation in mind. Just found out that the relative we are staying with initally have just moved into their new house in Horsley so that is another area. WE will be looking into all the area's mentioned above too.

Thank you so much for your help
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 12:51 am

No worries, if I can find out anything more, from the extended family, I will let you know.

Ems x
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 1:11 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

OH uncle has said that employment is quite difficult to get in the whole area and that when we first get there we might have to travel to gain work.
The issue in this area is with youth unemployment - the under 21s - not the general adult population. Wollongong and surrounding areas are booming. I've personally knocked on the doors of many hundreds of businesses everywhere between Albion Park and Nowra and am always amazed at the changes, even within the space of weeks, when I return to an area. New units are going up all the time, the steel works is booming, the port's booming - unless you're a school leaver, you'll be fine. And to be honest, I can't account for the massive youth unemployment statistics here other than to assume that they're being lazy, as there are plenty of opportunities.

Old Jan 23rd 2008, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Smile Re: Anyone heading for Dapto??

No worries, if I can find out anything more, from the extended family, I will let you know.

Ems x
Cheers Em's

Originally Posted by Hutch
The issue in this area is with youth unemployment - the under 21s - not the general adult population. Wollongong and surrounding areas are booming. I've personally knocked on the doors of many hundreds of businesses everywhere between Albion Park and Nowra and am always amazed at the changes, even within the space of weeks, when I return to an area. New units are going up all the time, the steel works is booming, the port's booming - unless you're a school leaver, you'll be fine. And to be honest, I can't account for the massive youth unemployment statistics here other than to assume that they're being lazy, as there are plenty of opportunities.

Thanks a lot Hutch, I dont' think I qualify for a school leaver any more - mentally maybe but that's another story!! Glad there are a lot of opportunities and whether it's the steel works, the ports or any other company they all need HR and Admin staff so I will be ok. I've still got to do my mission about all the schools but I can't make any decisions about that until we at least have an idea of when our visa will come through and then a clearer idea of when we'll be there. One thing I can be certain of though is that the sooner the better and the longer it goes on the easier the drink flows
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 12:35 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

If you are willing to move away from the coast (45Km, anyway) the Bowral area is very pleasant and has several v. good schools. Might be a bit quiet for you though!
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 1:39 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
If you are willing to move away from the coast (45Km, anyway) the Bowral area is very pleasant and has several v. good schools. Might be a bit quiet for you though!
Yea, I second that. If I wasn't a beach-bum then that's where I'd live, for sure.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks guys i'll take a look. We are open to any area that is close to family. We aren't adverse to quietness but do particularly like the social side of what we know of living in Oz. Might be totally wrong in our views but time will tell and we will be giving it our best shot, i'm sure i won't be disappointed by the sounds of most people who post on here. Thanks again
Old Feb 17th 2008, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

Kaz Gordon is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Anyone heading for Dapto??

Thanks Kaz, i'll let you know as soon as i find out anything. We got our PCC's through yesterday morning so they'll be scanned over to our agent tomrrow am. Fingers crossed
Hi Vicky

Any news yet keeping fingers crossed that you hear soon.
We found some brilliant beaches at the weekend, I think we are trying every one of them down here..

Kaz
xxx
Old Feb 17th 2008, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kaz Gordon
Hi Vicky

Any news yet keeping fingers crossed that you hear soon.
We found some brilliant beaches at the weekend, I think we are trying every one of them down here..

Kaz
xxx
Nah no news as yet, i keep looking on my emails like every couple of seconds in the hope that my agent has sent soemthing through but i haven't got anything yet. Having looked at a lot of the timelines though it could be anything from 3 weeks to 3 months after they have received the med's and ours were only sent to lcu on 11th jan, aparently there is currently an 8 week delay on their processing. Mind you having said that it is my birthday next week and i have to work so an email saying that we had our visa would just be the ultimate pressie, fingers crossed.

How have you found your first year and a bit? you got children? where where you before Oz?? tell me to sod off for being nosy if you wish though

take care
Vicky xx
Old May 17th 2008, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

opotiki58 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Vicky

I live a couple of towns down from Dapto, and its ok it really is, a good starting place, we are at Albion Park, in a rental until we get to know the area a bit better, my daughter 14 attends school at Albion Park High, which she loves, she sayes its so different from UK schools. Like someone mentioned the main road thru looks a bit dull, but there is a fantastic new shopping mall in Dapto and an Aldi's haha.

Any questions, please let me know and I will try to help you all I can.

Cheers Nadine
Old May 18th 2008, 1:06 am
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by opotiki58
Hi Vicky

I live a couple of towns down from Dapto, and its ok it really is, a good starting place, we are at Albion Park, in a rental until we get to know the area a bit better, my daughter 14 attends school at Albion Park High, which she loves, she sayes its so different from UK schools. Like someone mentioned the main road thru looks a bit dull, but there is a fantastic new shopping mall in Dapto and an Aldi's haha.

Any questions, please let me know and I will try to help you all I can.

Cheers Nadine
Shellharbour's a pretty good shopping centre too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.