Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anyone had their wisdom teeth out (when over 30!)

Anyone had their wisdom teeth out (when over 30!)

Old Aug 6th 2007, 1:36 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone had their wisdom teeth out (when over 30!)

This sounds like my experience I had all 4 out in hospital (courtesy of the NHS and paid nowt)!

My face swelled up alarmingly and it was soup through a straw for me all the next week.

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
I had all 4 of mine out in Hospital as they were impacted, when i was 23.
I looked like the elephant man for a few days after . All i could eat for a week was soup and scrambled eggs, i remember everything just tasted of blood !! I had really bad bruising all down my chest, Someone said its where the surgeon had to sit on my chest to lever the teeth out
The good thing was i lost about 7lbs

Nicky
Old Aug 6th 2007, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Default Update

Bleurgh

Got an emergency appointment today and x-rays showed I have a 4cm abscess above my right upper wisdom tooth. Have antibiotics (Metronide) to clear that up prior to extraction on Friday.
Feeling very sick - yuck.
Thanks for all your help and advice. I'm just having the one done for now, probably with a local (and maybe a sniff of gas and air to try it out!)

Mrs J XX
Old Aug 6th 2007, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Jasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by busterboy
I feel sick!
I am with you on that one - I hate the dentist and we have our 6 monthly family outing this afternoon - what joy
Old Aug 6th 2007, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

emmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jasonmb
I am with you on that one - I hate the dentist and we have our 6 monthly family outing this afternoon - what joy
I had mine out in feb 06 - on the nhs in hospital.
It was horrible when i got home- firstly i kept being sick - i think thats cos I took to many painkillers ( they were vere strong but good) then i got an infection in my mouth and was off work for 2 weeks!
All I can recommend is you need to get them done make sure that you wash your mouth out constantly and keep it clean - you do not want an infection!
Old Aug 6th 2007, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

jerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
I think I'm headed that way, never had so much pain

My appointment at the Dentist is on Friday but I'm sure that's what will happen as my Periodontist here in Perth mentioned that they were a problem.

Do they just take the problem one out, or all four? Do they put you to sleep or local anaesthetic? What is the recovery like? Just want to make sure I'm not out of action to look after the boys. I don't think I can avoid this any longer

Ouch.
Oh poor you I bloody hate the dentists' ( not personally!!) I had two of mine out a few years ago wide awake and shaking with fear ( what do you mean i'm not helping ) the one was ok but the other one broke and i wont even go into it,Aargghh Loads of luck and be asleep if possible
karma sent x
Old Aug 8th 2007, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jerzo
Oh poor you I bloody hate the dentists' ( not personally!!) I had two of mine out a few years ago wide awake and shaking with fear ( what do you mean i'm not helping ) the one was ok but the other one broke and i wont even go into it,Aargghh Loads of luck and be asleep if possible
karma sent x
Thanks very much - antibiotics didn't work, was still in agony so went and had offending tooth (along with humungous abscess) removed this afternoon. It was just bleeeuuuuurrrgh Had bad reaction to the adrenaline in the anaesthetic and then needed another 5 shots of different stuff for him to even get near my tooth

I'm not squeamish but my goodness that wasn't a very pleasant experience! Still, had to be done. Only another three to go - will try and get knocked out for them

Cheers everyone
Old Aug 8th 2007, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

jerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud of

Glad to hear you are ok, it's horrible I had the abscess stuff too
Just gross, i'm definitely going to book an appt with the dentist b4 I go

Ta-ra for now

Zoe
Old Aug 8th 2007, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

I had 4 removed a couple of years ago in the UK in hospital. Luckily my health insurance paid for it as I was in agony and the were quoting a six month wait on the NHS....all in all was about 1800 quid and done in 20mins under a general. I had only a slight ache for about 2 days afterwards and my face wasn't swollen at all. The worst thing was feeling the stitches in my mouth for about 3 weeks.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
I think I'm headed that way, never had so much pain

My appointment at the Dentist is on Friday but I'm sure that's what will happen as my Periodontist here in Perth mentioned that they were a problem.

Do they just take the problem one out, or all four? Do they put you to sleep or local anaesthetic? What is the recovery like? Just want to make sure I'm not out of action to look after the boys. I don't think I can avoid this any longer

Ouch.
Had all 4 out about 5 years ago - 3 were taken at the same time and it was fine, just swelling afterwards etc. The last one was apparantly 'difficult' so came out on it's own, with stitches in my cheek as well the pain afterwards for several days I wouldn't wish on anyone. Everyone (or tooth!) varies though, best to get it done.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 4:02 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

I had mine out in private hopsital on central coast (NSW) about 4 years ago (when I was 26)

I put it off and put it off and eventually had it done - all under general!

The most painful thing ever - took about a 2 weeks to get back to normal!

BUT, SOOOOOO glad that I had it done - wished I had it done years earlier!

Good luck
Old Aug 20th 2007, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Barney99 will become famous soon enoughBarney99 will become famous soon enough

I had all four impacted wisdon teeth out under local with a wee toot of iv sedation, ( like have 4 pints in 4 seconds) it was fine, not an experience I'd choose to do again, but done and dusted! I had a lot of pain post op, they say 10 days is the magic number, I had toothche for 6 weeks after, dentist couldn't find anything wrong, then woke up one morning painfree!!! I am a nurse and would be very careful about having a general in a dental surgey, my hubbie is a resus trainer and had visited the surgery that I had the proceedure done in to train & assess them - he said the emergency equipment was second to none but no one knew their cpr or how to check the kit.
If you don't have the bottle to do it under local, go for the hospital/general anaesthetic option,
hope I havent upset too many dentists
liz
Old Aug 20th 2007, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
I had really bad bruising all down my chest, Someone said its where the surgeon had to sit on my chest to lever the teeth out
The good thing was i lost about 7lbs

Nicky
I'm pleased to hear I'm not the only one to get bruising this way... went to GP with severe chest pains a few days after the teeth were extracted and his nurse diagnosed the problem.... dentist induced MI symptoms! I also had a "dead" left arm for a week.... probably through being lent on...

I had impacted wisdom teeth removed under IV sedation... it was yummy and I can recommend it to anyone... didn't matter what they did I really didn't care and I am the coward of the county
Old Aug 21st 2007, 1:31 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

I would rather give birth, drug free, to octuplets, than have my wisdom teeth pulled out agaiin.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 1:34 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

I had all 4 pulled when I was 36. Dont remember a thing but they gave me the teeth after and one had broken while they were pulling it. Had a helluva lot of bruising on my chest and a face like Desperate Dan for a week. Hurt like **** when the drugs were off immediately after.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 1:46 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
I had all 4 pulled when I was 36. Dont remember a thing but they gave me the teeth after and one had broken while they were pulling it. Had a helluva lot of bruising on my chest and a face like Desperate Dan for a week. Hurt like **** when the drugs were off immediately after.
For weeks after, I kept having bits of broken teeth coming out of my gums..... my face resembled Jabba The Hut for 2 weeks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.