British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Anyone had their wisdom teeth out (when over 30!) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/anyone-had-their-wisdom-teeth-out-when-over-30-a-471618/)

Wave the Sails Aug 5th 2007 4:19 am

Anyone had their wisdom teeth out (when over 30!)

I think I'm headed that way, never had so much pain :(

My appointment at the Dentist is on Friday but I'm sure that's what will happen as my Periodontist here in Perth mentioned that they were a problem.

Do they just take the problem one out, or all four? Do they put you to sleep or local anaesthetic? What is the recovery like? Just want to make sure I'm not out of action to look after the boys. I don't think I can avoid this any longer :thumbdown:

Ouch.

mattandjulia Aug 5th 2007 4:27 am

Re: Anyone had their wisdom teeth out (when over 30!)

Hi, Just had two out acouple of weeks ago. Had an aneastetic in the chair and didn't feel a thing. I was out for 90 mins as had 3 fillings done at the same time. Was put on antibiotics and pain killers for a week and had to go back a week later for a check up and had the stitches taken out as they were pulling. The most pain I had was paying just short of $1500 to the dentist. It will cost you a lot more if you go into hospital for them out. It depends on the xrays if they need to take more than one out. None of this was refundable as our private health care doesn't kick in for another 11 months for this type of surgery.

Hope this helps.

Julia.xx:)

Vanessa Aug 5th 2007 4:31 am

Originally Posted by The Jones Family (Post 5149766)

My appointment at the Dentist is on Friday but I'm sure that's what will happen as my Periodontist here in Perth mentioned that they were a problem.

Do they just take the problem one out, or all four? Do they put you to sleep or local anaesthetic? What is the recovery like? Just want to make sure I'm not out of action to look after the boys. I don't think I can avoid this any longer :thumbdown:

Ouch.

Had my bottom 2 done a few years ago but under general anaesthetic in hospital - they had to cut the gums etc. I believe I was also given an injection to stop the swelling so wasn't too much of a problem. Had one top one also taken out before this in the dentist chair with a local. Again no problems - they just clamped the tooth with pliers pushed hard down on the top of my head and pushed up on the clamped tooth, turned it a few times back and forth and then pulled - hey presto tooth removed ;)

busterboy Aug 5th 2007 4:59 am

Originally Posted by Vanessa (Post 5149780)
Had my bottom 2 done a few years ago but under general anaesthetic in hospital - they had to cut the gums etc. I believe I was also given an injection to stop the swelling so wasn't too much of a problem. Had one top one also taken out before this in the dentist chair with a local. Again no problems - they just clamped the tooth with pliers pushed hard down on the top of my head and pushed up on the clamped tooth, turned it a few times back and forth and then pulled - hey presto tooth removed ;)

I feel sick!

andy170773 Aug 5th 2007 6:11 am

wisdom teeth vary from person to person, some can have tiny roots and others long curved roots, they may be impacted(stuck behind another tooth and unable to come through fully) or they maybe perfectly normal, your dentist should be able to tell you all this from the xray and let you know any foreseeable problems for taking them out. the horror stories of old are just that, the only thing that is true is that swelling and bruising might occur for a few days after, because its right at the back of you mouth and this makes it a little more awkward for the dentist to manouvre!!! as for your age, well the only problem with that is in my experience people get a bit wussier as they get older and worry about things too much

Wave the Sails Aug 5th 2007 6:48 am

Originally Posted by andy170773 (Post 5149940)
wisdom teeth vary from person to person, some can have tiny roots and others long curved roots, they may be impacted(stuck behind another tooth and unable to come through fully) or they maybe perfectly normal, your dentist should be able to tell you all this from the xray and let you know any foreseeable problems for taking them out. the horror stories of old are just that, the only thing that is true is that swelling and bruising might occur for a few days after, because its right at the back of you mouth and this makes it a little more awkward for the dentist to manouvre!!! as for your age, well the only problem with that is in my experience people get a bit wussier as they get older and worry about things too much

Thanks for that. I had heard that it can be more difficult for people over 30 - not sure where though so phew!

Wave the Sails Aug 5th 2007 6:49 am

Originally Posted by mattandjulia (Post 5149773)
Hi, Just had two out acouple of weeks ago. Had an aneastetic in the chair and didn't feel a thing. I was out for 90 mins as had 3 fillings done at the same time. Was put on antibiotics and pain killers for a week and had to go back a week later for a check up and had the stitches taken out as they were pulling. The most pain I had was paying just short of $1500 to the dentist. It will cost you a lot more if you go into hospital for them out. It depends on the xrays if they need to take more than one out. None of this was refundable as our private health care doesn't kick in for another 11 months for this type of surgery.

Hope this helps.

Julia.xx:)

Yes I expect it will be expensive :blink:

Wave the Sails Aug 5th 2007 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Vanessa (Post 5149780)

I'm not bothered about the pain and I'm not squeamish, but did you urm, 'miss them'. I think my tongue will be rooting around in the spaces and that does make me feel a bit a bleurgh :huh:

Bobcat Aug 5th 2007 8:11 am

Originally Posted by The Jones Family (Post 5149966)
Thanks for that. I had heard that it can be more difficult for people over 30 - not sure where though so phew!

There's a brilliant dentist over the road from Iluka at Currambine shopping centre. It's next to the cinema complex and Oscar's restaurant.

My wife had problems with her wisdom teeth and went there for a check up: it was too big a job apparently for Dr Farnaz Dehghan but she referred my wife to another dental surgeon and she had to spend all day in Royal Perth Hospital in the city.

Bit uncomfortable and sore the next day............ but other than for that....... twas no big deal.............. not until you get the bill that is!

Wave the Sails Aug 5th 2007 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Bobcat (Post 5150095)
There's a brilliant dentist over the road from Iluka at Currambine shopping centre. It's next to the cinema complex and Oscar's restaurant.

My wife had problems with her wisdom teeth and went there for a check up: it was too big a job apparently for Dr Farnaz Dehghan but she referred my wife to another dental surgeon and she had to spend all day in Royal Perth Hospital in the city.

Bit uncomfortable and sore the next day............ but other than for that....... twas no big deal.............. not until you get the bill that is!

Thanks for that. I have an amazing dentist so far (!) he's so gentle. He said he would need to refer me to an Oral Surgeon so we'll see what he says on Friday.
Don't reckon the health cover will pay out much though, it doesn't go far on dental.

JoolsB Aug 5th 2007 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by The Jones Family (Post 5149766)

Ouch.

had all 4 of mine removed under general anaesthetic and holes were stitched up. a couple of hours after coming out of recovery relaxed in adjustable hospital bed watching late night telly and munching on (believe it or not) snickers bar, egg sandwich and bag of crisps much to the nurses horror:eek: No swelling or troubles after. Hope all goes well :thumbup:

Amanda Jayne Aug 5th 2007 4:04 pm

I had my bottom and top taken out on one side. I think they must have had trouble getting them out because I came round from the anesthetic before they had finished. I don't have a clear memory of what happened, because they must have put me back under pretty quick, but I have a vague memory of the Dentist being over me and trying to fight him off and the Nurse grabbing me or something.

When I first saw my husband I told him what had happened. I just kept saying "He hurt me" and was very upset. However, by the time I came round fully (for the second time) I totally forgot what had happened and was ok.

The rest of the week I took off sick from work and was in agony! I just wish they had done the other side at the same time as I now live in dread. :eek:

Sorry I can't be cheerful and say "Hey, it was nothing!". :rofl:

Amanda

dave.and.lisa Aug 5th 2007 7:06 pm

Don't live in OZ yet but I am a dental nurse, wisdom teeth are funny things and depending on how impacted or infected they are depends on the treatment and how much pain and swelling you have following their removal. Also there is a large nerve which runs close to the roots on these teeth which is why on the whole they tend to leave teeth that are'nt causing trouble. So it's common to leave the opposite side if OK. Removal of them tends to be done in the UK under a local or local and sedation to relax you. They do one side at a time even if all 4 need to be removed because the local numbs half your tongue. Only if you are really terrified or they are very impacted do they tend to give a general anaesthetic(in the UK). It's most uncomfortable for the first 48 hours so stock up on pain killers. You only usually get the hamster face if they were difficult to remove any good dentist will usually be able to anticipate this and warn you in advance as they can see the roots on the xray, although there is a risk of complications with any procedure. I had all four of mine out under a general a couple of years ago they were quite impacted and although had a miserable couple of days It was'nt as bad as I expected...You should be fine in no time but won't be chomping on much but soup for a couple of days.....good luck

sloane46 Aug 5th 2007 9:01 pm

Hi I have had all 4 of mine out I was 23 at the time. The top two were taken out by my dentist with just local anaesthetic and no pain during or after. I had to go to the hospital for my bottom ones as they had roots that grew towards eachother and were growing in the wrong direction one was sideways these also were removed under local anaesthetic (two seperate visits), the dentist seemed to have a right job getting them out he had to break them into pieces on both occasions and said I had a lot of scar tissue around the teeth. I must admit I did experience pain after having the bottom ones removed on both occasions but it only lasted about 6-8 hours (nurofen helped). As for the space you do find yourself running your tongue in the space left especially until the stitches dissolve but this didn't last as my other teeth stretched out a bit and after a while I didnt even notice a difference. One thing that was a bit weird was about 3 months after my last one was removed I felt something sharp in my gum after much rooting around with my tongue and fingers a slither of tooth came out the dentist must have missed.:blink:
Good luck with your op and hope you are pain and trouble free.

nickyjohnt Aug 6th 2007 1:20 am

I had all 4 of mine out in Hospital as they were impacted, when i was 23.
I looked like the elephant man for a few days after :eek:. All i could eat for a week was soup and scrambled eggs, i remember everything just tasted of blood !! I had really bad bruising all down my chest, Someone said its where the surgeon had to sit on my chest to lever the teeth out :eek:
The good thing was i lost about 7lbs :thumbup:

Nicky :)