Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anyone got a Thermomix?

Wikiposts

Anyone got a Thermomix?

Old Mar 17th 2009, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone got a Thermomix?

I know, but it is more interesting than the report I am stuck on.
Terrible, I have been googling for hours now to try and figure out whats wrong, at least with food you know what you've done!
And you, you're still reading about them
Old Mar 17th 2009, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=spartacus;7390266]

Thermomix unites the functions of over 10 appliances in one compact unit. Thermomix will amaze you with its ability to chop, beat, mix, whip, grind, knead, mince, grate, juice, blend, heat, stir, steam and weigh food.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but it appears to do the job of: a knife, a whisk, a spoon, a spoon, a whisk, a pestle and mortice, two good hands and a bit of elbow grease, a grater, a juicer, a blender, a hob, a spoon, a steamer and a set of scales.

I've got all of those already.

(QUOTE]

Was thinking the same, I cook everything from scratch and certainly dont have a $2000 appliance Come to think of it, the ute probably isnt worth that much
Old Mar 17th 2009, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Mine's red. Hub bought me a white one based on the advice of the saleswoman but I made him return it and get the red one.
Thank you for all the replies. I will reply in more detail very soon. But thank you.

I bought hubby the Kitchen Aid blender in red from the kids for fathers day. He makes there smoothies when he does his own. It looks great!!!! I've been hinting for the processor in red for a little bit to go along side it. Will have to start hinting about the mixer. They do look classy and the reviews and feedback are excellent This was my thinking before I saw the thermomix. Kitchen aid processor (in red) and mixer (in red) v's Thermomix.

Right school run and cooking time coming up Will post back but thank you for the lovely posts.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 5:27 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=jad n rich;7391784]
Originally Posted by spartacus

Thermomix unites the functions of over 10 appliances in one compact unit. Thermomix will amaze you with its ability to chop, beat, mix, whip, grind, knead, mince, grate, juice, blend, heat, stir, steam and weigh food.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but it appears to do the job of: a knife, a whisk, a spoon, a spoon, a whisk, a pestle and mortice, two good hands and a bit of elbow grease, a grater, a juicer, a blender, a hob, a spoon, a steamer and a set of scales.

I've got all of those already.

(QUOTE]

Was thinking the same, I cook everything from scratch and certainly dont have a $2000 appliance Come to think of it, the ute probably isnt worth that much
And I bet it's easier to wash a knife.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I don't really want to get into a debate about the Thermomix, it is after all only another appliance, but I enjoy cooking, and the ability to easily make things like ice cream, sorbet, butter, jam etc is fantastic.

This summer we had home made strawberry (grown at home) swirl ice cream and it was superb.
I am kinda getting why they say you need to see it in action. It was bloody powerful and looked pretty fool proof! The way it knock up the bread dough was unbelievable. I'm not saying a mixer can't do this but I definitely would need two items to do the main things the thermomix does. Me thinking the Australian price needs to be down closer to a mixer and processor a little more.

Having looked into it the UK price is closer to £700 not £900!

I appreciate your feedback.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Burbage;7391838]
Originally Posted by jad n rich
And I bet it's easier to wash a knife.
Not that I am defending it but I catch your point but there were less pots and pans.

My attempt at chopping onions takes longer than doing the whole bolognese sauce in the thermomix!

If i cook a sauce I will often pull out my crappy plastic processor to chop the onions, grate carrots, chop some fresh toms or sun dried then I use a big pot and have to wash up all the processor. With the thermomix you could essentially do all of it within the one thing. It will even keep stirring whilst you are off changing the nappy and beep when it has cooked for x about of time, at a certain speed and heat.

I don't want to justify the machine but I can kinda see a point after seeing the demo otherwise it wouldn't have got me thinking. $2000 is too much though for a bit of hard work and a mind set of health cooking and eating.

p.s I very rarely cook these items without doing batches for the freezer. i find it easier and quicker to do large amounts using a processor. I'd love to be able to chop like a chef.

p.s A friend has actually bought one a thermomix but then I took one look at her knife and it was more in line with a kitchen devil No wonder cooking is hard. At least I do have a decent knife and can chop a bit. I didn't quite understand purchasing this item over the empty dishwasher space and the leaking tap. I would have fixed that first!

Last edited by PoppetUK; Mar 17th 2009 at 5:47 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 5:44 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=PoppetUK;7391866]
Originally Posted by Burbage
Not that I am defending it but I catch your point but there were less pots and pans.

My attempt at chopping onions takes longer than doing the whole bolognese sauce in the thermomix!

If i cook a sauce I will often pull out my crappy plastic processor to chop the onions, grate carrots, chop some fresh toms or sun dried then I use a big pot and have to wash up all the processor. With the thermomix you could essentially do all of it within the one thing. It will even keep stirring whilst you are off changing the nappy and beep when it has cooked for x about of time, at a certain speed and heat.

I don't want to justify the machine but I can kinda see a point after seeing the demo otherwise it wouldn't have got me thinking. $2000 is too much though for a bit of hard work and a mind set of health cooking and eating.
I think there's a definite case for adding magnetic stirrers to cooktops. Has no one invented a stirring device yet that you can just stick in a pot and leave?
Old Mar 17th 2009, 5:47 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
I am kinda getting why they say you need to see it in action. It was bloody powerful and looked pretty fool proof! The way it knock up the bread dough was unbelievable. I'm not saying a mixer can't do this but I definitely would need two items to do the main things the thermomix does. Me thinking the Australian price needs to be down closer to a mixer and processor a little more.

Having looked into it the UK price is closer to £700 not £900!

I appreciate your feedback.
Agree that you need to see it in action to se what it can do. I think ti si great but then, as i said before, I didn't realise it cost that much.

Only you can decide if it is worth the cost.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 5:48 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I think there's a definite case for adding magnetic stirrers to cooktops. Has no one invented a stirring device yet that you can just stick in a pot and leave?
Michael Faraday.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 5:50 pm
Demi-God

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Michael Faraday.
Perhaps I should be clearer. Is anyone manufacturing and selling such a device?
Old Mar 17th 2009, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

If you can afford it and it looks like something you would use, then go for it.
I am always cautious of buying things that look brilliant and will save loads of time, because inevitably I can't be doing with the effort of using them once I have them. I bake alot, so my mixer is invaluable. Other than that I don't do gadgets, I don't even own a microwave. But obviously I am the exception and know that for most cooking can be more trying.
The only thing I would consider is, a cooking course would be something that you can use forever and ever, but gadgets tend to gather dust after a while or break. It sounded like your main reason was because you don't know how to cook very well, I am not sure that an appliance no matter how fab will help with this.
If you are really looking for something that will speed up the time you spend in the kitchen then its probably good - not that I have ever seen it.
Just don't fall into the trap of thinking you will make loads of things you didn't before. I know countless people who spent a fortune on bread makers etc because they were going to bake their own bread every evening. I only know one person who does, and they used to before buying it.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=PoppetUK;7391866]

p.s I very rarely cook these items without doing batches for the freezer. i find it easier and quicker to do large amounts using a processor. I'd love to be able to chop like a chef.

p.s A friend has actually bought one a thermomix but then I took one look at her knife and it was more in line with a kitchen devil No wonder cooking is hard. At least I do have a decent knife and can chop a bit. I didn't quite understand purchasing this item over the empty dishwasher space and the leaking tap. I would have fixed that first!
Easiest thing for fine chopping / slicing is an old fashioned grater. Like this.

http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/66916200

Use the slicing section down th eside. Flies through onions etc, just mind your fingers.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 6:36 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

sounds great to me if you can afford it go for it, reckon grandma would say the same.. its not like she had a choice back in her day
Old Mar 17th 2009, 6:38 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps I should be clearer. Is anyone manufacturing and selling such a device?
Old Mar 17th 2009, 8:34 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daydreamer123
I got the shiny black - it was an anniversary present, all the ladies I work with shocked and appalled - its the only thing in the house that I polish. Would have like the red one too!
Funny, the only thing I polish is my mixer. I love it. My husband also bought me a beautiful Broome pearl, but it sits in my jewelery box most of the time. The mixer gets used every day.
Originally Posted by spartacus
Are we still talking food mixers?!
Could be.
Thank you for all the replies. I will reply in more detail very soon. But thank you.

I bought hubby the Kitchen Aid blender in red from the kids for fathers day. He makes there smoothies when he does his own. It looks great!!!! I've been hinting for the processor in red for a little bit to go along side it. Will have to start hinting about the mixer. They do look classy and the reviews and feedback are excellent This was my thinking before I saw the thermomix. Kitchen aid processor (in red) and mixer (in red) v's Thermomix.

Right school run and cooking time coming up Will post back but thank you for the lovely posts.
I asked if Santa could please bring me the blender in black and toaster in blue next Christmas. Our kitchen is going to be white, so I think the colours on the bench would look great.
Originally Posted by Daydreamer123
If you can afford it and it looks like something you would use, then go for it.
I am always cautious of buying things that look brilliant and will save loads of time, because inevitably I can't be doing with the effort of using them once I have them. I bake alot, so my mixer is invaluable. Other than that I don't do gadgets, I don't even own a microwave. But obviously I am the exception and know that for most cooking can be more trying.
The only thing I would consider is, a cooking course would be something that you can use forever and ever, but gadgets tend to gather dust after a while or break. It sounded like your main reason was because you don't know how to cook very well, I am not sure that an appliance no matter how fab will help with this.
If you are really looking for something that will speed up the time you spend in the kitchen then its probably good - not that I have ever seen it.
Just don't fall into the trap of thinking you will make loads of things you didn't before. I know countless people who spent a fortune on bread makers etc because they were going to bake their own bread every evening. I only know one person who does, and they used to before buying it.
Funny, years ago my parents bought me a breadmaker thinking that I would use it. I resisted for a while because I really like to do bread by hand. But, once I used it a few times I got to like it. Evenutally I used the first one so often that it wore out. We had to leave my second one when we moved here, so it's back to bread by hand.