Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anyone gone around in a camper trailer?

Anyone gone around in a camper trailer?

Old Oct 10th 2010, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold
Default Anyone gone around in a camper trailer?

We are going off for 6 weeks with 3 x under 6's in a jayco expanda - coastal and inland queensland. My OH is working for the council and has to go put up signs on all these rural towns and so I thought, well why not all go since its paid.

Anyone else done something similar and got any suggestions of "must haves"

Its going to be a blast, the kids and OH drive me crazy at home, I cant imagine what it will be like
Old Oct 10th 2010, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone gone around in a camper trailer?

Originally Posted by odyssey
We are going off for 6 weeks with 3 x under 6's in a jayco expanda - coastal and inland queensland. My OH is working for the council and has to go put up signs on all these rural towns and so I thought, well why not all go since its paid.

Its going to be a blast, the kids and OH drive me crazy at home, I cant imagine what it will be like
Gone around what? . . . the bend?
Old Oct 10th 2010, 10:10 am
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute

If you're going inland and you're stopping at Gayndah, I know motel you can park out the back in and use the pool for free

You're going to have a ball!
Old Oct 10th 2010, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

ColinandLyn has a brilliant futureColinandLyn has a brilliant futureColinandLyn has a brilliant futureColinandLyn has a brilliant futureColinandLyn has a brilliant futureColinandLyn has a brilliant futureColinandLyn has a brilliant futureColinandLyn has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by spartacus
Gone around what? . . . the bend?
plenty of beer, plenty of insect repellent, plenty of mozie spray plenty of baby wipes.and most of all more beer and a sense of humour,......awwww i am so jealous, we have a mobile home in aus and going to wait for our visa now before next visit, we have been 5 times and been all the way round and through center.........enjoy !!!!!! by the way ..kids are put on this planet to drive us round the bend !!!!!! little ........!!!!
Old Oct 10th 2010, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by welshviking
If you're going inland and you're stopping at Gayndah, I know motel you can park out the back in and use the pool for free
Thank you! Its for Mackay regional council though so the lowest down is mckenzie river I think. We did all the signage at Toyota in Mundubbera though and I'll have to have your place's name - I often book the boys into accomodation inland. Be great to have a spy to feedback how drunk they get!

Will also stock up on baby wipes, thats a good idea. My children are without a doubt the loudest versions on this planet so I am also packing ear plugs....
Old Oct 10th 2010, 12:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

You will have a ball
Just be very organised & make sure everything is very easy to repack If you have time, have a dry run to learn what you can do better before you are on the road for good.
Em must have some great advice too!
Old Oct 10th 2010, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Sal

Only decided to go along end last week and leaving on sunday so no dry run I am afraid - also OH is in Melbourne this week so I am going to have to get it all packed up and we leave as soon as he gets back

Em, yes is giving me lots of pointers. and has promised me a book - I camp a lot but not sure of stuff related to the vehicle but hopefully it will all come with it when it comes......

I am going to have to set up a mobile office so down to telstra tomorrow see about an internet connection!
Old Oct 10th 2010, 1:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

What a great adventure though Viv & the kids will love it. Camping is great for kids, especially if they are a little hyper!
We have a tent but I love the look of camper trailers. Use plastic boxes to keep stuff in, so easy & quick to pack up in the mornings. Keep it simple & just check what shops you will have available where you go. Some of the rural places are very limited in what they offer.
Most of all, have a great time!
PS Don't forget salt, pepper & tea bags!
Old Oct 10th 2010, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sally Simpson
What a great adventure though Viv & the kids will love it. Camping is great for kids, especially if they are a little hyper!
:
I am hoping to run daily races in circles to curb that but that is the big concern on the driving days - they will be hanging from the chandeliers! Fresh air though is great and it will be so nice to just get them to myself.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I am hoping to run daily races in circles to curb that but that is the big concern on the driving days - they will be hanging from the chandeliers! Fresh air though is great and it will be so nice to just get them to myself.
Just pack stuff for them to do in the car.
Do you have DVD player for incar? Very worthwhile investment for younger kids I am told.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

I dont, I am going to get one. My middle one loves DVDs, the other two arent bothered. problem is my oldest gets overstimulated with too much in front of her eyes/sound etc. I am not sure how she would cope with it. I was thinking of putting them different sides of the car and installing a screen Stop them fighting too .
Old Oct 13th 2010, 11:20 am
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you! Its for Mackay regional council though so the lowest down is mckenzie river I think. We did all the signage at Toyota in Mundubbera though and I'll have to have your place's name - I often book the boys into accomodation inland. Be great to have a spy to feedback how drunk they get!

Will also stock up on baby wipes, thats a good idea. My children are without a doubt the loudest versions on this planet so I am also packing ear plugs....
Well well. Small world. It's in my sig if you ever need it.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Reading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to all

Hi, we ordered a Jayco camper trailer before we left the Uk so it would be ready for when we arrived. We all had ball - picked it up in Brisbane, went to Noosa for a couple of weeks in it and then across to Fraser Island. We then travelled inland to Adelaide and stayed in it for a month during the hottest month ever !!

In total we were permanent in it for about 3 mths with a 7 and 9 yo. They loved it - just made sure we kept a football and cricket set within striking distance so they could play while we set up. We have some brilliant photos and we have had some of the funniest moments in that camper trailer.

My most haves (most been said already) - a dongle, a plug-in rechargable torch, mozzie spray, beer, beer and beer.

Have a great time
Old Oct 14th 2010, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

Graham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to all

We have a trailer tent and toured the coast SA to N QLD for 3 months.
We now use it most weekends throughout summer, wouldnt do without it