Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Is anyone getting a sense the Mayans were right?

Wikiposts

Is anyone getting a sense the Mayans were right?

Old Feb 19th 2011, 12:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is anyone getting a sense the Mayans were right?

I dunno but at the moment my whacko son is out in the bush, building his house so that when the end of the world as we know it does come he and his family (and he kindly invited us as well - LOL) will have somewhere to live out of the way of the rest of what remains of society and to be self sufficient. Did I say he was whacko????
Old Feb 19th 2011, 12:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
I dunno but at the moment my whacko son is out in the bush, building his house so that when the end of the world as we know it does come he and his family (and he kindly invited us as well - LOL) will have somewhere to live out of the way of the rest of what remains of society and to be self sufficient. Did I say he was whacko????

Tell him he has made a glaring error.... He should have built 100 feet underground.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 12:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
OK, so while we are making guesses as the cataclysm to come.....

Revolution across the Arab world will lead to Islamic fundamentalists gaining control over large parts of the West's oil supply. The West will respond with force...a LOT of force. Plausible?
Personally speaking, if there is a major fundamentalist shift, which is quite feasible... I reckon the Chinese could be our salvation. The Chinese wont play pretty..
Old Feb 19th 2011, 12:40 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Baked bean futures are looking pretty good
You're not far off the mark. All commodities are going to to through the roof over the next few years. It's already started to happen.

Reason it's all kicking off in the Arab world isn't a sudden love for democracy, it's because food prices have spiraled out of control. Reason for this is an unintended consequence of American quantitative easing.

Next 20 years will be like nothing the world has ever seen - there is a convergence of the bursting of an unsustainable credit bubble, peak oil and massive global population growth.

Disclaimer: Renth is "balls deep" in commodities right now.

If any of you get the chance have a look at this series, it's very enlightening:

Old Feb 19th 2011, 12:48 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth

Yeah but you are right. I've only got my tip in as I didn't recognise a paradigm shift fast enough. There just ain't enough to go round any more....
Old Feb 19th 2011, 12:53 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Yeah but you are right. I've only got my tip in as I didn't recognise a paradigm shift fast enough. There just ain't enough to go round any more....
If you're only getting your tip in, then stick it in rice, it's going to go parabolic.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

You're not far off the mark. All commodities are going to to through the roof over the next few years. It's already started to happen.

Reason it's all kicking off in the Arab world isn't a sudden love for democracy, it's because food prices have spiraled out of control. Reason for this is an unintended consequence of American quantitative easing.

Next 20 years will be like nothing the world has ever seen - there is a convergence of the bursting of an unsustainable credit bubble, peak oil and massive global population growth.

If any of you get the chance have a look at this series, it's very enlightening:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XnXZzx9pAmQ
Don't get me started Renth however we both know that its not commodities that are soaring, its the value of 'money' which is falling, as predicted by 'conspiracy theorists' and 'tin foil hatters'.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 12:57 pm

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

If you're only getting your tip in, then stick it in rice, it's going to go parabolic.
Would you bear spread gold and rice?
Old Feb 19th 2011, 1:01 pm
(It's not my real name)

Would you bear spread gold and rice?
Ooooh, good question, thing is, I'm a bit too thick to understand options. Keep reading up on all the various plays but either the upside is limited or you risk losing the lot if you write calls.

I really need to spend time studying options more.

Should probably look at them to hedge the portfolio as I understand you can write them off as a capital loss if your options expire worthless.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 1:17 pm

Ooooh, good question, thing is, I'm a bit too thick to understand options. Keep reading up on all the various plays but either the upside is limited or you risk losing the lot if you write calls.

I really need to spend time studying options more.

Should probably look at them to hedge the portfolio as I understand you can write them off as a capital loss if your options expire worthless.
If your 'balls deep' long on the underlying (eg , gold) then maybe grant calls at one technical ceiling against buying a cheap 'well off the money call' on the next big commodity - could be rice. You get the premium on the first and effectively roll into the other without being dangerously 'sack deep'??
Old Feb 19th 2011, 1:20 pm
(It's not my real name)

If your 'balls deep' long on the underlying (eg , gold) then maybe grant calls at one technical ceiling against buying a cheap 'well off the money call' on the next big commodity - could be rice. You get the premium on the first and effectively roll into the other without being dangerously 'sack deep'??
Makes sense, I think.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Any recommendations on an online options trading firm here in Aus, although I may not be able to participate as the company I work for embargo's all kinds of trading.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What happens if Australia and Brazil and maybe some other countries, suddenly develop vast amounts of arable land ?

I can see both countries doing this... plus with GM foods, then you can produce far more yield per acre.

So I dont buy the running out of food argument... sure it may get dearer, but that in my view is more to do with India and China becoming wealthier and starting to become more consumer oriented societies.

As for peak oil.... Didnt the Chinese turn Shanghai into an almost 100 pct electric vehicle society within the space of 10 years ?
Old Feb 19th 2011, 1:25 pm
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by freebo
Any recommendations on an online options trading firm here in Aus, although I may not be able to participate as the company I work for embargo's all kinds of trading.
I use OptionsXpress, in the US. I don't use them for options but for ETFs.

I use OpenEcry for futures.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by freebo
Ig markets do some options. I still use city index in the UK as the vol is greater in London hours

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.