Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anyone fed up with Oz

Wikiposts

Anyone fed up with Oz

Old Feb 18th 2006, 9:19 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone fed up with Oz

Originally Posted by wmoore
You've got 'er number
Tis excommunicated too
Old Feb 18th 2006, 9:19 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

You've got 'er number
And I've got yours....and his
Old Feb 18th 2006, 9:20 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bix
Tis excommunicated too
Agreed
Old Feb 18th 2006, 9:20 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
And I've got yours....and his
Now I'm back to being scared.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 9:23 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Now I'm back to being scared.
And you thought it was Indian call centres
Old Feb 19th 2006, 6:29 pm
SuzieB

blowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Why would you have to be careful what you say. It's your life, not everyone likes the same thing. Majority of people would congratulate you on making a decision, not knock you. The odd ones that would give you grief would probably so the same on the "moving back" forum.

What is it for you, you don't like? just general vibe or something particular, if you don't mind me asking.

No, i don't mind you asking at all. For me, its a combination of things. I've had to take a bit of a step back career wise as the area i work in (niche legal/financial) is big in London, but v small here, I have missed friends more than I expected, while at the same time found it tough to make australian ones, I've found Sydneysiders to a bit unwelcoming and cold, especially the women, (back home, i really depended on my girlfriends) and I feel quite isolated from the rest of the world here - its quite insular compared to London/UK.
And the sorts of things that could compensate for that, such as beaches and warm weather, I have found that after a while, don't mean as much to me as I thought they would. I miss my friends and my challenging, if somewhat stressful job. I feel like i'm slowing down so much here, i'm afraid i might just stop and keel over any day. I do think most people who come here, are v happy, so its a personal thing - I'm a bit of a workaholic, can't relax sort of person, so for me I need a bit more hustle and bustle.
Totally understand why other people love it tho, and I think its a great country, just not for me. I must stop before i start coming over all sorry for myself!
Best of luck to anyone else making the move

xx suzieb.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 2:31 pm
Account Closed

scoobydoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hutch
lol - I agree - but you have to admit - if, like scoobydoo, you measure your quality of life in terms of posh clothes and handbags, then you're better off moving to Milan, not Oz.
Wow, talk about putting words into my own mouth. My quality of life is definately not about shoes and handbags, Im not that shallow. It was a minor observation, but take it how you like!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 20th 2006, 2:46 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scoobydoo
Wow, talk about putting words into my own mouth. My quality of life is definately not about shoes and handbags, Im not that shallow. It was a minor observation, but take it how you like!!!!!!!!
Hey - you posted..

Originally Posted by scoobydoo
3. No style, no dress sense, no class

4. No appreciation of quality shoes and handbags - I have only seen one radley handbag, and that was owned by an english woman.
I think you probably have to admit how shallow that sounds although I think it was said in humour.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 2:56 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blowers
No, i don't mind you asking at all. For me, its a combination of things. I've had to take a bit of a step back career wise as the area i work in (niche legal/financial) is big in London, but v small here, I have missed friends more than I expected, while at the same time found it tough to make australian ones, I've found Sydneysiders to a bit unwelcoming and cold, especially the women, (back home, i really depended on my girlfriends) and I feel quite isolated from the rest of the world here - its quite insular compared to London/UK.
And the sorts of things that could compensate for that, such as beaches and warm weather, I have found that after a while, don't mean as much to me as I thought they would. I miss my friends and my challenging, if somewhat stressful job. I feel like i'm slowing down so much here, i'm afraid i might just stop and keel over any day. I do think most people who come here, are v happy, so its a personal thing - I'm a bit of a workaholic, can't relax sort of person, so for me I need a bit more hustle and bustle.
Totally understand why other people love it tho, and I think its a great country, just not for me. I must stop before i start coming over all sorry for myself!
Best of luck to anyone else making the move

xx suzieb.
No need to feel sorry for yourself. You've had a great adventure. Personally I would probably kill myself if I had to live and work in Sydney :scared: I put all that pressure and city stuff away 14 years ago thank god, but can see where you are coming from.

Hope you find what you're looking for