Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anyone else got a Fitbit or similar?

Anyone else got a Fitbit or similar?

Old Mar 17th 2015, 1:31 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone else got a Fitbit or similar?

Originally Posted by Reasonable
Mine will not sync after using for two years and my wife's will not recharge. Will not be getting replacements!
Did you try cleaning the electrodes? I cleaned mine with a pin and then spirit and it now works and charges fine.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 1:46 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
I had a Garmin Fenix 2 for multi sport gps and its a beast of a watch. Anyway it died and so I decided on an upgrade to the Fenix 3 which I got today. Classy looking watch and has the built in pedometer (that word does creep me out a bit) and a motion tracker. It syncs into my phone every few minutes and uploads my steps to Garmin connect at the same time. I got a 'motion alert' on the hour a few times. So that got disabled...
That's a nice looking device! I think I want one, that or a Google Watch.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 2:04 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Personally I'd go
although I do want to see a price cut. All the watches are too much for what they are really - need to be less than $199 or preferably $150.

Old Mar 17th 2015, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Its pricey but it's puts function over form even if to does look nice. Other smart watches throw in touch screens which really aren't required on a wrist, nor is a microphone or a camera.

Loving this watch though. Apple are seriously compromising features for some gimmicky stuff in their watch, as are Google and Samsung. They don't compete at all with proper fitness watches. Also, I think waterproofing is important in a watch. Most smart watches are splash proof. The Fenix 3 is water resistant to 100m.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Personally I'd go
although I do want to see a price cut. All the watches are too much for what they are really - need to be less than $199 or preferably $150.
The pebble looks really cheap though.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 2:46 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

The pebble looks really cheap though.
???

Its been said to look like the apple watch, eg

It doesn't do the round face etc., but although that might be sexy, it isn't exactly practical.

Realistically the always on watchface, coupled with the 10 day battery life, coupled with the waterproofing, makes it the most practical of the current crop of designs.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

???

Its been said to look like the apple watch, eg

http://cdn3.computerhoy.com/sites/co...ebble-time.jpg

It doesn't do the round face etc., but although that might be sexy, it isn't exactly practical.

Realistically the always on watchface, coupled with the 10 day battery life, coupled with the waterproofing, makes it the most practical of the current crop of designs.
Yeah it does look cheap. I think that picture tries to take the piss out of it. Clearly Pebble copied the Apple design. But, gold paint on plastic does not look like gold.

The Fitbit charge would be a sexier, more discreet option for step count and notifications I think.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby has a Garmin version. Syncs his text/calls from phone too which is handy. Son also "had to" have one and it's good to help him focus on activity levels.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 3:24 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Yeah it does look cheap. I think that picture tries to take the piss out of it. Clearly Pebble copied the Apple design. But, gold paint on plastic does not look like gold.
The Pebble Time Steel was released before the iwatch. If anything it's been apple copying the rest (again). It's also not 'gold paint on plastic', clue is in the name...

The Fitbit charge would be a sexier, more discreet option for step count and notifications I think.
The fitbits are practically single use devices - only really fitness devices. They aren't anywhere near as flexible and usable as the smartwatches (no checking on messages and replying with the phone in your pocket. As such the cost really should be below $50-$99 for them. And as for looks, the fitbit looks like a WWJD band....
Old Mar 17th 2015, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

The Pebble Time Steel was released before the iwatch. If anything it's been apple copying the rest (again). It's also not 'gold paint on plastic', clue is in the name...

The fitbits are practically single use devices - only really fitness devices. They aren't anywhere near as flexible and usable as the smartwatches (no checking on messages and replying with the phone in your pocket. As such the cost really should be below $50-$99 for them. And as for looks, the fitbit looks like a WWJD band....
I believe the Pebble Time steel was announced some months after the announcement of the Appel Watch. Neither has been released for purchased yet. The pebble is a kickstarter campaign. If you think it doesn't look like a child's watch then fair enough.

In terms of notifications, I think the only important of that is for an emergency phone call. The Fitbit charge covers that and is actually quite professional looking. It's not a full fitness watch but neither are most smart phones. That's why I went Garmin Fenix 3. It does the best job at making a full feature sports watch into a smart watch whilst not compromising on battery life.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 3:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

???

Its been said to look like the apple watch.
That's why it looks cheap ...... ho ...ho .ho .ho
Old Mar 17th 2015, 5:24 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by Beoz
That's why it looks cheap ...... ho ...ho .ho .ho
I do get the feeling that people don't know the history on smartwatches. The apple effort it's pretty much just Android Wear Gen 1/ Pebble Mk1 standard. It's only real innovations are that dumb watchwinder interface (why?) and the heatbeat comms (not a bad idea actually).

Android Wear Gen 2 has gone all round - which if you are focusing on looks is the obvious direction (though it makes it less usable). Hence the surprise when apple went square.

Pebble Gen 2 aka Time, is the granddaddy of the smartwatches, and has always gone for practical over pretties. However, even the cheapest ones don't look cheap per se - more designed to appeal to their target demographic.

In terms of use cases then, fitness tracking is only a sidenote really. The main value, besides working properly as a watch, is the triage on notifications. For that you need a screen able to show a text message's worth. To that you need to add battery life over 4 days (because of how you use them) and something you can read in sunlight.

That's why the pebble does so well (that and the fact its still the king of the apps on smartwatches).

Personally I'm sticking with my cheap Pebble 1 until at least next Christmas, in the hope that someone thinks Android Wear + ePaper is the smart move.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

I do get the feeling that people don't know the history on smartwatches. The apple effort it's pretty much just Android Wear Gen 1/ Pebble Mk1 standard. It's only real innovations are that dumb watchwinder interface (why?) and the heatbeat comms (not a bad idea actually).

Android Wear Gen 2 has gone all round - which if you are focusing on looks is the obvious direction (though it makes it less usable). Hence the surprise when apple went square.

Pebble Gen 2 aka Time, is the granddaddy of the smartwatches, and has always gone for practical over pretties. However, even the cheapest ones don't look cheap per se - more designed to appeal to their target demographic.

In terms of use cases then, fitness tracking is only a sidenote really. The main value, besides working properly as a watch, is the triage on notifications. For that you need a screen able to show a text message's worth. To that you need to add battery life over 4 days (because of how you use them) and something you can read in sunlight.

That's why the pebble does so well (that and the fact its still the king of the apps on smartwatches).

Personally I'm sticking with my cheap Pebble 1 until at least next Christmas, in the hope that someone thinks Android Wear + ePaper is the smart move.
All due respect but maybe it's you that isn't entirely clear on the history of smart watches. You said the Pebble Time Steel was released before the Apple watch which is not true. I'm certainly no smart watch expert but it's irrelevant if the Pebble came first. People should by what fits their needs. Pebble doesn't have gps and that's definitely a requirement for me.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 7:25 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I like the look of this one!

Home page
Old Mar 17th 2015, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Looks great

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.