Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anyone else, could not survive a week without alcohol?

Anyone else, could not survive a week without alcohol?

Old Mar 14th 2010, 5:01 am
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone else, could not survive a week without alcohol?

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
This may not go down well but it's my opinion that if you are drinking every night there is something 'wrong' in your life. It's a crutch and if you're happy, fit, healthy etc etc etc you don't need a crutch. I am generally horrified by the amount people 'say' they drink on this forum. Obviously what they say and what they do are two different things but if you're an adult then boasting about the amount you drink is just as scary as the amount some of you appear to drink.
Spot on MP. I cant belive how much some people claim to drink every day - dont they have to get up the next morning and drive the kids to school / work?
Old Mar 14th 2010, 5:34 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Can quite easily and often do go weeks without a sniff of alcohol. If I do have a drink it's one beer or one vodka with mixer and never every night. Just don't see the point.

This may not go down well but it's my opinion that if you are drinking every night there is something 'wrong' in your life. It's a crutch and if you're happy, fit, healthy etc etc etc you don't need a crutch. I am generally horrified by the amount people 'say' they drink on this forum. Obviously what they say and what they do are two different things but if you're an adult then boasting about the amount you drink is just as scary as the amount some of you appear to drink.

I find it odd but then it takes all sorts so my opinion is kind of irrelevant

Disclaimer: 'you' in the above post is strictly general and not aimed at anyone in particular. I don't know the majority of you so have no idea what you drink and what you don't.
You are right MP it is a crutch. I was drinking way too much, over Christmas especially. Self medicating is the term. Luckily my drink problem was not alcoholism and I am now enjoying a couple of bottles over a week instead of the three a night over Christmas. I am very lucky that with all my other issues this has not affected my liver.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

TrentEnd will become famous soon enough

I've been doing quite well midweek, but I've recently discovered that Dan Murphy's stocks Bombardier, so I just had to get a reasonable supply in! A few Old Speckled Hens at the weekend is a nice treat as well....
Old Mar 14th 2010, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

bithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nice

Do not really want to upset anyone but it sounds like a few who like the odd drink to excess on a few too many days of the week ............so just in case all that drinking begins to become to much for you and your families you have a couple of options to help you get back in control of your lifes.

In the private sector
http://www.healthscope.com.au/info/g...t/1478/itemId/
Alcohol and Drug Service

In the public system you also have
HADS at the Royal Brisbane Hospital

AND http://www.health.qld.gov.au/northsi...ds_insert2.pdf

And of course AA.....

In relation to sleep http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/aa41.htm
The Liver http://www.thelivercentre.com.au/dev...ol/default.htm
The Brain http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/aa63/aa63.htm

Sorry to be a wet blanket but never know when someone might need a little extra help
Old Mar 14th 2010, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to all

Mate...wouldn't even want to try. Life is too short and too stressful not to have a tipple or two on a daily basis. Just slugging down my third LARGE glass of wine......purely medicinal you understand
Old Mar 14th 2010, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Mike 3G has a spectacular aura aboutMike 3G has a spectacular aura aboutMike 3G has a spectacular aura about

I have knocked it on the head during the week for fitness reasons. I was in training midweek but sinking beer after each session, which defeats the purpose. I have a new rule in place that limits me to drinking at social events that usually occur on the weekend, this has helped to break me out of the habitual wine and beer slugging any day that ends in a y. I must say I have found it tough at times as I really enjoy wine with certain meals however one is never enough. Health benefits are obvious so far as heartburn has disappeared and the waistline has shrunk a little although the training has no doubt contributed to this improvement. I like the cutting back thing but I'll always have the party animal in me, which is no bad thing, its just pissing it up 7 days a week really isn't good for me.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oz wannabe1
Mate...wouldn't even want to try. Life is too short and too stressful not to have a tipple or two on a daily basis. Just slugging down my third LARGE glass of wine......purely medicinal you understand
The words "Crutch" and "Boasting" from moneypennys earlier post seem like an apropriate reply to this one.

Typical UK mentality, my daughters teenage friends are all the same.
"I'm gunna get mortal this weekend" "No one can drink more than me"
"Got arrested, hahahahahha"

Yob culture, leave it in england thats my advice

J
Old Mar 15th 2010, 12:12 am
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

Life is too short to drink every night or get drunk on weekends.

I can go months without a drink.

I had two schooners a fortnight ago and had to go to bed to sleep it off.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 12:14 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jazzys
The words "Crutch" and "Boasting" from moneypennys earlier post seem like an apropriate reply to this one.

Typical UK mentality, my daughters teenage friends are all the same.
"I'm gunna get mortal this weekend" "No one can drink more than me"
"Got arrested, hahahahahha"

Yob culture, leave it in england thats my advice

J
Good job drink is illegal in Australia and there is no yob culture.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Good job drink is illegal in Australia and there is no yob culture.
Not as bad as in uk from my experience, not good anywhere i know but seems to be less so here

J
Old Mar 15th 2010, 12:41 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jazzys
Not as bad as in uk from my experience, not good anywhere i know but seems to be less so here

J
I suppose it's were you live. In Sydney I haven't really noticed much difference. Still the same related problems.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
I suppose it's were you live. In Sydney I haven't really noticed much difference. Still the same related problems.
Possibly, i live in a suburb of brisbane but there's not really the concentration of pubs for a pub crawl like there was in my old home town.

J
Old Mar 15th 2010, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

We like a tipple and nothing like sitting back after dinner having a natter and a couple of glasses of wine. We never get drunk just enjoy a drink.

I give it up now and again to lose weight.

We can afford it do not want to live to 90 like my mum so making sure
Old Mar 16th 2010, 5:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Oz wannabe1
Totally agree, plus you have to keep your tolerence levels up otherwise you`d get trashed after a pint or two!!!!
Roll on St Paddys night tomorrow!!!!!
Old Mar 16th 2010, 1:30 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

I am appalled at the number of alcoholics on this forum! You should all be ashamed at your excessive consumption! Thankfully there are members on this forum who can get through a day without the need for booze!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.