Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anyone been in OZ for over 3 years and ...

Anyone been in OZ for over 3 years and ...

Old Mar 15th 2008, 8:35 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Question Anyone been in OZ for over 3 years and ...

Returned to the Uk...

is it me or are all the drivers FARKING MAD !!!!

Its like watching a video of driving in FAST FWD mode...

Truly scarey !
Old Mar 15th 2008, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone been in OZ for over 3 years and ...

The motorways have always been faster than in Aus but generally more consideration for others on the road - more give ways and waves. I havent noticed that much difference in UK driving recently really - my big shock came after going home following a couple of years in PNG, then I did find the driving particularly stressful. I suspect that may have had more to do with me than the prevailing driving mode though.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 10:01 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
The motorways have always been faster than in Aus but generally more consideration for others on the road - more give ways and waves. I havent noticed that much difference in UK driving recently really - my big shock came after going home following a couple of years in PNG, then I did find the driving particularly stressful. I suspect that may have had more to do with me than the prevailing driving mode though.
Thats what I find. I think you can trust drivers over there more. Here the driving is for more erratic and they tend to think they are the only person on the road so they drive without any consideration of anyone else, either pedestrian or driver.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 10:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I can only compare where I come from to where I live now, but the drivers in my part of the UK are mental (or they were when we lived there - no I'm not gonna go back to see if they still are ).

They are more laid back in Adelaide I think and there are some idiots about, but not nearly as many as there are in Bradford!
Old Mar 15th 2008, 10:07 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thats what I find. I think you can trust drivers over there more. Here the driving is for more erratic and they tend to think they are the only person on the road so they drive without any consideration of anyone else, either pedestrian or driver.
Very true !!!

Debs was down at Paul and Annettes cpl of days ago, and 4 dogs loose on the road, all car drivers slowed down.
One driver just hurtled thru, and in fact sped up.

Recently an agent was showing us a house, he left gate open, and dog ran into road.... BANG full on hit, not metres from us.

Was shocking.

The driver stopped, got out looked at bumper and drove off.

Fortunately the dog has since made full recovery.

Ste
Old Mar 15th 2008, 11:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Dammit you've put me orf my trip. Reason being I've got to spend a lot of my time in at my Brothers in Milton Keynes. Mkeynes is almost certainly the home of the fastest and biggest roundabouts in the world. Try entering one of the main roundabouts on the A5, with a turbo Golf and Subaru WRX battling it out.

Got to admit I enjoyed being able to drive fast last time I was there, especially on that Birmingham tollway road.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 11:50 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Driving is my business industry. Believe me, standards in UK far outshine the Aussies. Driving at slower speeds does not automatically equate to safe driving.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

marcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to allmarcpiano is a name known to all

Learning my licence in Perth and am finding in my limited driving experience that lange changing and merging seem to be too much hassle for many drivers to bother doing safely or properly. Indicators? What's the point, must think many drivers!
Old Mar 16th 2008, 12:27 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Driving is my business industry. Believe me, standards in UK far outshine the Aussies. Driving at slower speeds does not automatically equate to safe driving.
Without a doubt!

One thing for me that was nice was to be doing 90MPH in the middle lane without worrying about getting done for speeding!

Ok, speeding is not big, and not clever, but 100% honest I was just keeping up with the flow on the M1 heading north in rush hour!
Old Mar 16th 2008, 12:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Have to be honest, I am ''nervous'', contemplative, about driving in bits of London. I will have to be far more aware. Here I find I can drive on auto pilot around where I live - which to be honest I think many Australians are guilty of too.

My belief is that you tend to drive to conditions and in the Uk the conditions are faster and more cramped and thus lend themselves to more aware drivers. Take all Australians to the UK and they would ''raise'' their game like so many Australians adapt to a faster pace of life there.

Won't have too much of an issue on Her Majesty's Highways.

I find the courtesy of the Brit driver only really extends to towns and villages, once on the motorway you do see shocking behaviour, mostly people trying to get in to/ maintain their business in the fast lane.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 12:47 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

There are pluses and minuses to the driving in each country and as people go from one to the other they concentrate on the minuses. As most of the posts are knocking the Aussies here's some of the pluses (for Vic at least). Better indication, better roundabout discipline, better road sharing (e.g. on a dual carriageway Aussies will keep right to let someone in from the left; Brits don't so the car coming in from the left has to wait), better lane discipline, slower driving in car parks when there are pedestrians around.

As always there are exceptions to the rule and people will define things by the exception rather than the rule if it suits their purpose. Also there will be those who don't understand where Aussie rules (de jure and de facto) are different to the UK and are unable to cope or adapt. This makes them bad drivers not the Aussies.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Mar 16th 2008 at 12:50 am.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 12:49 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I find the courtesy of the Brit driver only really extends to towns and villages, once on the motorway you do see shocking behaviour, mostly people trying to get in to/ maintain their business in the fast lane.
Exactly what I found when I went back last year. It also included people sticking in the fast lane when the could move over, tail gating and generally driving beyond their capabilities.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 12:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Just an afterthought.

It makes me laugh when people try to say the citizens of one country are worse than the other but without actually substantiating their claims. Because they cannot really compare like for like.

I go to track days with Australian mates and they are far better drivers than I am - in an environment where your literal driving ability is measured accurately but they've had more practise.
In fact I would go out on a limb and say Australians have the propensity to be better drivers - they have a car culture and many seem to grow up playing with cars offroad and can really learn to drive in the privacy of their properties. Of course it works both ways, the car culture means that many idiots make it worse for everyone else - this does not mean that Australians are born worse drivers.

Infact, I would say people mix driving with motoring. Very few people are drivers. Few people know about understeer/oversteer etc. Most people make a car go from A to B.

Motoring (which is what people talk about on here) is more about awareness etc, and I'd say that the road rules, and conditions are different in the 2 countries. Australian drivers outside the main CBDs have far more space and like I said drive to conditions. I know this cos I find it too. I am far more relaxed driving here - yes I know - but in truth I know that the environment is different. People will probably lecture me on how ''alert'' they are as a British driver on Australian roads but out of the car, and in the safety of an internet forum it would be easy to say that.

cheers

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Mar 16th 2008 at 12:54 am.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 12:55 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

I haven't experienced too much distress here in OZ with the driving side of things, just the ignorance of not giving way, no manner's or a thankyou when you let them in.
Speed in OZ is slower, probably too slow.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 1:36 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

I really have not noticed any appreciable difference in driving here from the UK. I don't give it a second thought.

Buzzy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.