Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anyone any personal experience of Berowra waters

Anyone any personal experience of Berowra waters

Old Jan 18th 2015, 7:10 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Anyone any personal experience of Berowra waters

Hi, does anyone on here live in or know Berowra waters? It looks like a really nice place and I'd be interested to find out more about it.

And no I'm not moving from Melbourne! Just interested.

Thanks

BB
Old Jan 18th 2015, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone any personal experience of Berowra waters

Been there. Almost all the houses are water access only. There is a famous restaurant that also has no road access (have to get there by boat or seaplane).

We hired a tinny once when our kids were small and cruised around the creek. Some lovely houses dotted about and a few deserted beaches. It's a very nice place but like other water-access-only places (there are lots around Pittwater, too) it's kind of impractical to live there full-time.
Old Jan 18th 2015, 8:21 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Nicky - that's very interesting and helps to answer one of my questions.

I'm heading up for a boating holiday in NSW in a few weeks.

BB
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 1:10 pm
Lancs to central coast

simnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud of

Peats Bite is supposed to be a fantastic restraunt it's on the way to the Hawkesbury from Berowra, then you can go left to Spencer or further to Wisemans Ferry & Del Rio water ski park or right to Patonga which has a good pub & real chips at the chippy.
Brooklyn has a marina & pubs & cafes & down towards Akuna Bay are some sheltered bays & small beaches there's a couple of marinas here with food & drink, America bay is where a lot of house boats & large cruisers moor up & party.
The Pittwater is a beautiful spot with Palm Beach, Scotland Island & Church Point amongst its highlights with lots of sheltered mooring spots.
Hardys Bay on the entrance to Brisbane Waters is our favorite stopping off point with good food & bottle shop before we drop anchor at Lobster Beach.
Beware of rough conditions in Broken Bay, we find it calmer to go straight across from Ettalong to the Pittwater then go upstream towards Brooklyn avoiding Lion Island, but we are in a small half cabin with an inexperienced captain (me).
Have Fun, Sim.
Old Jan 24th 2015, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Hi, does anyone on here live in or know Berowra waters? It looks like a really nice place and I'd be interested to find out more about it.

Thanks

BB
My friends Cate and Andrew live there
Old Jan 26th 2015, 8:38 am
Victorian Evangelist

Smile Re: Anyone any personal experience of Berowra waters

Originally Posted by simnmax
Peats Bite is supposed to be a fantastic restraunt it's on the way to the Hawkesbury from Berowra, then you can go left to Spencer or further to Wisemans Ferry & Del Rio water ski park or right to Patonga which has a good pub & real chips at the chippy.
Brooklyn has a marina & pubs & cafes & down towards Akuna Bay are some sheltered bays & small beaches there's a couple of marinas here with food & drink, America bay is where a lot of house boats & large cruisers moor up & party.
The Pittwater is a beautiful spot with Palm Beach, Scotland Island & Church Point amongst its highlights with lots of sheltered mooring spots.
Hardys Bay on the entrance to Brisbane Waters is our favorite stopping off point with good food & bottle shop before we drop anchor at Lobster Beach.
Beware of rough conditions in Broken Bay, we find it calmer to go straight across from Ettalong to the Pittwater then go upstream towards Brooklyn avoiding Lion Island, but we are in a small half cabin with an inexperienced captain (me).
Have Fun, Sim.
Hi, thanks for that info! We will actually be staying at Del Rio. Do you know what the speed limit is on the Hawkesbury (if any)? I'm trying to work out how long it will take to get around. I'll take a look at Peats Bite, I'm also trying to find a good place for several boats to moor up as I will be arranging a meet-up for some people all of whom will be in boats.

Can't wait - very exciting!

Thanks

BB
Old Jan 26th 2015, 8:08 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

From Del Rio to Brooklyn by river, it will take you about 1.5hrs if you go steady, or less than an hour if you gun it. There are some speed restrictions around the ferries and boat ramps, but mainly its unrestricted in the wide river areas. Del Rio is at the wrong end if you are looking to do a lot of navigating around Berowra and Pittwater. It's good for water ski-ing though, or trips up river towards Windsor.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 8:18 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by spuddyo
From Del Rio to Brooklyn by river, it will take you about 1.5hrs if you go steady, or less than an hour if you gun it. There are some speed restrictions around the ferries and boat ramps, but mainly its unrestricted in the wide river areas. Del Rio is at the wrong end if you are looking to do a lot of navigating around Berowra and Pittwater. It's good for water ski-ing though, or trips up river towards Windsor.
Thanks, we are mainly staying around Del Rio, but wanted a day trip to Berowra. Useful information, thank you.

BB
Old Jan 28th 2015, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
Been there. Almost all the houses are water access only. There is a famous restaurant that also has no road access (have to get there by boat or seaplane).

We hired a tinny once when our kids were small and cruised around the creek. Some lovely houses dotted about and a few deserted beaches. It's a very nice place but like other water-access-only places (there are lots around Pittwater, too) it's kind of impractical to live there full-time.
Can depend what OP means by Berowra Waters? I used to train in that area most weekends. Berowra Waters as I know it, refers to the area that drops down from Berowra Heights to the ferry ( which goes across to the Galston Rd). Definitely accesable by road and leads out to old PH eventually.

By your're right, some houses smack bang on the water might involve a boat, and a sprinkling of banjos

Hmm, I'm not sure what happened there. When I looked at thread there was only one reply, then after typing my message, all this extra info was there

Last edited by Tr1boy; Jan 28th 2015 at 6:34 am.
Old Jan 28th 2015, 8:55 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

If you are going down river towards Berowra and Brooklyn, make sure you take a trip up Cowan Creek and it's tributaries too, in the Kuringai National Park. Cottage Point Restaurant is worth a look in for lunch if you want to make it a special trip. You can refuel at Brooklyn marina and Cowan if needed.
Old Jan 28th 2015, 9:00 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by spuddyo
If you are going down river towards Berowra and Brooklyn, make sure you take a trip up Cowan Creek and it's tributaries too, in the Kuringai National Park. Cottage Point Restaurant is worth a look in for lunch if you want to make it a special trip. You can refuel at Brooklyn marina and Cowan if needed.
Great! Thanks for the tip.

BB
Old Jan 31st 2015, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Thanks

BB
We had a look here Buzzy, there's a lovely house to rent there at the moment, absolutely gorgeous and not a bad price, one problem though you need a boat to get to and from it.

I liked this place but the hubby thought it was a bit too far out.
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 1:45 am
Victorian Evangelist

I look forward to seeing these places - by boat!

BB