Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anybody just arrived back from Dubai ...

Anybody just arrived back from Dubai ...

Old Jan 27th 2009, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

Pisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant future
Default Anybody just arrived back from Dubai ...

We were there for 14 years and moved to Sydney a year ago. Would love to have an update on how things are there.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

Tansy is a name known to allTansy is a name known to allTansy is a name known to allTansy is a name known to allTansy is a name known to allTansy is a name known to allTansy is a name known to allTansy is a name known to allTansy is a name known to allTansy is a name known to allTansy is a name known to all
Default Re: Anybody just arrived back from Dubai ...

hi there, am currently in Abu Dhabi, looking at this forum as need an escape strategy!! I think it is safe to say that the bubble has burst certainly in Dubai, and the effects are now being felt in Abu Dhabi. Approx 3000 cars have been left at Dubai airport by expats who have been made redundant. In one word, it is dire. Looks like you got out at the best time.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

Poitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nice

Hi

We're in Dubai - it realy depends on what industry your in.
We're in construction - so are looking at a plan to relocate - where ever.

It's been hit bad - but some of the guys are finding work again.

On the plus side - rent are on the way down - and I recon there will be more school places too!

Have you got kids? - Did they settle back well? - interested as I have 2 (10 and 8 yrs)
Or are you not from Oz original ? Are you getting ichy feet again?

P
Old Jan 28th 2009, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

Pisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant future

I was born in Zambia, spent about 20 years in South Africa then 4 years in Botswana and then the time in Dubai. My husband is in construction, Quantity Surveyor.
No, not itchy feet, we are loving Australia, but both my children, 4 and 9 yrs old were born in Dubai and we had a great time there so I do sometimes miss the creek, the souks, and of course the SALES.
Glad to hear the rents are coming down tho'. We were lucky enough to rent a new Government villa near Mercato Mall for 90 000 a year with a pool and gym in the complex.
Both my children are really loving it here. My daughter settled in really well at her local school, although she was behind in Maths, Reading and Writing, which I think says a lot for the Education system here. She has had really good supportive teachers and has now caught up. We walk to school, to the local shops and have a huge park next door.
Our 1st winter here was a bit of a shocker, I think my blood has thinned!
Old Jan 28th 2009, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

Poitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nice
Smile Re: Anybody just arrived back from Dubai ...

Hey,
We're in the same line of business, funny that.
It's great to hear about the kids - this is why I'm pushing for the move - I think it will be better for our two. We are looking at Perth or Brisbane - just because we think Sydney is expensive.
As you can see we are a long way off from getting our visa - but I will pm you for advice if you don't mind. - We have to get police checks from here - But only vaild for 3 months - so will only do this when we get CO. We have already got police checks from Ireland. Also I need to find out about getting the medicals done here - I think I will do this next month.

We've been here for 4 years and have loved it - It has got very busy and changed a lot in our time - this lull in work may bring it back to a more relaxed Dubai.
It sounds wonderful that you walk to school - I'm so jealous!

P