Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anybody booked 1 way flights without house sold?

Anybody booked 1 way flights without house sold?

Old Mar 25th 2009, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice
Question Anybody booked 1 way flights without house sold?

I was wondering if anybody has done what we have done and booked their flights to Oz with their house still up for sale?

We're not going until October, and if it didn't sell we were going to rent to our next door neighbours daughter but found out mortgage company wont let us rent to DSS. We've just dropped our price to as low as we can - offers over £79,950 leaving us with NO equity whatsoever.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anybody booked 1 way flights without house sold?

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
I was wondering if anybody has done what we have done and booked their flights to Oz with their house still up for sale?

We're not going until October, and if it didn't sell we were going to rent to our next door neighbours daughter but found out mortgage company wont let us rent to DSS. We've just dropped our price to as low as we can - offers over £79,950 leaving us with NO equity whatsoever.
We did. Landed 11th Nov 08. And was 28 weeks pregnant with child #2! Exchanged contracts yesterday!
Old Mar 25th 2009, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

We wouln't be able to afford to pay the mortgage here when we move to oz and pay rent there aswell. We could only rent out our house for 2 years on the same mortgage, after that we'd have to change to a buy to let or go through the rigmarole of putting it up for sale again and we'd be back to square 1! :curse:
Old Mar 25th 2009, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of

We wouln't be able to afford to pay the mortgage here when we move to oz and pay rent there aswell. We could only rent out our house for 2 years on the same mortgage, after that we'd have to change to a buy to let or go through the rigmarole of putting it up for sale again and we'd be back to square 1! :curse:
We took a mortgage holiday for 6 months so didn't pay anything. It did put up the mortgage though by reducing our equity.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Holbrob is an unknown quantity at this point

We are heading over in July and if the house doesn't sell by then we will be coming on one way tickets with a house in the UK!! We have reduced the mortgage to interest only and plan to take a 6mth break when we leave the country.

Hopefully we will sell the house before we leave
Old Mar 25th 2009, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

jmoseley will become famous soon enough

My wife and I are flying to Brisbane on 18th April one way, got two houses in Wales, not sold but are renting one and the other in 2 weeks time.
We had planned to sell one and keep the other 'for a rainy day' but the housing market put paid to that.
Just hope that within 6 months we get work.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

As the weeks go on I'm getting more worried, there's no way we're going to let bricks and mortar stop us though, it's not like we're making anything from it if and when it does sell. We'll probably make enough to get us all a meal deal from Boots at the airport!
Old Mar 25th 2009, 6:16 pm
Outback Club Member

Paddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant future

I have. House been on market for about a month. No viewings at all. If it does not sell I don't need to worry. Fortunately I am in a lucky position...feel it for those who need to sell.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 6:59 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Worst case, hand the keys back, not sure if there are any repercussions. I'd look at other forums, finance etc and see what they say on there. I have only viewed them but you could get some ideas.

Good luck,
Cooler
Old Mar 26th 2009, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by coolerkingcooler
Worst case, hand the keys back, not sure if there are any repercussions. I'd look at other forums, finance etc and see what they say on there. I have only viewed them but you could get some ideas.

Good luck,
Cooler

That's what my husband has said, I suppose the house would just get reposessed but if the house sold for less than what we owe I imagine we would still owe the difference.
I'm sure plenty of people have done it though I don't imagine they would say so on here!! There's plenty of sheriffs in the BE town
Old Mar 26th 2009, 12:40 pm

snow-white is an unknown quantity at this point

That's what my husband has said, I suppose the house would just get reposessed but if the house sold for less than what we owe I imagine we would still owe the difference.
I'm sure plenty of people have done it though I don't imagine they would say so on here!! There's plenty of sheriffs in the BE town
hi guys
we thought we had our house sold 19 months ago unfortunately after we left for oz our sale fell through on day of completion , so we left with a house still to sell now 19 months later its due to complete 2nd time round for easter fingers crossed its been a struggle paying mortgage and rent here in oz but we had no choice

lesley x
Old Mar 26th 2009, 10:35 pm
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

We did, because we had to be here for work/school by January. We switched to interest only mortgage with a plan to rent the house if it didn't sell within three months. We were really lucky in the end and sold it to someone who had just sold their house to a cash buyer and wanted to move quickly. It completed two weeks ago.
It was a bit scary and I think you have to know how long you can afford to send money back to the uk.
Good luck!
Old Mar 26th 2009, 11:14 pm

snow-white is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CEM
We did, because we had to be here for work/school by January. We switched to interest only mortgage with a plan to rent the house if it didn't sell within three months. We were really lucky in the end and sold it to someone who had just sold their house to a cash buyer and wanted to move quickly. It completed two weeks ago.
It was a bit scary and I think you have to know how long you can afford to send money back to the uk.
Good luck!
the ones buying our house were meant to be cash buyers last august lol unfortunately everything ended up in probate as the cash buyers werent cash buyers till the probate of their parents house had come through, now its more a case of lost a fortune with the market lost more for all the months weve paid mortgage on empty house just want it all over with to move on
lesleyx
Old Mar 27th 2009, 2:19 am
Living the dream :)

nickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by snow-white
the ones buying our house were meant to be cash buyers last august lol unfortunately everything ended up in probate as the cash buyers werent cash buyers till the probate of their parents house had come through, now its more a case of lost a fortune with the market lost more for all the months weve paid mortgage on empty house just want it all over with to move on
lesleyx
We have left our house too and it is rented out. Took a 6 month payment holiday, switched to interest only and have tenants in there. Mortgage company said no we couldn't but what the hell, we are here now
Old Mar 27th 2009, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nickywes
We have left our house too and it is rented out. Took a 6 month payment holiday, switched to interest only and have tenants in there. Mortgage company said no we couldn't but what the hell, we are here now
Oohh interesting! What exactly did the mortgage company say you couldn't do?