Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Any truth? British Jealousy?

Any truth? British Jealousy?

Old Feb 24th 2013, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

blackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of light
Default Any truth? British Jealousy?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21519050

Australia, well i would rather be poor here than in the UK, and i have had a sh!t time here since arriving, but not sure i want to go back yet, just yet? I cannot say i luv it here, but i cannot say i miss blighty? Only posted to see some one elses thoughts? maybe to convince me either way how lucky i am? btw, i am no bbc lover at all.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 6:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any truth? British Jealousy?

Although in a lot of ways we have a better life here than in the UK, we are poorer in terms of what we can afford to buy. I've been here 4.5 years now, and I'm just about learning to stop comparing prices and take Australia for what it is. Sure, food is more expensive, as are clothes and books, but it has other compensations.

I am taking my citizenship test today because Australia is my home now, not the UK.

Hope things improve for you.

Last edited by carolinephillips; Feb 24th 2013 at 7:52 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

The article didn't really resonate with me. It seemed to suggest that everybody is rolling in it and nobody bats an eyelid about paying $2.25 for a lime. I don't think this is true.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
The article didn't really resonate with me. It seemed to suggest that everybody is rolling in it and nobody bats an eyelid about paying $2.25 for a lime. I don't think this is true.
I'm damn well off considering the blue collar job that I have..... However when it comes to things like limes etc... I tend to work around it a bit and work out whats expensive then buy a tree or a bush and grow them in my decent sized back yard. It's exactly why I've got a lime tree.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

The article is a load of crap, there's much more bangers on the road in QLD than in the UK.

No drive from Brisbane to the Sunshine or Gold Coasts was complete without passing at least 5 broken down vehicles.

And the only people rolling in it are those fortunate enough to have benefited from the rise in house prices or those working in professions in demand, much like the UK.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I think the article is referring to a small town over run by FIFO's where the local shops, real estate etc charge these guys want they like as they realise they are away from home, bored and cashed up. I think there is a different reality when you re normalise prices etc in more populated areas where there is more competition on the demand as well as supply side.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 8:56 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

For example, there is no litter on the streets. Nowhere. And I am yet to see a central reservation where the grass is not well-tended and the attractive shrubs not perfectly pruned.

It is the cars. I swear there is none on the road that is older than eight years. They are clean and dent-free and meet strict safety standards.
Gosh...she didn't see where I live then. Litter everywhere and a retirement home for an ever growing number of decripit Holdens out the back!
Old Feb 24th 2013, 9:07 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Terrible article. I find it interesting that some articles on the BBC allow comments, but others don't.

I've never ever left a comment on a BBC article. But I wanted to, with this one!

Having said that..... clearly the author knows exactly what she's doing. Balanced views aren't nearly as interesting/ provocative. ha ha...
Old Feb 24th 2013, 9:44 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

When life gives you $2.25 limes, buy a lemon.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

The mental picture of someone storming out of a shop infuriated with the price of limes is pretty hilarious.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 11:31 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Its based on the authors perception and her own lifestyle, sounds like a posh bit of totty proclaiming how fortunate she is and is definitely seen through rose tinted spectacles.
No litter?? No cars over 8 yrs old?? She is either blind to truth or lives exclusively in one street and doesn't travel.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

What an odd article!!
Old Feb 25th 2013, 12:58 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I've just read it....has to be the funniest thing I've read in weeks!!!!

We are rich. Bloody rich. So rich that no-one blinks an eye at paying as much for a lime as some of our neighbours in Asia earn in a day.

no litter on the streets. Nowhere. And I am yet to see a central reservation where the grass is not well-tended and the attractive shrubs not perfectly pruned.

t is the cars. I swear there is none on the road that is older than eight years. They are clean and dent-free and meet strict safety standards.

FFS sake which Australia is she living in?!!!!!
Old Feb 25th 2013, 1:03 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I've just read it....has to be the funniest thing I've read in weeks!!!!

We are rich. Bloody rich. So rich that no-one blinks an eye at paying as much for a lime as some of our neighbours in Asia earn in a day.

no litter on the streets. Nowhere. And I am yet to see a central reservation where the grass is not well-tended and the attractive shrubs not perfectly pruned.

t is the cars. I swear there is none on the road that is older than eight years. They are clean and dent-free and meet strict safety standards.

FFS sake which Australia is she living in?!!!!!
Yeah, I didn't recognise that bit of the article but I did recognise the cashed up bogans bit. Especially here in Perth.

It is expensive though. I was just saying to my wife how in the 10 years we have been here just about everything has doubled in price: houses, petrol, rent, insurance etc.. but my wages haven't and I've been promoted up 2 levels in that time.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 1:14 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Yeah, I didn't recognise that bit of the article but I did recognise the cashed up bogans bit. Especially here in Perth.

It is expensive though. I was just saying to my wife how in the 10 years we have been here just about everything has doubled in price: houses, petrol, rent, insurance etc.. but my wages haven't and I've been promoted up 2 levels in that time.
Definitely expensive....shame I'm not rich to cope with it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.