British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Any resource to learn Australian accent before landing there? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/any-resource-learn-australian-accent-before-landing-there-588098/)

legolasWood Jan 30th 2009 1:26 pm

Any resource to learn Australian accent before landing there?

Hi
Do you know any resource which I can use to learn Australian accent before I go there?

I heard that, for a non native, Australian accent is a bit hard to understand in comparison with American and British accent.

Thanks.

iamthecreaturefromuranus Jan 30th 2009 6:27 pm

Re: Any resource to learn Australian accent before landing there?

Originally Posted by legolasWood (Post 7229600)
Hi
Do you know any resource which I can use to learn Australian accent before I go there?

I heard that, for a non native, Australian accent is a bit hard to understand in comparison with American and British accent.

Thanks.

http://www.upfromaustralia.com/aussieslang.html

Your air fridge Strine will use all of these.

LouiseR Jan 30th 2009 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus (Post 7230659)

:rofl:

bigAPE Jan 30th 2009 7:00 pm

Hi

Neighbours, Kath & Kim, Crocodile Dundee.

Tr1boy Jan 30th 2009 8:22 pm

Are you coming to Sydney? Mandarin, Cantonese, Vietnamese, Thai, Philipino, Indian, Sri Lankan and my personal favourite Korean (because I can speak it :p) would all be jolly useful. :D

In other areas just drop your consonants, draw out your sentences and adopt a shockingly nonchalant attitude towards articulation and you'll be fine.:thumbup:

quoll Jan 30th 2009 8:59 pm

Just forget about glottal stops and use a rising terminal for every sentence and you will fit right in.

Grayling Jan 30th 2009 10:03 pm

Why on earth would you want to do that?:confused:

BadgeIsBack Jan 30th 2009 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by Grayling (Post 7231451)
Why on earth would you want to do that?:confused:

Maybe the OP is a non-native English speaker and needs more practise in listening to Australian accents than a Brit might. I think that they might be referring to the listening more than the speaking - but if they have used English in another English-speaking country maybe they would want to speak it a bit more authentically - or as is the case for many, have only ever learnt 'classroom' English from a non-native teacher.

We have had guests who have noticed the difference in the accent and have had varying degrees of success in being able to get on with it.

BadgeIsBack Jan 30th 2009 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 7231164)
Just forget about glottal stops and use a rising terminal for every sentence and you will fit right in.

I once heard a very well-spoken Australian refer to the infamous English glottal stop as he thought it was interesting. The way he described it was - they seem to almost 'halt in mid word'.

At the time, I wasn't quite sure what he meant - until I realised he was talking about the glottal stop. When I listen to English accents on the radio I notice it a lot, in some accents more than others - and it almost sounds hesitant and even occasionally awkward, I'd say.

Olibeneli Jan 30th 2009 10:14 pm

Hi

Thanks.

Hang on, why not go the whole hog to fit in really well, you'll not need the accent then:

grow a pointy goatee beard
throw away all shoes - walk barefoot everywhere
only wear singlets
start an interest in hanging out at brew-it-yourself-at-home clubs
learn how to play poker in someones garage
get a "F**K OFF WE'RE FULL" tattoo
practice the aussie wave (swotting endless flies)
....and my favorite
grow a rats tail pony tail

Only one thing you find under a rats/ponies tail...

(.......cue me ducking for cover to escape the flack. I'm sure someone will be along to describe a pommie clothed in a soccer shirt, etc....)

Dorothy Jan 30th 2009 11:11 pm

Hi

Thanks.

When you get here you can do some speech therapy if you would like to be able to adopt the accent. Otherwise it's really just a matter of getting used to it. Honestly, it doesn't take that long to get used to the accent.

legolasWood Jan 30th 2009 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 7231467)
Maybe the OP is a non-native English speaker and needs more practise in listening to Australian accents than a Brit might. I think that they might be referring to the listening more than the speaking - but if they have used English in another English-speaking country maybe they would want to speak it a bit more authentically - or as is the case for many, have only ever learnt 'classroom' English from a non-native teacher.

We have had guests who have noticed the difference in the accent and have had varying degrees of success in being able to get on with it.

You are completely right, I need to practice listening. I heard that Australian accent is different and is harder to understand when we compare it with American and British.

Thanks

framac67 Jan 31st 2009 12:22 am

Originally Posted by Olibeneli (Post 7231483)
Hang on, why not go the whole hog to fit in really well, you'll not need the accent then:

grow a pointy goatee beard
throw away all shoes - walk barefoot everywhere
only wear singlets
start an interest in hanging out at brew-it-yourself-at-home clubs
learn how to play poker in someones garage
get a "F**K OFF WE'RE FULL" tattoo
practice the aussie wave (swotting endless flies)
....and my favorite
grow a rats tail pony tail

Only one thing you find under a rats/ponies tail...

(.......cue me ducking for cover to escape the flack. I'm sure someone will be along to describe a pommie clothed in a soccer shirt, etc....)

LOL. Are you in North Qld because if you are, you missed out goatee beards with no moustache. Bizarre.:rofl:

man_called_Horse Jan 31st 2009 7:03 am

Hi

Thanks.

Just round everything off with an 'O' and you'll be alright mate!!

wmoore Jan 31st 2009 7:42 am

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus (Post 7230659)
http://www.upfromaustralia.com/aussieslang.html

"Vegemite"
Brown yeast sandwich spread which Australians grow up on, but is regarded by most foreigners as "semi-toxic".

Not that's fair dinkum :D