Any one "we" know?

Old Jun 11th 2008, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

maggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any one "we" know?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I hope you never suffer from homesickness.

==============
I am told the original ad on ebay is "lighthearted" and "a joke", so I have reopened the thread.
I assumed everyone knew it was a joke.

I spoke with this poster 5years ago before we emigrated and she was a great help to me.

I was one of the posters who could never understand why people were unhappy in Perth and actually slated them.

Well I learned my lesson big time and I struggled so much after the honeymoon period and saw no way forward.

I eventually did settle after 1 year and adored Perth friends, good job etc.

3 years later my views have changed again will I stay will i go?

Sometimes I can never imagine leaving here and others I want to run as fast as I can.

We are all individuals and will all have different emotions and more importantly we need to be more accepting of others views and opinions.

Nobody knows what tomorrow will bring.

Many of us have no choice and have to return to UK for personal reasons beyond our control.

Mags

Last edited by maggy; Jun 11th 2008 at 4:41 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 9:05 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tillysmum
I think you should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Do you not think that the public ridicule and humilitation that you are engaging in is not shameful, .
Errmmm let me think - no. Anyone who posts something like that on ebay has opened the door for "ridicule and humiliation". You make your bed - you lie in it.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 10:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunbather
Nothing to do with homesickness or wanting to go back but, personally, I can never understand why people go on about the UK being greener than Australia. Sure Australia has vast areas of desert but at least there ARE vast areas that are not built on. Australia, like UK, varies in colour during the different times of the year. Australia has rolling green hills in the wet months just like the UK does but the difference comes about in the summer months. Sure the fields turn brown in Oz during the summer, but they do in England too, yet the suburbs of Australia still have green lawns thanks to retics and bore water whereas England's back gardens become a patchwork quilt of varying browns because of hosepipe bans! My kids could play on our green lawn all year round here in Australia. In summer in England they used to get prickled by the dry bits of straw that were meant to be grass.

All depends on where you are - not much green between Sydney and Melbourne. Australia is naturally a dry barren country and its population is already well over the level that can be sustained. This is one of the bad drought periods - it's not AGW but cyclical, they had the Federation drought and the Depression drought and now we have another. I havent seen a green "lawn" (if you count the rough fescue that masquerades as lawn) in years as people choose not to water the grass with whatever water they are allowed to use (alternate days, hand held hoses between 7am and 10am etc etc). This is more than the occasional hosepipe ban, it is increasingly a way of life. When the government decides to take water away from food producing areas in order to meet the demands of big cities then you know we are in for a hard time (talk to the farmers down on the NSW/Vic border). The rain just isnt falling where we need it to fall.

For me there is absolutely nothing like flying up the Thames in summer and seeing the patchwork of greens - bring it on! Only 37 more days and I will be there.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 12:38 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
I think it was the degree of sarcasm that you originally used that was the real issue for Pollyana and the fact that this might have been inappropriate because the OP (EBay) *might* be reading this thread and to her it would have seemed that you were mocking her and her sensibilities.

At a guess I would say that the issue of homesickness was a peripheral issue with regards to the core issue. A distraction really.

It could well be the case that the OP (Ebay) respects your feelings on Tescos, British country-side and pubs but doesn't feel the need to mock your opposing view?

These are just my objective thoughts on the matter.
Fair enough, point taken.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 12:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

KEVIN is in the uk for 2 monthmoment and she sent me a picture of her in our local park and I couldn't help thinking.... bloody hell that's green..

I think that uk has more greens in nature.... where as Australia has more browns and yellows and blue greens...

Depends on where you are ... and what time of year it is...
Old Jun 12th 2008, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

I can imagine most people upon leaving the UK don't think are going to miss "the petty stuff" like Tescos, pubs, countryside, their football team etc .....

However no-one knows how they will feel 2, 5, 10 years down the line. I know I didn't really miss things til about the 3 year mark.

For anyone mocking those who suffer from homesickness, just remember it could be you in a year or ten, and I think you will find you wouldn't wish it upon your worst enemy.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Anyone who says they miss the English ''countryside'' and ''quaint'' pubs is always bound to be useless.

Nothing wrong with it itself, it's just the whole pommy attitude.

cheers
What, a bit like anyone who says they miss the "Aussie beaches" and the "laid back lifestyle".
Old Jun 12th 2008, 8:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I think most people complaining about what's been said have missed the point imo. No one was knocking the fact that the person is homesick and however homesick they are they obviously have a sense of humour or they wouldn't have done the ad. What most people had issues with was the 'culture' comment which appeared to include shops, green grass and football. It was fairly obvious to a blind man that having 100 people send her $1 each was never ever going to get her anywhere except presumably to have a chuckle at some of the comments made and cheer her up.