Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Any nuritionists out there

Wikiposts

Any nuritionists out there

Old Jun 4th 2009, 4:27 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any nuritionists out there

Originally Posted by jazzys
Maybe she isn't your AVERAGE nutritionist.

I really don't have any opinions one way or the other as to whether its all a load of rubbish or not. i have an open mind about it and i have seen a lot of websites that say it is a valid and worthwhile subject and i have people on here telling me its voodoo and a load of old tosh.

I know that if you google "blood group diet" there are over 2 million results.
Would there be 2 million results for something that wasn't worthy of debate, i don't know?

Jazzys
There are more than two million people who believe that the whole of mankind is doomed to suffering in perpetuity because a woman talked to a snake. The only thing that proves is that people are stupid.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burbage
There are more than two million people who believe that the whole of mankind is doomed to suffering in perpetuity because a woman talked to a snake. The only thing that proves is that people are stupid.
Fair enough, but it doesn't prove she's wrong and your right either.

Jazzys
Old Jun 4th 2009, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe she isn't your AVERAGE nutritionist.

I really don't have any opinions one way or the other as to whether its all a load of rubbish or not. i have an open mind about it and i have seen a lot of websites that say it is a valid and worthwhile subject and i have people on here telling me its voodoo and a load of old tosh.

I know that if you google "blood group diet" there are over 2 million results.
Would there be 2 million results for something that wasn't worthy of debate, i don't know?

Jazzys

Dr Phillip Alexander in Sydney.

He has a metabolism balancing diet that will straighten you right out.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 4:32 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough, but it doesn't prove she's wrong and your right either.

Jazzys
It would be up to her to prove that there is a mechanistic relationship between food and blood group that has so far eluded the proper scientific community. It's not a matter of opinion. It's a matter of showing the existence of something that has so far not been observed. And then proving it.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 7:32 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

OK OK, here we go.
I had a conversation with a nutritionist friend the other day and she mentioned about certain foods being better for you depending on your blood group.
Well apparently potatoes don't like me, but i wanted to know what the consequences are of me eating potatoes. Does it mean i will gain weight easier than someone who is a different blood group.

She also said i shouldn't eat wheat. But i don't know why.

Any ideas?

Jazzys
Have you been ill all your life because of your habit of eating potatoes or wheat?

What blood group are you? So according to this lady, a quarter of people in the world shouldn't be eating potatoes and wheat? Bit of a generalisation isn't it?
Old Jun 6th 2009, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

robclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nice

I thought dieticians had professional qualifications and came from uni's and worked in hospitals - and self conferred nutrionists were 'experts' ex as in past it and spurt as in dribble of water. There right up there with all the other wacko's. Namely hydrotharapists, Feng Shui 'spurts, Reiki masters and mediums..... Is their anyone out their who has lost a Dave?
Old Jun 6th 2009, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Have you been ill all your life because of your habit of eating potatoes or wheat?

What blood group are you? So according to this lady, a quarter of people in the world shouldn't be eating potatoes and wheat? Bit of a generalisation isn't it?
No i haven't been ill all my life and i'm not ill now.
what the lady said was not that potatoes were bad for me, but that other foods were better. And she explained that the goodness taken from certain foods is dependant on your blood group.

I find it rather confusing as to why all the above posts and criticisms are by people who aren't nutritionists, when the title of the thread asked "any nutritionists out there"

I am not defending this lady because i really don't know one way or the other if it is rubbish or not. I have an open mind and its very easy to say its just rubbish because its something we may not have heard of before.
But can the people who post and say she should prove its genuine, post some proof to say its not.

Thanks
Jazzys
Old Jun 6th 2009, 11:50 am
Demi-God

what the lady said was not that potatoes were bad for me, but that other foods were better. And she explained that the goodness taken from certain foods is dependant on your blood group.

I find it rather confusing as to why all the above posts and criticisms are by people who aren't nutritionists, when the title of the thread asked "any nutritionists out there"

I am not defending this lady because i really don't know one way or the other if it is rubbish or not. I have an open mind and its very easy to say its just rubbish because its something we may not have heard of before.
But can the people who post and say she should prove its genuine, post some proof to say its not.

Thanks
Jazzys
Not a lot of space here to post a full immunology textbook. You could pop into your local university library.

What is interesting is that you cast less doubt on a nutritionist talking about immunology than you do on an immunologist talking about immunology.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Not a lot of space here to post a full immunology textbook. You could pop into your local university library.

What is interesting is that you cast less doubt on a nutritionist talking about immunology than you do on an immunologist talking about immunology.
i'm not intentionally casting doubt on anyone, and i apologise if thats the way it comes across.

I just haven't seen anyone provide me with evidence that she is wrong

Jazzys
Old Jun 6th 2009, 12:28 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure why people are getting so worked up over somethings that's not proven. By not eating potatos or other foods Jazzy's not going to kill himself, even if it is a load of hocus pocus. Sometimes these things are crap, they have no scientific evidence and no logical explanation, but people believe in it so it works

Look at voodoo, or trials that show the placebo effect, ghosts, people who follow their beliefs etc. These are all states of mind

So long as it's not dangerous & doesn't harm.....go for it
Old Jun 6th 2009, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

I find it unlikely that blood group would make a difference, but I'm prepared to be wrong. I find it odd that certain types of people should have to avoid certain types of food unless its an allergy or intolerance. If you've never been ill it seems you don't have an intolerance.

The question is whether you want to try it. If you have no alternative to potatoes (don't like pasta, rice, couscous?) then you aren't going to take any notice. Incidentally, I disagree that all starchy foods are rubbish. Potatoes with the skin on are a good source of carbs and Vit C, as long as you don't smother them with butter and salt. Wholegrain breads, wholegrain or egg pasta and certain types of rice are better for you because they take longer to digest avoiding peaks of blood sugar.

If you want to try it then try it and see it you feel any different in a month.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

The lady didn't say that potatoes and wheat were BAD for me, she merely put it across that they were LESS good for me than they might be for someone else with a different blood group.

Jazzys
Old Jun 6th 2009, 6:29 pm
Demi-God

The lady didn't say that potatoes and wheat were BAD for me, she merely put it across that they were LESS good for me than they might be for someone else with a different blood group.

Jazzys
As far as I can tell from your description of what this lady is proposing is this.

If you have blood type B, for example, then you don't make antibodies to the B antigen. Now the B antigen is found in certain foods. So it might seem that if you don't make antibodies to the B antigen then it might be best to avoid foods containing the B antigen. This seems very reasonable on the face of it. And, in fact, in the early days of understanding immunology this was a question that was raised. The question was looked into and no evidence whatsoever was found that either the A or B antigens in food were any risk to our health whether we make antibodies to them or not.

Our bodies make antigens to almost EVERY chemical that enters our bodies that isn't recognised as self. Just because we make antibodies against something doesn't mean that something is dangerous. It's a sort of redundancy system. If you make antibodies against everything then you make sure that you've got all the bad stuff covered.

Funnily enough, this has led to a lot of allergies bring over-diagnosed. But that is a different, and more complex, story.

In the case it's specious. Any question of being put at risk by what you eat in regard to your blood type has already been asked. And answered. As I say, if you are really interested, this is covered in the textbooks.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

As far as I can tell from your description of what this lady is proposing is this.

If you have blood type B, for example, then you don't make antibodies to the B antigen. Now the B antigen is found in certain foods. So it might seem that if you don't make antibodies to the B antigen then it might be best to avoid foods containing the B antigen. This seems very reasonable on the face of it. And, in fact, in the early days of understanding immunology this was a question that was raised. The question was looked into and no evidence whatsoever was found that either the A or B antigens in food were any risk to our health whether we make antibodies to them or not.

Our bodies make antigens to almost EVERY chemical that enters our bodies that isn't recognised as self. Just because we make antibodies against something doesn't mean that something is dangerous. It's a sort of redundancy system. If you make antibodies against everything then you make sure that you've got all the bad stuff covered.

Funnily enough, this has led to a lot of allergies bring over-diagnosed. But that is a different, and more complex, story.

In the case it's specious. Any question of being put at risk by what you eat in regard to your blood type has already been asked. And answered. As I say, if you are really interested, this is covered in the textbooks.
I didn't take it as her insinuating it was about antigens. What i figured was this.

when i eat a potato for example, my body will say "ok we have a potato here guys" "but we don't really like all the stuff in a potato so we are not going to take everything out of it because we are a blood group O"
"Had we been a blood group A, we would have taken a lot more out of this particular type of food, hence it would be more beneficial to a person with blood group A then a person who was blood group O"

Thats the way i understood it, simply put. she was saying that different blood groups take different things from items of food. so if your going to eat, you may as well eat the things that are the best things for you.
She said that certain foods that a person may eat may cause certain conditions to arise, such as asthma. Leaving those foods out of your diet is obviously beneficial.

That was my take on the discussion anyway

Jazzys
Old Jun 6th 2009, 6:48 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Jazzys
You didn't seriously expect only nutritionists to reply did you? How long have you been on BE?????

Not sure at all as to whether she's talking crap or not. I'd say try it and see, what harm can it do? Trouble is, if you feel fine now, and you still feel fine six months down the line on the diet she recommends, how would you know if you are 'finer' than you would otherwise have been? If you get my drift

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.