Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Any mums got some Advice

Wikiposts

Any mums got some Advice

Old Jan 1st 2011, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

Shelly Cat will become famous soon enoughShelly Cat will become famous soon enough
Default Any mums got some Advice

Hi

I'm about 3 1/2 months pregnant with my first child.

Myself and my OH have been in Melbourne for over 2 years. Now apart from being really excited we realise we know nothing about what to do next?

The medical side is all sorted as in we know where we are having it etc. We also know we are eligible for parental leave scheme.

However what we would love to know is what we need equipment wise. No one we know here has infants and we have the sneaking suspicion shops staff just want us to buy everything in the store.

Anyone have any handy to do lists for new borns ?

cheers in advance
Shel
Old Jan 1st 2011, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any mums got some Advice

Congratulations

Here's a couple of lists I have just found:

http://newbornbaby.com.au/newborn/pl...aby-checklist/
http://www.bubhub.com.au/infochecklistnursery.php
http://www.todaysparent.com/pregnanc...58_3736&page=1
http://www.hipandlittle.com/pages/checklist.php

I'm sure someone with recent new baby experience will be able to help more. It's a long time since mine were little (although my son and his girlfriend are expecting my first grandchild soon, so I better get reading too! )

Don't stress too much, just buy the essentials and build it up from there.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

buchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant future

CONGRATULATIONS!!
We have 3 boys 9, 4 and 2 and spent a lot of money on things that we wish we hadn't done!

Buy a pram that you can that you could use for 2 children, you probably won't be able to see past this baby yet but just in case you have another one in the next couple of years it saves on having to buy a new pram - we have a Phil and Teds which is brilliant.

Don't waste money on a changing table just change the baby on the floor or a bed.

We bought a crib and then a cot, the crib was a waste of money as it only lasted our eldest 3 months, the other 2 went straight into a cot.

Don't buy your baby alot of clothes before it is born, half a dozen vests and sleep suits will do - they grow out of things so quick and you will be given clothes as presents so save your money

We never used a baby bath either, we bought a seat which goes in the bottom of the bath for your baby to lie on, or even better have a bath with your baby!!

Baby sleeping bags are briliant!

That's all I can think of at the minute, if I think of anything else I will let you know.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

Shelly Cat will become famous soon enoughShelly Cat will become famous soon enough

Thanks for that, we really don't want to waste our money but don't mind spending it on useful things as I'm sure you understand so keep 'em coming.

Shelly
Old Jan 1st 2011, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Try and resist the temptation to buy unnecessary stuff.I wished I had bought my eldest one of those swinging cribs with music as I think it may have kept her quiet for five minutes.She cried a lot,loudly so we didnt need a baby monitor.Invest your money on a decent pram that is easily foldable to put in the car and a decent car seat.Maybe buy one special teddy and a couple of rattles for toys. Audio cds are good too.If family want to get something once the baby is born maybe some vouchers from Amazon.Pick up things in the sale as you go along to save cash.Have a look on Gumtree for some bargains.Enjoy your pregnancy.For me and others its the easy part.Congrats.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 10:21 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

We got one of these which comes in really handy.

Well, actually we didn't but we did feel like it sometimes.
Attached Thumbnails Any mums got some Advice-kids_in_cage_00.jpg  
Old Jan 1st 2011, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
We got one of these which comes in really handy.

Well, actually we didn't but we did feel like it sometimes.
Oh,but they look so cute and happy in there.Do they come in bigger sizes.Just wondering like.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 10:36 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Shelly could have inspired a business venture here.
Will have to be big though as mine are now 6'4" and 6'1"
Old Jan 1st 2011, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bix
Shelly could have inspired a business venture here.
Will have to be big though as mine are now 6'4" and 6'1"
They dont have to stand all the time.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 10:47 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by irishbloo
They dont have to stand all the time.

Old Jan 1st 2011, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

I actually found a changing table invaluable as beds were too low and hurt my back! We used it all the time (bought ours from Aldi).

Just go straight for a cot and not a little crib. We used ours for a few months and then resold it on ebay!

Grobags are only needed when the baby is beyond 6 months (if a wriggler and kicks covers off)

A play mat is pretty good as you can roll it up and take it with you/wash it as required.
If you do not breast feed, an electric steriliser (although far cheaper to breast feed!)
Nappy bag big enough to chuck all baby stuff and other junk in.
Don't worry about too many little clothes- they live in growsuits but grow out of them very quickly AND you get lots as gifts.

Good luck.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 11:54 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Pomster, never had a change table for the 1st two, but with the 3rd did and instantly regretted NOT having one before Handy for storing nappies, creams wipes etc.

My other total favorite item was a wind up swing, although I think they are all battery ones now. My babes were all big as whingers and the swing gave us precious time to scoff down dinner etc. But get one off ebay cos they are stupidly expensive new and never leave the house so dont get damage etc...
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Pomster and hevs - a change table is essential. If you change the baby on the bed, you will be twisting your back, and as you do this loads of times every day, you might end up with problems. Also, if you end up having a CS, or some back issue that you didn't have before, a change table will make life a lot easier. You also need somewhere for wipes, nappies, creams, etc, etc. We used a large change table that also held all the clothes, sheets, blankets, etc. It's surprising how much a baby can wriggle when you're trying to change the nappy and you don't want that type of mess on your bed. The change table was big and strong enough for nappy changing from newborns to toddlers.

As Pomster said, it's important to get a pram that can take an attachment for another child. Also, there aren't many footpaths near us, so something that can take all terrains and still have a smooth action was essential. A pram that folds up easily and is not too heavy is also important, especially if you're in and out of the car a lot. I found having a flyscreen/UV shade was essential.
Attached Thumbnails Any mums got some Advice-change-table.jpg  
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold

Congratulations to you both!!

I had a crib/basket for all of mine (except for no.2 who wouldn't sleep laying down & ended up sleeping in his bouncy chair which I put in the cot ) & used them at least for the first 3-4 months. I had a cot bed for my youngest 3 which meant it lasted longer. My son has only moved in to a proper sized bed since we arrived here 4 months ago & he's 4 now.

I had bouncy chairs for all of them although no.4 hated it & we had a battery operated swing for no.4 which was invaluable but no.5 hated it. You just can't win!

I wish the growbags had been around when my older 3 were babies as I found them to be brilliant, especially when breastfeeding in the middle of the night as the baby stays snug & warm & you can simply lay them back in their cot afterwards with out to much disturbance. They're also very handy when you first take the side off of their cots as it takes a little while before they earn to walk in them so can't escape from their bed

You'll find everyone has a difference of opinion as to what's a good buy & what isn't but then every baby is different which I can certainly vouch for after having 5 kids Try not to stress over it as your baby won't be to bothered to start with.

Alison x
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

A car seat!!!
I used to have one that converted into a carry thing, and could go forward or rear facing- britax it was (but we are talking 14 years ago, so don't know if things have moved on.)

Also, a baby monitor, a change mat/bag, lots of muslin cloths (invaluable for draping over the shoulder when carrying baby to keep your clothes cleanish- they sick up/drool a lot) a large pot of anti-nappy rash cream, and a seat thingy for the bath. I didn't bathe with mine too often, due to her being sick/poohing over me- she had a reflux problem. Take out shares in wet wipes, infacol and nappies.

Get a big bucket/tub for soaking all the soiled clothes, cloths etc.
My daughter loved an ELC playmat with mirrors, crinkly bits, furry bits etc, and one of those play gyms.

Sounds a bit grim, but babies,though messy, give you much more pleasure than they do pain, even if you don't get a night's unbroken sleep for many months (or in my case 5 years!!!) Enjoy the rest of the pregnancy and stock up on sleep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.