Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Any mobile phone geeks know what's going on with my battery?!

Any mobile phone geeks know what's going on with my battery?!

Old Jan 3rd 2017, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any mobile phone geeks know what's going on with my battery?!

Samsung Galaxy ACE3, 2.5 years old. Battery/phone dies at varying random battery levels, but never close to empty (or so battery logger says). I never get lower than 40-45%. A couple of nights ago after top-up charge it died at 92%!

Tried 'conditioning' (charge while off, boot, drain, repeat, etc) with no improvement. Battery is kinda swollen - I've read this = dead battery.

Phone does weird things like this: charge to full; use until battery reads 80%; remove battery, put back in, boot, battery level reads 20-25% lower.

Got a replacement battery off of eBay. Seller claimed it to be genuine Samsung but I'm sceptical. I watch it charge from empty to about 30%, then it jumps to 100% charged. Battery life is better than the original - I got about 5 hours out of it today with minimal use, but it died when my battery logger app said battery level was 63%.

I'm an ex-IT geek/manager (now full time dad) so I'm tech savvy but this has me stumped. Haven't got the money for a new phone.

Any geeks out there with any thoughts? I'm happy to try another new battery but only if I can find a guaranteed genuine one.

Cheers & happy new year!
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any mobile phone geeks know what's going on with my battery?!

Originally Posted by Lucas_Dad
Samsung Galaxy ACE3, 2.5 years old. Battery/phone dies at varying random battery levels, but never close to empty (or so battery logger says). I never get lower than 40-45%. A couple of nights ago after top-up charge it died at 92%!

Tried 'conditioning' (charge while off, boot, drain, repeat, etc) with no improvement. Battery is kinda swollen - I've read this = dead battery.

Phone does weird things like this: charge to full; use until battery reads 80%; remove battery, put back in, boot, battery level reads 20-25% lower.

Got a replacement battery off of eBay. Seller claimed it to be genuine Samsung but I'm sceptical. I watch it charge from empty to about 30%, then it jumps to 100% charged. Battery life is better than the original - I got about 5 hours out of it today with minimal use, but it died when my battery logger app said battery level was 63%.

I'm an ex-IT geek/manager (now full time dad) so I'm tech savvy but this has me stumped. Haven't got the money for a new phone.

Any geeks out there with any thoughts? I'm happy to try another new battery but only if I can find a guaranteed genuine one.

Cheers & happy new year!
As well as a new (genuine) battery, factory reset the phone and get rid of all those apps, bots, viruses, etc which are killing your battery life. Its about all you can do if you won't purchase a new.

Like trying to restore an old computer, unless you change all the old parts, and start everything from fresh, you face an uphill battle. They suffer from wear over time.
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Beoz. I forgot to say, I tried a factory reset a couple of weeks back, but that was with dodgy batteries though. Just did the battery out & in thing again with it on 45% and it came back on to 15%! Looks like I'm going to have to start saving up my pocket money..
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Scratch off ACE3 and write Note 7. Samsung will happily give you your money back.
Old Jan 7th 2017, 4:12 pm
Up Around the Bend

penky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond repute

Is it definitely the battery thats the problem?
ie does power cord work, is the adaptor faulty?

I had a similar problem with previous phone and it turned out there was no longer a good contact between the metallic surfaces inside the USB port and the microUSB charger, there is a wee tab inside the usb port which you can carefully lever up so that when battery is reinserted it connects better.
(My phone also would say it was fully charged or would state charge at 50% then suddenly switch off due to no charge)
Old Jan 9th 2017, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by penky
Is it definitely the battery thats the problem?
ie does power cord work, is the adaptor faulty?

I had a similar problem with previous phone and it turned out there was no longer a good contact between the metallic surfaces inside the USB port and the microUSB charger, there is a wee tab inside the usb port which you can carefully lever up so that when battery is reinserted it connects better.
(My phone also would say it was fully charged or would state charge at 50% then suddenly switch off due to no charge)
That's a good point about the charger. I hadn't thought of that. However, I have a different charger each by my bed, TV, plus a battery pack thing, and suffer same problems.

I think I have got to the bottom of it all now anyway. Original battery - definitely duff. "Genuine" replacement from eBay - almost certainly not genuine. Second hand at best. It was crap. New battery from independent site (invy.com.au) - battery working well, phone seems happy. Happier, anyway. Nice to be down to 50% charge after 5 hours rather than empty & recharging already.

Cheers y'all.