Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

any ideas for a nice not-smelly pet?

any ideas for a nice not-smelly pet?

Old Feb 8th 2008, 4:40 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: any ideas for a nice not-smelly pet?

Originally Posted by ianandmel
yay yay!

We're getting 3 piggies (guinea pigs, not pig-pigs) on Sunday.
A mum and her husband / step-dad (neutered) and their daughter.
SO happy!

thanks for all the comments I got here last week!
You won't regret it - they really are lovely animals
Old Feb 8th 2008, 5:08 pm
Up Around the Bend

penky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ianandmel
yay yay!

We're getting 3 piggies (guinea pigs, not pig-pigs) on Sunday.
A mum and her husband / step-dad (neutered) and their daughter.
SO happy!

thanks for all the comments I got here last week!
Hey thats good news , are you emigrating though? what will you do with
them?
Ps buy earplugs for when it's feeding time
Old Feb 8th 2008, 5:29 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penky
them?

I was wondering that too

they really can squeal
Old Feb 8th 2008, 5:33 pm
Up Around the Bend

penky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
they really can squeal
Like a pig
Old Feb 8th 2008, 5:43 pm
Happy migrant

Like a pig
Yes exactly
Old Feb 11th 2008, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

ianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the rough

them?
Hello!
The piggies we got are between 4 and 5 years old. We can't emigrate before 2011 and more likely 2012 so I expect them to be dead by then. I know that sounds awful, but I didn't want to miss out on having pets for soo much longer, so I got some old ones. They needed a home, I needed old pigs, perfect.

I love their little noises, but so far haven't heard the real feeding time alarm the previous owner warned me about. Can't wait to see them in full action, they still have to settle down.
I'll probably regret these words soon
Old Feb 11th 2008, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

Guinea Pigs are great.
Clean, dont bite, you can teach them tricks too ( check out youtube if you must!)
I've got 2 here- had many more in the UK. Cheap to house feed and not too bad at getting someone to look after them if you go on holibobs.

They are sweet, easy, if not too clever furries and make lots of nice noises. Rsutle a plastic bag or chop up carrots and they'll be squeaking and climbing the cage walls begging for bits.

Only word of warning re piggies here, they aren't that heatproof over 30 degrees. I brng mine into a indoor cage in the aircon during the day at the minute or put a bottle of frozen water or ice blocks in their cage outside just in case in hot weather.

If ever you see your piggie lying flat on the ground and a bit disorientated plus a bit of dribbling from the mouth, drop it in the bath/sink/pool quick, leave it a couple of mins, then towel dry - it most likely has heatstroke and it will kill it left unattended. Deal with it quickly and your pig will come round in 10 mins and be munching away like normal with no ill effects.

Last edited by Phoenix; Feb 11th 2008 at 2:16 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

burtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant future

I bought a guinea pig for my cousin, she's five. Everyone got her really cool presents but she liked the guinea pig the best. Well at least I thought she did, until my cousin brings in a shiny white bike. It had long green ribbons on the handles and a big straw basket on the front. The chimed ring sounded like magic of an ice cream bell too. Now me, not to be out done. I told Donna that the guinea pig I got her was magical. Good stuff huh

Anyway, about a day later Donna was sat on the steps in front of the house crying. My cousin Karen asked her what the trouble was. She pointed to the well we have in the back yard. She said she had dropped her toy flute in it and threw the magical guinea pig in to fetch it and bring it back to her. As it so happens, magical guinea pigs can't fly or swim.

I felt that I possibly was some how, maybe, responsible for what happened. So in an effort to make it better I took her for ice-cream and to also get a new guinea pig. So we get to the pet shop and after she picks out a new one, she asks the store owner, "Is this one magical too?" to which the store owner (who was only trying to be sensitive to a five year old girls dreams, I guess) replies, "Yes! All our pets are magical." I smiled at the man and then again at Donna but in my mind I'm cursing at the old dude for saying that. If I have taken anything away from the experience, it's that lying to kids about pets having super-natural powers is totally uncool. Don't do that. Bad things really do happen to good people.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 3:32 pm

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by burtreynoldsisonit
I bought a guinea pig for my cousin, she's five. Everyone got her really cool presents but she liked the guinea pig the best. Well at least I thought she did, until my cousin brings in a shiny white bike. It had long green ribbons on the handles and a big straw basket on the front. The chimed ring sounded like magic of an ice cream bell too. Now me, not to be out done. I told Donna that the guinea pig I got her was magical. Good stuff huh

Anyway, about a day later Donna was sat on the steps in front of the house crying. My cousin Karen asked her what the trouble was. She pointed to the well we have in the back yard. She said she had dropped her toy flute in it and threw the magical guinea pig in to fetch it and bring it back to her. As it so happens, magical guinea pigs can't fly or swim.

I felt that I possibly was some how, maybe, responsible for what happened. So in an effort to make it better I took her for ice-cream and to also get a new guinea pig. So we get to the pet shop and after she picks out a new one, she asks the store owner, "Is this one magical too?" to which the store owner (who was only trying to be sensitive to a five year old girls dreams, I guess) replies, "Yes! All our pets are magical." I smiled at the man and then again at Donna but in my mind I'm cursing at the old dude for saying that. If I have taken anything away from the experience, it's that lying to kids about pets having super-natural powers is totally uncool. Don't do that. Bad things really do happen to good people.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 3:50 pm
Happy migrant

Originally Posted by Phoenix
If ever you see your piggie lying flat on the ground and a bit disorientated plus a bit of dribbling from the mouth, drop it in the bath/sink/pool quick, leave it a couple of mins, then towel dry - it most likely has heatstroke and it will kill it left unattended. Deal with it quickly and your pig will come round in 10 mins and be munching away like normal with no ill effects.
If you ever see your guinea lying down not moving - check it isn't just asleep before you frantically rush it to the vet
My OH hasn't stopped laughing about it yet.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 12:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kapri
If you ever see your guinea lying down not moving - check it isn't just asleep before you frantically rush it to the vet
My OH hasn't stopped laughing about it yet.

Ooops.

Mind you - A few years ago during a hot summer in the uk, most of our ponies were lying flat out basking in the sun in the fields happily dozing.
Guy pulls up in a car with the police in tow - Someone had reported a field full of dead horses - Doh !!