British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Ants - best prevention? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/ants-best-prevention-576076/)

FluffieFaerie Nov 30th 2008 11:09 pm

Ants - best prevention?

Ok, so I've come to terms with the fact that I'm just going to have to get used to living with ants - but the quantity of them in the house this past week is just taking the mickey.

We've been here 4 weeks and had the house sprayed prior to moving in - I knew when we had this done that their effect on ants was really minimal but I wasn't expecting to have to fight so many of them so soon - I thought maybe we'd be safe for 3 months!

Anyhoo, this past week they've managed to find their way into our bedrooms and living room which is annoying as hell as it's difficult to spot them on the carpets and as there's only a few of them it's impossible to determine where exactly they're coming from - we still get the armies in the kitchen/dining room.

Short of spending every waking hour hoovering, disinfecting the surfaces and going through can after can of bug killer - I thought maybe it might be effective for my husband to go around the house and windows when after he mows the lawn, say every couple of weeks...? I wondered what's the best product out there to use - I'm sure there's a few of you who have probably tried them all!!!

I'm also not a big fan of covering my house in talc - I know it works but it's ugly as hell and my little boy just thinks it's fun to play with and walk all over the house = more bloody work for me.

Anyhoo... hope you can help. :thumbsup:

asprilla Nov 30th 2008 11:18 pm

Re: Ants - best prevention?

Originally Posted by FluffieFaerie (Post 7024342)
Ok, so I've come to terms with the fact that I'm just going to have to get used to living with ants - but the quantity of them in the house this past week is just taking the mickey.

We've been here 4 weeks and had the house sprayed prior to moving in - I knew when we had this done that their effect on ants was really minimal but I wasn't expecting to have to fight so many of them so soon - I thought maybe we'd be safe for 3 months!

Anyhoo, this past week they've managed to find their way into our bedrooms and living room which is annoying as hell as it's difficult to spot them on the carpets and as there's only a few of them it's impossible to determine where exactly they're coming from - we still get the armies in the kitchen/dining room.

Short of spending every waking hour hoovering, disinfecting the surfaces and going through can after can of bug killer - I thought maybe it might be effective for my husband to go around the house and windows when after he mows the lawn, say every couple of weeks...? I wondered what's the best product out there to use - I'm sure there's a few of you who have probably tried them all!!!

I'm also not a big fan of covering my house in talc - I know it works but it's ugly as hell and my little boy just thinks it's fun to play with and walk all over the house = more bloody work for me.

find out where they are coming in/out of the house....there won't be too many spots. Then stick a load of ant sand down.

kiwinow Nov 30th 2008 11:48 pm

You can get little cans that they walk into with a sticky stuff inside. They carry it back home and poison the nest. It takes a while but it works and tends to discourage them from going through the house as they think they've found a ready food source. Ask at Bunnings or somewhere.

steve`o Dec 1st 2008 12:15 am

1 Attachment(s)

one of these
they are the most resisliant little baskets ;)

yanchep Dec 1st 2008 1:01 am

Well I havent had ants as yet, but god do we get loads of earwigs,:ohmy: Ive covered all the air vents etc all over the house, we have only been here 10 weeks and I expected some creepy crawlies but not earwigs, havent a clue where they are coming from but i aint happy with them :frown: mind you Id rather them then huntsman :eek:

ragtag Dec 1st 2008 4:23 am

Hi I have heard that chalk is good to prevent them coming in and also bay leaves they dont like the smell

yanchep Dec 1st 2008 10:07 am

what ants or earwigs :confused:

yanchep Dec 1st 2008 10:07 am

does it also work on husbands :p:rofl:

arkon Dec 1st 2008 10:51 am

Heres what I do.

Clean up every scrap of food on all surfaces and clean them. Then put a dolop of dog food in the middle of the floor (not carpeted). Wait about 24 hours and you will be infested with ants all in nice easy to follow lines from the food to the way they are gaining entrance to the house.

Now get a bottle of liquid ant-rid, about a meter from the food drop a few drips of ant-rid directly in the ants path. Do this for all the trails. Now clean up the dolop of food.

Don't disrupt the ants, let them feast on the poison. They take it back to the nest and kill the nest. They will come back in a month or mores time when the eggs hatch. repeat the process.

Works for me.:)

ragtag Dec 1st 2008 10:55 am

ants

Deutschmaster Dec 2nd 2008 2:04 am

I just made sure there was no food for them. I still have a trail of them traipsing up the drain in my bathroom but luckily they are heading out the front door into the neighbours apartment :thumbsup:

I just leave them to it.

Hutch Dec 2nd 2008 4:41 am

Best prevention? Ant condoms. Without a doubt. :)

FluffieFaerie Dec 2nd 2008 4:48 am

Originally Posted by Hutch (Post 7028202)
Best prevention? Ant condoms. Without a doubt. :)

Manufactured by Amoebas, of course.

bridie Dec 2nd 2008 5:02 am

My OH bought some spray stuff, I believe you mix it with water and spray it on - is very effective AND pet/child friendly.

I'll ask him what it was and let you know

oliver1982 Dec 2nd 2008 6:11 am

I use baby powder. They just walk up to it, turn around and go back to the window where they came in. Over and over again.