Anti-Australian

Old Oct 13th 2010, 1:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anti-Australian

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Crazy isn't it. As I said soemwhere, its just something I don't like, not worth dissecting, however someone seems to have made it his personal crusade to try and pick my personal opinion down to the bare bones
I didn't pick apart your opinion - that still stands. I chose to discuss what you had an opinion about and how I think it works here and in the UK which I think is commonly understood. Remember how I said people don't analyse enough? If a prospective migrant understands these things they are less likely to box themselves into corners - and also not see demons under the bed. That's my excuse..anyhow.. Lol.

Wol - the same applies to you. Your opinion still stands.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 1:56 am
Just Joined

lastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nice

I've been to lots of different expat sites for different countries. There's always a sizable contingent who hate the country and can't seem to wait to move back home. Nothing unusual here. Some people just aren't good at adjusting to new places.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 1:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Should I ever take a call about a mass suicide attack, with potentially hundreds dead, I will make a point to keep a check on my diction. !
The point of the news story is that the people taking the call did not see it as serious and didn't join the dots - and it might have been not their fault. But I thought they were sloppy in a professional arena.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 2:05 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lastresort
I've been to lots of different expat sites for different countries. There's always a sizable contingent who hate the country and can't seem to wait to move back home. Nothing unusual here. Some people just aren't good at adjusting to new places.
True, but there is also a contingent who hate the country and don't move back - which is the point I was trying to make with this thread.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 2:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Wol
You've all proved my point - I mentioned that I didn't particularly like the use of "Mate", but that it wasn't worth making a fuss about - and look at the fuss it generated!

The point was that trivial things aren't "negative", but there *are* aspects of Australian life and habits about which I think one can legitimately be "negative".

Lettuce not being one of them.....
I did not prove your point, but I may have missed it - or chosen to take a particular tack alongside it- which is common currency on a discussion forum. Your last point is understood - and I agree with it. There are loads of things negative, yes, and many are worthy....!!
Old Oct 13th 2010, 2:21 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I have had my fair share of moans about stuff I dont like here but I have learned that moaning about anything in life doesnt change it, it doesnt help and wont make a difference.

Learning to accept what you dont like, changing things where possible and getting on with stuff is the way to go. The more you moan, you just make the 'rot' spread and it helps noone, it really doesnt.

If you work with a group of people and one person continually moans, it eventually gets to the other members of that group. If one person in that group is cheerful, its amazing what effect that can have on others. Poor example I know but the old saying 'misery loves company' springs to mind.

You might not like where you live, but sometimes it is nice to try and see the good in things. Look at what you do have rather than what you dont, you might realise you are quite lucky.

Slagging off Australia won't make your situation any better, in fact you will just wind people up - after all, you dont like it when the UK is slated so why should it be any different when you do it?

Change what you can, accept what you cant and at least try and find something good about the rest.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 2:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Wol
Actually, it *does* lie at the root of some of the biggest faultlines here: the still-prevalent shoulder-chip thing.

The use of "mate" when talking to a client is as much about saying - or implying - that you are equals, and says a lot about attitude.

I wouldn't dream of calling a customer of mine "mate" when I was working: he/she was paying my wages and as such was my employer. If I meet him/her the next day and the roles are reversed I don't expect anything different.

In any case, "mate" is all too often code for "I'm about to screw you on price / delivery / quality: you know that, and I know that you know that I know...."
That is why in professional circles mate might be limited perhaps to a very cursory greeting or goodbye, or final thanks, if at all, (and maybe not), once a relationship has been understood, and not whilst talking terms. Mate can change context. When mate is code for 'I am screwing you' then of course it has nothing to do with friendship lol.

When I first did some consultancy with an old-fashioned older gent I never used mate - in this context - to imploy equality - he was the first to do so - and his emphasis on mate as a friend in this occasion came around the time a beer was offered fom his work fridge..but if a man had come to fix his AC he (or I) might have used it...such is the custom..

Originally Posted by IvanM
To be fair lots of locals find "mate" a bit bogan and over used. You just grin and near until you find it the same as way minor irritations back in the UK. We all coped there.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 2:27 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
in fact you will just wind people up
Maybe that is why some people do it
Old Oct 13th 2010, 2:31 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling
Speaking personally?
Old Oct 13th 2010, 2:37 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking personally?
Old Oct 13th 2010, 2:46 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah, right.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 2:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Just because I know that's your favourite smilie
Old Oct 13th 2010, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

What's the general feeling on the topic of the thread i.e. 'Anti-Australian' / 'Un-Australian' posts/posters? Should the forum set up Ministries of Truth, Love, Peace and Plenty to stomp out these aggressors and their dangerous thoughts?
Old Oct 13th 2010, 9:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Steve2009
What's the general feeling on the topic of the thread i.e. 'Anti-Australian' / 'Un-Australian' posts/posters? Should the forum set up Ministries of Truth, Love, Peace and Plenty to stomp out these aggressors and their dangerous thoughts?
In general -

If people could actually debate it might be a start...if people could cut sensationalist comment in general and actually explain the issues when it counts and is needed the forum would be a better place - in general.I give the subject matter equal weight whether it is pro or anti-Australia. I am as happy to dissect and criticise the very fabric of what makes Australia tick, oh yes! and also understand the migrants that find themselves there - although it was not my aim to dissect Polly on this occasion- sorry mate!

Detail gives rise to informed conclusion - conclusion might help the more discerning migrant who does not always want to hear that for example, 'Aussies can't drive' - but what can be different or interesting here with regard to motoring, wrong or right...!

I suggested a year back or so that we do need referees because without this we will never get to the bottom of issues and leave baggage behind. Perhaps Grayling could really offload both barrels...
Old Oct 13th 2010, 9:35 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Should I ever take a call about a mass suicide attack, with potentially hundreds dead, I will make a point to keep a check on my diction. !

Originally Posted by Wol
.....In any case, "mate" is all too often code for "I'm about to screw you on price / delivery / quality: you know that, and I know that you know that I know...."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.