Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anti-Americanism, Anti-Foreigners of any kind?

Anti-Americanism, Anti-Foreigners of any kind?

Old Jan 21st 2011, 1:51 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anti-Americanism, Anti-Foreigners of any kind?

I can usually spot a Yank on a forum, they arrive halfway through an argument.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 1:54 am
Banned

furbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ukecadet
Call their bluff next time and tell them your Canadian or Irish.They can't pick an accent for the life of them.
Na tell them you're from Tasmania. Most of them don't even know where that is. I've lost my accent from living most of my life in Canada and that's what I tell them. No shit... I tell them I suffer from Foreign Accent Syndrome (it's true look it up!) from a really bad flu I caught when I was young and living in Hobart... It honestly f##ks their heads up. I've had people get quite angry when I finally let them in on it. I tend not to play the joke on pissed idiots though - aussies like to fight.

On a serious side I get mistaken for being american all the time. I'd say most of the comments are derogatory. The I explain that I'm originally english but lived most of my life in Canada. They usually respond with: I'm so sorry! You must hate being mistaken for being yank... It's a bit uncomfortable when the person next to you is american.

One such memorable "conversation" went like this...

I heard banging outside the house so I had a look out the door only to find vegetation being thrown over the 7' high fence and onto my truck... I let it go for about 10 minutes thinking it was a one off... This guy was throwing 1" thick branches over the fence! When it didn't stop I called out to the neighbour.

What hell are you doing?
Can't remember his comment... but it was something defiant.
My next comment was: If you don't quit now were going to have a serious problem...
With that he came charging round the fence, I guess to try and intimidate me... I didn't back down so he did instead. It was kinda funny because he came at me with the long handled clippers. I was thinking is this guy going to fight me or clip my nails...
My next comment was: WTF do you think you're doing throwing you shit over the fence into my yard and hitting my truck?
(Long story short the he thought the hedge was coming from my property and was very thoughtfully giving it back to me...)
His next comment (you'll love this one): Why don't you move your fu$%ing ute then.
With which I retorted: It's in my fu^&ing driveway you idiot!
He then countered with the very well thought out statement: I f**king hate yanks!
I said (with a cheerful tone): Really? I kinda like em! Have known many over the years. Not all that fond of their foreign policy but over all their good down to earth folk. (no shit I said this).
His come back... What EVER! and he stormed off.
Later that day I decided to investigate the offending hedge he was so upset about. Turns out it was coming from their property... When I informed his lovely (sarcastically speaking) mother - absolutely no apology...

Last edited by furbacchione; Jan 21st 2011 at 2:01 am.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 1:58 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
No, i'm an F****** c***!
Surely that should be "No, I'm a f****** c***!"

Just keeping up the grammatical standards of the thread.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

ProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond repute

The whole problem is people generalising about a large group of people, i.e. all Americans, all Australians, All British etc. based on isolated incidents.

The OP claimed that Australia was a backward country because of the behaviour of a few people at a restaurant, (this statement is not based on facts. Would such a backwards country rank second on the UN Human Development Index along with other high placings in a multitude of quality of life rankings?) It was a loaded statement and emotionally based.

After that everybody responded by trying to make out all of America and Americans (all 300 million of them) were obnoxious and backward themselves based on one element of US culture.

This sort of thing happens all the time and is the number one reason for animosity between different groups of people. America is a huge country. Some people in that country are outrageous in their views and obnoxious, most however aren't. It is the same in any country and with any culture. In my opinion, blind patriotism is one of the biggest problems affecting the human world.

It is a highly provocative statement to suggest that Australians are <insert negative connotation> and Australia is <insert disparaging attribute> (replace Australia with any other country or miscellaneous group of people)

It is only human nature that the target group are going to defend themselves against blanket attacks directed at them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_distortion

Number two on the list of cognitive distortions, i.e. overgeneralisation. People see psychiatrists to get over depression or anxiety problems and amongst many other things are told to stop overgeneralising about people and life events.

Last edited by ProudVIC; Jan 21st 2011 at 2:01 am. Reason: To avoid the grammar nazis
Old Jan 21st 2011, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ProudVIC
The whole problem is people generalising about a large group of people, i.e. all Americans, all Australians, All British etc. based on isolated incidents.

The OP claimed that Australia was a backward country because of the behaviour of a few people at a restaurant, (this statement is not based on facts. Would such a backwards country rank second on the UN Human Development Index along with other high placings in a multitude of quality of life rankings?) It was a loaded statement and emotionally based.

After that everybody responded by trying to make out all of America and Americans (all 300 million of them) were obnoxious and backward themselves based on one element of US culture.

This sort of thing happens all the time and is the number one reason for animosity between different groups of people. America is a huge country. Some people in that country are outrageous in their views and obnoxious, most however aren't. It is the same in any country and with any culture. In my opinion, blind patriotism is one of the biggest problems affecting the human world.

It is a highly provocative statement to suggest that Australians are <insert negative connotation> and Australia is <insert disparaging attribute> (replace Australia with any other country or miscellaneous group of people)

It is only human nature that the target group are going to defend themselves against blanket attacks directed at them.

Number two on the list of cognitive distortions, i.e. overgeneralisation. People see psychiatrists to get over depression or anxiety problems and amongst many other things are told to stop overgeneralising about people and life events.
Wow, probably the best, most informative post on this entire thread. Thank you!
Old Jan 21st 2011, 2:05 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BILDER
Wow, probably the best, most informative post on this entire thread. Thank you!
Don't be daft, he's an Australian and we all know that they're ALL thick rednecks.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProudVIC

The OP claimed that Australia was a backward country because of the behaviour of a few people at a restaurant, (this statement is not based on facts. Would such a backwards country rank second on the UN Human Development Index along with a multitude of quality of life rankings?) It was a loaded statement and emotionally based.

My instincts tell me that the OP is no more American than I am Australian.

But hey, its all good for a giggle. Subversive at best.

I may be wrong.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 2:07 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble

I may be wrong.
Would they be because they joined the conflict at the start?
Old Jan 21st 2011, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Would they be because they joined the conflict at the start?
Possibly. We've had an influx of new members lately wouldnt you say?

I may be wrong. Perhaps the steam from ironing my favourite 'stalking' balaklava has gone to my head.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 2:12 am
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble

I may be wrong.
You will never know for sure.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BILDER
You will never know for sure.
I commend you because I dont give a shit.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Don't be daft, he's an Australian and we all know that they're ALL thick rednecks.
I wrote that? what a dick move.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 2:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Americans have been getting it for years but it is fair to say their recent foreign policy has taken a bit of the funny side out of it.

Although many will be wary, and generalise about the funniest, I find most people will admit to quite liking Americans or at least knowing decent ones.

And even the silliest of Americans can really be harmless.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 2:55 am
your fair weather friend!

unfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
14 years at uni and you don't know the difference between 'there' and 'their'...

Must have been an American uni.
Christ! who ****ing cares?
Old Jan 21st 2011, 3:04 am
BE Enthusiast

ProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond repute

Although I've never been over to the USA, I'm pretty aware that there is a lot of diversity within the country. With 300 million people spread over a wide area encompassing 50 states and a complex history, demography and geography, you can expect a range of views and attitudes as well as different cultures, accents etc. The UK is the same with heaps of diversity from region to region.

Contrary to popular belief, Australia is similar. There is a very diverse mix of attitudes, beliefs and culture amongst Australians, and not just the multicultural aspect of this diversity but within the 'Anglo-Celtic' population as well.

Whilst I agree there is an element of homogeneity in Australian culture it by no means indicates that all Australians are the same or think the same. Many Australians struggle to deal with the unsophisticated 'bogan' element of Australian culture, and the sometimes confronting directness of some of the people here, as much as many people from Europe and North America do.

I think that people emigrating over here need to be aware of this element of the culture and realise that the bad experiences with certain people that you may have from time to time do not represent the entire country or what Australia is about as a nation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.