Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anti-Americanism, Anti-Foreigners of any kind?

Anti-Americanism, Anti-Foreigners of any kind?

Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:12 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anti-Americanism, Anti-Foreigners of any kind?

Originally Posted by Grayling
Touche
Apparently that what happens in the new advanced pat down they use in the US.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:13 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Apparently that what happens in the new advanced pat down they use in the US.
I have been through it
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:20 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Grayling
I have been through it

The pat downs on my recent trip were just the normal stuff. I was surprised by the pat down on the London Eye. Less surprised about the one going into parliament (although it was a change since the last time I went).
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:22 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

The pat downs on my recent trip were just the normal stuff. I was surprised by the pat down on the London Eye. Less surprised about the one going into parliament (although it was a change since the last time I went).
I got the pat down from a pretty fit woman in Chicago airport
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Are the insults really necessary? And there is a patdown if security feels like it - x-ray scan or not. (NOT 3D, x-ray)
Garbage! DHS, TSA rules protocol states that there is only to be a patdown if they refuse an xray scan. The only other reason they can do a patdown is if their are swab traces of drugs or explosives.

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
We are talking about if you refuse the scanner you numnut. Yes, it is a pat down which firmly feels the genitalia. No one said it was a body cavity search (that's what they do if you fail the pat down).

What is it with Americans and their ability (inability) to read English?

For the record, the scanners at Sydney are a different tech.
Well, I read quite well. 14 years of university will do that! You said that passengers get a strip search. I am not sure if you know what strip search is, but the picture posted earlier of a pat down is NOT the same as a strip search.
Oh and FOR the record, the scanners that are in place at 4 international airports in Australia are made by the same company and are the same model as those used around the world. ProVision is the company. They own he patents for the tech. Google is your friend!
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:32 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BILDER
Garbage! DHS, TSA rules protocol states that there is only to be a patdown if they refuse an xray scan. The only other reason they can do a patdown is if their are swab traces of drugs or explosives.
Really? I've had the shoes off and pat down process in several US airports and never once had I refused anything and I don't even remember being asked if I minded being patted down. Perhaps its just me.

Signed
Abdul Ben Hazim Mohammed Smith
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:33 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I read quite well. 14 years of university will do that! You said that passengers get a strip search. I am not sure if you know what strip search is, but the picture posted earlier of a pat down is NOT the same as a strip search.
Oh and FOR the record, the scanners that are in place at 4 international airports in Australia are made by the same company and are the same model as those used around the world. ProVision is the company. They own he patents for the tech. Google is your friend!
14 years of uni?

Didn't you want a useful job in the real world?
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:33 pm
Account Closed

Are they using them on people yet? They were apparently installed the last time I went through but I never went through one.

Apparently most Aussies are comfortable with the scanners anyway.

What they need to do to make the scanners more acceptable is to have some buttons so the passenger can select what type of skin they have. So they could chose tiger fur or lizard or something else.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:34 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DeadVim
14 years of uni?

Didn't you want a useful job in the real world?
Maybe he has German heritage.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe she can pretend she is a Canadian
Nope, never works...well, maybe only with people who don't know better.

I've run into quite a few Americans trying to pass themselves off as Canadians in my travels over the years. All but one didn't have a clue about basic Canadian geography, had no idea that we don't have a President, and all lacked the usual self depreciating inferiority complex type humour that marks most Canadians abroad. I've yet to meet an American posing as a Canuck who gushed appropriately, "Oh thank goodness you guessed I was Canadian...all I hear is 'What part of the States are you from?'"

So, Americans, if you're going to attempt the charade, plonk yourself at a Tim Hortons with a few Canadian history books, a decent map, a few seasons of Corner Gas (or Kids in the Hall--just for Dorothy ), a laptop so you can access the nfb site (let's hear it for "Log Driver's Waltz), a primer on why the Canadian health care system rocks (remember as a Canadian you will fight to the death for universal health care), a stack of the Canadian lit selections we all had to read in high school, and perhaps one of those "Best of Canada" compilation albums...then at least you can make a passable attempt when you sew the maple leaf to your daypack.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

Maybe he has German heritage.
I don't follow. I am a cardiologist. Let me see if I can say it more simply... I am a doctor, I help people who are ill.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:37 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Japonica

I've run into quite a few Americans trying to pass themselves off as Canadians in my travels over the years. All but one didn't have a clue about basic Canadian geography, had no idea that we don't have a President, and all lacked the usual self depreciating inferiority complex type humour that marks most Canadians abroad. I've yet to meet an American posing as a Canuck who gushed appropriately, "Oh thank goodness you guessed I was Canadian...all I hear is 'What part of the States are you from?'"

So, Americans, if you're going to attempt the charade, plonk yourself at a Tim Hortons with a few Canadian history books, a decent map, a few seasons of Corner Gas (or Kids in the Hall--just for Dorothy ), a laptop so you can access the nfb site (let's hear it for "Log Driver's Waltz), a primer on why the Canadian health care system rocks (remember as a Canadian you will fight to the death for universal health care), a stack of the Canadian lit selections we all had to read in high school, and perhaps one of those "Best of Canada" compilation albums...then at least you can make a passable attempt when you sew the maple leaf to your daypack.
And learn to say aboot instead of about.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

I do like your signature quote. I am Canadian as well, for people who didn't know, but not by birth.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:40 pm
Account Closed

I don't follow. I am a cardiologist. Let me see if I can say it more simply... I am a doctor, I help people who are ill.
Good for you. You're simplification really says a lot.

And cardiology. It's not exactly brain surgery.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Jan 20th 2011 at 11:43 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

I hear Little Mosque on the Prairie is quite good. Oh, and you forgot Hockey Night in Canada with Don Cherry and Ron MacLean.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.