Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anti-Americanism, Anti-Foreigners of any kind?

Anti-Americanism, Anti-Foreigners of any kind?

Old Jan 21st 2011, 7:01 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anti-Americanism, Anti-Foreigners of any kind?

Originally Posted by BILDER
East Texan huh? Galveston. Only Texan city I know of on the Gulf.
Think farther south than that. I am a South Texas girl.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 7:02 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
Oh shit,the americans have found each other,FIRE IN THE HOLE !!!!!!!!!!
puh-leeeeeezzeee.....
Old Jan 21st 2011, 7:03 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Margaret Atwood! National treasure!
One of my favourites. I went to my first hockey game the other night and told my daughter about Hockey Night in Canada, and the fact that sometimes a tooth gets Zamboni-ed up off the ice. Damn if one of the players didn't lose a tooth at the match we watched!
Old Jan 21st 2011, 8:42 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Like over-population...
Old people add to over-population as well.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 8:55 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
What benefits does a global society actually accrue from more children? Barring the assertion that little johnny will grow up to discover carbon capture or a way of cloning the final few urang utans ?

Not more children, just children. The point I made is that society benefits more from children than the parents in a financial sense. Without children the economics of any society would collapse. (The only reason the shakers are still going is that they rely on other people's children.)

With no children you will have no future protectors, workers, entrepreneurs, etc. So how are you going to look after yourself without future children. Any money you have invested will be worth nothing as it needs to be backed by enterprise. And enterprise require workers. When you are no longer able to work where are the workers to come from.

cont/

Last edited by MartinLuther; Jan 21st 2011 at 8:59 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 8:59 pm
Account Closed

cont/

Children by themselves are not the cause of overpopulation. People living longer is also the cause of overpopulation. Better healthcare is also the cause of overpopulation. As can be seen at this time the population growth rate of the world is has more to do with longer life and healthcare but people complain about the children. Why's that? Oh yeah! They've had their cake and now they want to eat it!

Imagine a global society without children. What happens to that global society? It ceases to exist. What benefits does a global society actually accrue from more children? Its very existence.

(Sorry for the 2 posts but the system wouldn't let me post it as a single post.)
Old Jan 21st 2011, 9:12 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Time out....

No one society invented a particular ill, whether it is overconsumption, tyranny, etc. These ills are part of the human condition and they manifest like viruses when a host is weak.

The Germans were susceptible to manipulation post WWI - and look what happened. The American situation occurred post WWII - when the rest of the world had "conveniently" blown each other up (with some help from America) and America was the only economy poised to take advantage of this fact. For a long time we *were* the only major player on the planet - of course, which is why we over-reacted to the Soviets and the communist threat. Now we are finding we are no longer on top by birth right but rather by historic accident, and children who were born during or after WWII are having to adjust to no longer being the automatic rulers of the planet.

Does this mean that there weren't societies before America - and won't be after America is no longer as powerful - who didn't or won't throw their weight around? Hardly.

You'll find that you can only put your point across to people willing to listen and consider it. Bash away if you like, but there are some here who are willing to learn.
A lot of Brits still haven't adjusted to not being the automatic rulers of the planet and none of them were even born when the UK was top dog.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 9:51 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
cont/

Children by themselves are not the cause of overpopulation. People living longer is also the cause of overpopulation. Better healthcare is also the cause of overpopulation. As can be seen at this time the population growth rate of the world is has more to do with longer life and healthcare but people complain about the children. Why's that? Oh yeah! They've had their cake and now they want to eat it!

Imagine a global society without children. What happens to that global society? It ceases to exist. What benefits does a global society actually accrue from more children? Its very existence.

(Sorry for the 2 posts but the system wouldn't let me post it as a single post.)
You rightly say that there are a variety of reasons for the overpopulation problem we are now facing. I don't think I ever advocated that we banned people from having any children so I am going to ignore that part of your argument.... Encouraging people to breed less via economic disincentive - to no more than 2 at most to prevent net population growth seems to be the rational way forward and as awareness of climate change grows hopefully more couples will abstain...
Old Jan 21st 2011, 10:06 pm
Account Closed

You rightly say that there are a variety of reasons for the overpopulation problem we are now facing. I don't think I ever advocated that we banned people from having any children so I am going to ignore that part of your argument.... Encouraging people to breed less via economic disincentive - to no more than 2 at most to prevent net population growth seems to be the rational way forward and as awareness of climate change grows hopefully more couples will abstain...
I never said you advocated it. I used it to highlight the benefit society gets from children (i.e. no children equals no society) which was countering the point that children only provide self-gratification to parents.

Restricting children is all a bit moot now as the process is happening naturally anyway. The population of the world will continue to grow for some years yet but is predicted to top out in a few decades.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
I think anti-americanism is alive and well in the antipodes...sadly most of it is based on ignorance - i.e. people don't realise that anti-abortionists, crazy right wingers, etc. don't represent all americans.
However the American government does represent all Americans it is America's foreign policy and geo-politics that the rest of the world has a problem with. I don't think many people give two shits about anti-abortionists or crazy right-wingers.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BILDER
Honestly, I really, really wish we did.
That would be another war America would lose...
Old Jan 21st 2011, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Old people add to over-population as well.
Yeah but they don't last very long.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yas awareness of climate change grows hopefully more couples will abstain...
You mean that con that goes by the name of anthropogenic global warming? The vehicle to tax the air we breathe and create a trillion dollar industry out of thin air?
Old Jan 21st 2011, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
You mean that con that goes by the name of anthropogenic global warming? The vehicle to tax the air we breathe and create a trillion dollar industry out of thin air?
Honestly, I am starting to think you are a fellow American!(that's probably the worst insult to you). Do you have an education? Do you believe in evolution?
Old Jan 21st 2011, 10:52 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I can only manage to read one page of this - have we got to the bit yet where it's generally accepted that the OP is not American and has probably never set foot in Tet's?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.